A New Friend: The Best Restaurant in Chicago

I made a new friend last night, one that I suspect will be a friend for a long time.

I’m speaking of the restaurant, L20.

Last night, my partner Craig as well as board member Barry Lipton and I dined at L20–Chicago’s 3 Michelin star restaurant, which for a while had been wobbling in the wake of the departure of Chef Laurent Gras. It was no secret that I was no fan of Gras’ style, personality or his cooking.

With new chefs, last night’s dinner was the best meal I have had in Chicago. Bar none. And IMHO it is certainly at a level to compete successfully at the New York Times **** level. It deserves its Michelin *** under the new team.

First, as has always been the case, of course, the room is beautiful and sedate and slightly reminiscent of the dining room of Le Bernardin in NYC–modern, somewhat nondescript, in the background. The front of the house staff were everything they should be–attentive, prompt, engaging when we hoped they would be, in the background when we were talking amongst ourselves. I had remarked that we were seated at the same table as I had been on a previous, far less fortunate visit a year or two ago (which I wrote about online in a now somewhat infamous post) and as I was telling Barry and Craig the story, the service manager came by and I mentioned it to him. “I was here that night” he pointed out, acknowledging but smiling with no hint of disapproval or animus. Instead, he seemed relaxed. The mere fact he felt free to acknowledge that reveals a new aspect of L20 not present before–the staff is having a good time. They are friendly and relaxed. Professional but enjoying themselves, and it rubs off on the guests.

In the kitchen is chef de cuisine Matt Kirkley–an alumnus of Ria, and before that Robuchon Las Vegas (The Mansion) and The Fat Duck in London. His sous chef is Nick Janutol who is also a strong presence–he is an alumnus of Eleven Madison Park among others. These two are fearless and creative. They have enormous, enormous talent and creativity. At the end of the dinner, I thought to myself “What a find these guys are–somebody knew what they were doing when they found them.” There is enough creativity in that large kitchen to produce genius. (What a change from before, when guests were not allowed in the kitchen and the FOH staff was not allowed to speak to the chef.)

We put ourselves in their more than capable hands. Here is what we had:

Amuse 1: Smoked Salmon Mousse, Cucumber Gelee
Amuse 2: Lobster Roll, Truffle Vinaigrette
Course 1: Tuna, Avocado, Tomato Gelee, Caviar
Course 2: English Pea, Truffle Butter, Lavender Milk
Course 3: Maine Diver Scallop, Cooked in its Shell, Black Truffle, Leek
Course 4: Bouillabaisse, Scorpionfish, Dourade, Tomato Confit, Fennel
Course 5: Lamb Loin, Sweetbreads, Zucchini
Course 6: Wagyu Tenderloin, Potato Fondant, Royal Trumpet Mushroom
PreDessert: Sake Cucumber Ice, Lime Zest
Dessert : Chocolate Egg, Salted Caramel, Malted Milk Granite

I didn’t take pics of the Amuse but for the dinner:
So visually stunning and equally stunning in taste! It was an Hawaiian Big Eye Tuna Tartare set with tomato water and on the other side, thinly sliced avocado and caviar. What a way to start! I absolutely loved this dish. Probably my favorite of the night. The flavors and texture were absolutely–there’s that word again–stunning.

Next up:
This was English peas in a risotto style with truffle butter and lavender on top. The peas were bursting with flavor and cooked al dente. The combination with the foam and truffle butter was great.

Next, a french server came along with a pastry disk–who knew what it was or what was inside? He showed it to me, then on the side, removed the pastry coating and there was the shell of a scallop, still attached at the bottom. It was cooked perfectly–as I like to say, flirting with being underdone but just perfectly cooked. On top–black truffle disks. Here’s a look:
More in the next post to keep the pics going.

continued:

A server next came with three beautiful whole fish on a silver platter of ice, to show us the 3 kinds of fish they were using in the bouillabaisse–dorade and two others (I will post the names when the menu is sent). This is the resulting dish:
I love lamb, and the kitchen next sent out a beautiful Colorado lamb saddle with zucchini blossom and zucchini basket. Look at the weaving of zucchini! I asked how long it took the cook to do one–they said about 15 minutes per weave. Wow!
The lamb was cooked perfectly–so much so I asked if it was cooked sous vide then finished on the stove but they said no, it was roasted. So flavorful–just bursting of lamb flavor and tenderness.

To finish the meat courses was an A11 grade wagyu from Australia. Grade A12 is the highest level and it is not exported. They told me they thought they might be the only restaurant (at least in Chicago) importing the grade A11. It was so marbled it was almost like eating a foie gras:
The restaurant has a new pastry chef–Stephanie Pride who had been at Michelin ** Ria. Ria’s loss is L20’s gain. Craig had an incredible chocolate egg filled with frozen caramel mousse with 64% cocoa chocolate as I recall. It looked stunning.

Barry and I had a cheese course (5 cheese choices). By then, it was 4+ hours and time to wind down. We had about a 20 minute tour of the kitchen by sous chef Nick, met many of the very friendly staff, and saw the huge space they have to work in with all the equipment.

To give you an idea of how creative and relaxed the chefs and cooks are, they made a special menu for Craig, who does not like seafood but agreed to go with us to the restaurant so we could try it out. One of his dishes was a beautiful duck dish with chanterelle mushrooms and a lovely broth. It looked so good. During the kitchen tour, Nick asked Craig “How did you like the duck?” “It was terrific” Craig said. “We came up with that on the fly” Nick confessed. So creative!!! These guys are having fun and its infectious in the spirit of the cuisine.

This is the best restaurant in Chicago.

Wow. What beautiful food! Thanks for posting.

Wilfred - Thank you for posting. I may need t change my upcoming reservation at Tru.

George

Nice!

that first tuna/watermelon presentation is perfecto WVG! I saw it on your facebook and wanted to comment!

Looks and sounds amazing!! How did you get a tour of the kitchen?

The staff spontaneously asked if we would be interested in a tour of the kitchen. They probably saw we were enthusiastic about the food and knowing my experience last time, I think they also wanted to communicate how open they now are in terms of communication. It was a treat!

Wow Wilf, that meal looks fantastic and sounds like a far, far cry from the somewhat uninspired meal we had back in 2008. I’m jealous!

Eric: And Nick, the sous chef, worked with Jason Franey at EMP! Small world, eh?

Very small world!

And the two things I DO remember from our meal were 1999 Clos des Goisses and 1982 Pichon Lalande. :slight_smile:

Very cool! Talk about awesome service. [welldone.gif]

will have to give L20 a try in the very near future. thanks for the pics

Unreal. I gotta know what you drink with something that epic…

Great write-up and pics!! I fully concur. I have been twice this year - once for my father’s 70th in the private room (they did a wonderful job and I would highly recommend it for a small party) and once for a business dinner a few weeks ago - both very different menus with no overlaps and both incredible throughout. Stunning overall with wonderful service, including excellent wine service. L2O and Ria (a couple dinners there this year were terrific as well) are the two restaurants I always suggest when asked (everyone has Alinea on their mind).

They have a good/deep list but you have to pay up pretty steeply for the gems. However, they are very gracious with BYO which is what I have done apart from a recent business dinner (though still did ok for that one with a couple of Baumard whites to start and a Fourrier to finish).

Wilfred - great pics and nice review. My L20 experience was fantastic- but that is back within 3-4 months of opening and Gras was still there. Stunningly beautiful food- and the flavors were amazing. Thanks for the update.

Thanks so much for posting this, Wilfred. Time to re-up

A testament to Scott Barton the managing partner there and at Tru. Can’t wait to go back.

Fantastic!