Bo ssam

Love this. Must have oysters

Looks better than Kansas City BBQ. [stirthepothal.gif]

Went twice for the Bo Ssam at Momofuku. The pork shoulder indeed was quite delicious. The oysters were more an afterthought.

That would be damning with faint praise.

(wrote the Texan who likes Texas style bbq) [stirthepothal.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

Disagree on the oysters. I’m with Chang on this one. I love the texture and brininess that the oysters add

Sounds too sweet to me, but I plan to give it a whirl.

A local Italian joint, Double Zero, offers a wonderful Calabrian version, l’Arrosto: Succulent pork shoulder, flat bread (“pizza nuvole”), pickled vegetables, grilled radicchio, pepper jelly, roasted garlic puree, Calabrian peppers, apple-almond mostarda…

The outermost crust is sweet and if you overdo it, worse, it can be salty. But when you put the condiments on it, it’s definitely not a sweet dish. I’ve made maybe 25 of these now. What I want are the little tongs they have at the restaurant. I’ve never found those.

yum. now to find 6 friends who want to drive to my house :smiley:

Victor, is that Noodletown place they credit for the ginger scallion thing where you were?

The ginger scallion thing is, btw, the real star in this dish. We’ve had slow roasted pork before.

You know what’s funny, the ginger scallion thing isn’t a “noodle place” thing. It’s a key ingredient in Cantonese style Roast/BBQ Meat. If you order Roast Duck, chicken, pork it comes with the ginger scallion sauce. Not sure how good that’d taste on noodle lol.

It tastes awesome. The best part of making bo ssam is tossing the whole mess with noodles the next day. (I skip the oysters.) Noodles and ginger scallion tossed in noodles, shredded pork, drizzled with ssam sauce and a little sirahcha?
FRAZY good.

Does someone have a postable recipe?

Absolutely giving this a shot in the near future.

I believe I will be making this for our Super Bowl party. If anyone makes it before then, please post notes! Like Robert I am a little concerned about it being too sweet…

[scratch.gif]

See first post in thread, second link.

Made this several times since I got the Momofuku book last year.
And again today…shoulder went on the BGE about two hours ago.
Yum.

It’s not sweet. If anything it’s salty. Make sure you use kosher salt or you’ll be sorry. And we’re only talking about the outermost crust. It’s not ribs. It’s shoulder. It’s five inches thick. The sweet part is a tiny part of the whole.

Bingo. Forgot to mention that above.
I use about half the salt that Chang calls for.
I find a lot of his recipes rather salty.