Whole Hog Night at Oliveto in Oakland....YEE HAW!

Last night Traci and I blew out a dinner with Jason B Lewis and his wife Lynn at Oliveto’s Whole Hog Dinner. Oliveto is a terrific Bay Area restaurant that is always one of the best and has spawned many terrific off shoot restaurants…their themed dinners - Truffle, Tomato, Oceanaire, and Whole Hog are amazing…with Whole Hog my favorite. You can see the menu online at http://www.oliveto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; under the special events sections. Here’s our picks:

ANTIPASTI
Whole Cuts - prosciutto, lonza, coppa, lardo, spallacia and pancetta

Potted and Formed Pork - Pate capriccioso, pork liver pate, cicciolata, coppa di testa, mortadella and salame cotto

Dry - Cured Salami - Soppressata, crespone, felino, wild boar, Milano, finocchiona, vasca, rustica, nostrano, and piccante…

Everything delicious and GONE BABY GONE

PASTA AND END/OFFAL CUTS

Panzerotto of pork liver pate with Medjool dates and arugula
Mostaccioli with guanciale and pancetta ragu, aged Provolone Cheese
Gnocci del Casentino with little pork meatballs
Canederli: Fruilian bread and pork dumplings with pork and date sugo
Pappardelle nere with pork heart and wild mushroom ragu

HOT SPECIALTIES
Tofeja del Canavese: Piedmontese peasant braise of pork shoulder, little cotechino sausages, wild boar spare ribs and pork skin rollatini with Borlotti beans

Spit roasted pork belly with Sicilian nero d/avola gelantina, chestnut honey, Castelvetrano olives and almonds

Wild Boar scaloppine alla milanese with Meyer lemon, fried capers and arugula

Choucroute garni with spit-roasted pork pastrami, pork belly rib and saucisse d’ail…

I’m still full…but what a wonderful night to sacrifice the pig…

[shock.gif]

Dayum . . . did you go out and wallow in the mud afterward?

Luckily, Traci and walked home from dinner last night, unfortunately it was only 3 blocks.

You made it without being mugged? [diablo.gif]

Didn’t even look over my shoulder…hopefully that nimrod from eBob won’t be posting here about crime in Oakland, tattoos on servers, etc., from the safety of West Palm Beach

Well, I wouldn’t have walked home anywhere else except in Rockridge or Piedmont. Okay, Montclair.

Me neither…well, Temescal is okay.

Tony; I love to hear about the theme dinners at Oliveto…next year we all do the truffle night!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Marshall - love the ever rotating avatars! You got it!!!