I forgot how bad Outback sucks

Until we went last night. It was the Birthday Girls’ request to eat there so we brought her.
Menu in small print with poor lighting made it impossible to read. I should have stopped while I was ahead. Mai Tai was horrible and maybe 4oz with the rest ice. Rib Eye was overcooked and flavorless. How does one manage to remove the flavor from a Rib Eye? Also, how do you grill a steak and not leave grill marks on the meat? I could have sworn it was broiled. The baked potato had a nice salty crust on it. Should have rubbed it on the steak.
Does anyone really enjoy eating here? [bleh.gif]

I saw the title of this thread and I started busting up…

How often have we all went into some crappy restaurant for WHATEVER reason and thought the same thing.

My mom and brother insisted on going to the Olive Garden a few months ago. Oh Christ… I remembered t was bad, but forgot just how bad it really was.

… to answer your question, I’m sure there are people that enjoy Outback, but not me.

Nice laugh to start off the day

Idiots at corporate take us there sometimes. If they don’t have a vegetarian option, I tell them to just hold the fish. That is how much I like them.

Brain,

Outback, Denny’s, Lyon’s, IHOP, Black Angus, TGI Friday’s, etc., were just fine for you all those years until you became a wine snob. Now you’ve developed expectations, a sense of taste and an appreciation for fine food. [cheers.gif]

Not so fast now Randy. Those places were fine when I was a weekend warrior barhopping and getting loaded. But that was many many moons ago BC (before children). Now they’re the ones barhopping and eating nasty chain food. I’ve always enjoyed fine food though.

I’ve only become a snob since meeting you all here. neener

Did you have the bloomin’ onion???

A great client that I meet with every month or two always prefers that we have lunch at Olive Garden. Maybe twice in twenty years have I gotten him to allow me to take him to really nice restaurants and he just doesn’t care for them. I guess I’ll try again in another ten years.

I’ll never forget being taken to Red Lobster for lunch and being shown the plastic dessert replicas. Mmmm . . . appetizing.

I went to one a few months ago, and it wasn’t that bad. The steak was nothing special, but had some flavor, the Ceasar salad was actually very good, and I had some fresh fruit for dessert. in my hierarchy of bad food,Burger King and White Castle win easily followed by Applebys.

No, inside joke.

IBS? Not this time thank goodness.

In Rio de Janeiro there are joints on almost every corner where they will try to stuff a whole cow (deliciously seasoned and grilled rare) down your throat for less than $15 including all the salad, pasta, rice and beans and many other sides you can handle. Yet, in every nice shopping center, there is an Outback with a line out the door as they have successfully marketed themselves as the chic and imported alternative (and it is MORE expensive than the local joints by a good bit).

[wow.gif] [swearing.gif]

What I think is remarkable is – there is an Outback just off Route 1, near where I live. Any time you drive past it between, say, 5:30 and 11:30 PM, there is a LINE OF PEOPLE WAITING OUTSIDE. Young people, just dying to get in and eat their bloomin’ onion.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste (or I suppose the intelligence) of the American people!

(And – Happy Fourth of July!)

I’ve never been to Outback - isn’t there a thread on here about how good they are (for yuppy bar food), too? That they bend over backwards for customers? cg

I have never had the pleasure of eating at Outback. But, I have eaten at what I am sure is the equally delicious Rain Forest Cafe and a few other chains.

I used to be a food snob and turned up my nose to all the chain restaurants, but I’ve come to appreciate that they serve a purpose and they serve a consistent product which makes people feel comfortable.
I never seek out chain restaurants, but I don’t make fun of people who enjoy them.

Same happens here too.
When I lived in the SJ Valley, my ex-bf used to eat regularly at a mom and pop Italian joint. They were usually pretty busy on weekend nights, but the line for the Olive Garden was out the door. Needless to say, mom and pop were actually Italian- and were really good cooks!

Agreed. Just think about how people used to disdain screw-top bottles.

Oh come on.
Point your finger and laugh a little. newhere [drinkers.gif] [tease.gif]

I had a company function a couple years ago in Palm Springs. We ended up eating at Outback and then drove back to San Diego. Had to stop like 3 times…Brings back horrible memories