Hand made pasta

Just for the intellectual exercise, I made pasta completely by hand this morning (well method, hand kneading, rolling pin, hand cut); it was pretty simple until I had to roll it out, then it was like trying to roll an eraser. Eventually got it thin enough, but it took a while! No doubt I will at least use my Atlas machine for the rolling out part next time.

Yes, pasta is really easy by hand until that last step of getting thin, uniform sheets. It also sounds like maybe you had a bit more gluten than you wanted if it was springing back so much.

I knead mine by hand until it springs back when you push your thumb into it, but then I let it rest for a while (generally about an hour or so) before I roll it with the machine or a pin. The rest seems to help, but I use the machine about 95% of the time for rolling.

Yeah, that’s what I ended up doing, though only for 1/2 hr. It rolled out a lot easier after the rest.

I like power tools. I make mine in a food processor. consistency of corn meal after pulsing. gather it up and let it rest in a bag for half an hour and its perfect.

It may have been difficult to roll out, but it sure was delicious for dinner tonight. Great job!

I bought my wife a very nice hand crank pasta machine but I eventually had to admit the Kitchen Aid pasta roller is pretty darn handy for quick homemade pasta.

Yup, let the dough rest in the fridge.

We have had an Atlas hand crank for 15 years or so…the C-clamp busted but otherwise its been a rock. Eventually bought a motor for it that really makes the job easier and allows the machine to be used on more surfaces (no need to clamp down)

Buying a nice heavy silicone rolling pin will save you lots of time. Good investment too.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

What motor… did you get?

Resting is key.

That being said, I still use the Atlas machine. Best money I ever spent.

PASTA TRICKS DRY AND FRESH

Used my Atlas religiously for 10 years, but can’t get it to clamp to the new countertops. Wife got me the Kitchen Aid attachment and use it at least once a week, often more. Best attachment investment yet, closely followed by the meat grinder and ice cream attachments. Love it. -mJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I think of hand made pasta, I think hand mixed, hand kneaded, hand rolled and hand cut. There is a belief that the oils and warmth of the human hand adds to the rusticity and appeal that is real ‘hand made pasta’. Something very rewarding about eating real hand made pasta that you just can’t help but feel good about. It certainly is a labor of love. let’s face it, there is some amazing pastas available just about everywhere these day, both fresh and dried, but when you invite guests to enjoy what you have created just from the sheer love of doing it, makes it all the more special. I love my machines, ravioli plates and the like, but the real hand cut stuff is what’s best enjoyed in our home. All the unevenness and unfinished edges just scream love. Anyways, sorry to wax poetic, but I know my grandmother would be proud, had she been alive to see it. Mom is and you can’t buy that in a box…

Cheers!

it’s been a month or so since I’ve maded pasta, thanks for starting this thread.

Making some this afternoon

00 flour a must!

Francois Mauss once took me to the Michelin *** restaurant Dal Pescatore in Italy. The chef, Nadia, took me into the kitchen and showed me how they make handmade pasta. I noticed they were using an industrial size kitchen aid with the attachment (it was HUGE!) to roll the sheets. Chef Nadia emphasized how important it is to knead the dough on a wooden board to absorb the humidity in the dough.

The only mark on it is from “Imperia Trading SrL” “type Nuova Pasta Facile”

Just got my ‘third hand’.
On a day trip to Arthur Ave, I grabbed the Imperia 180 pasta machine motor.
$80

I will try it this coming weekend.

Somehow I’ve never mastered the art of integrating the egg from a well in the flour like that without having a “break in the dam” make all the egg flow out the side and make a big mess. So now I wimp out and mix it in a bowl before transferring it to the board to knead.

if you look at the photo you might be able to tell that my flour well in in a bowl.

I like to mix with a fork and knead by hand.