Bagels at home?

Anyone made them? Care to share the recipe? There are lots on the Interwebz but I don’t know how to tell a good one from one that produces dreck.

I’d be interested in this as well. I’ve never attempted these at home.

DId it years ago. All I can remember is that you dropped the dough into boiling potato water (water that potatoes had been boiled in).

We just made our first batch from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849751404/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=inkstainedw05-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849751404

They came out looking like this:

It was a same day recipe and didn’t have the malt syrup in the dough or the poaching water which seem to be required. Nor did the dough get a 12-18 hour “retard” in the fridge. Bagels were tasty right out of the oven, but less impressive this morning.

Am now making this recipe from Peter Reinhart and will report back tomorrow after we bake them. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Bagels-366757

damn, did you leave any poppy seeds for everyone else?
alan

Alan,
The picture tells you Ken needs plausible deniability for that upcoming random drug test at work.

*Of course, kidding Ken…

Here ya go Bob!

Blueberry Bagels Bagels
yields 8

2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups warm water
3 1/2 cups bread flour, plus extra for kneading
1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup freeze dried blueberries

In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, cinnamon, and lemon zest. With the mixer on low, slowly add the water. Continue to mix until the dough comes together in a mass, about 4-6 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and knead for another 8-10 minutes until soft and smooth. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and gently knead the blueberries in by hand. Place the dough in a bowl sprayed lightly with non-stick baking spray. Cover with a towel or lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Gently de-gas the dough and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425º F and bring a large pot of water to a boil; then reduce to a simmer.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Press each piece down to get rid of air bubbles. Form into balls and roll the balls between your palm and the work surface, rotating to form a smooth ball. Coat a finger in flour and press it through each ball to form a ring. Twirl the ring around the index finger of one hand and the thumb of the other, stretching the dough and widening the hole to about 1/3 of the bagel’s diameter. Place the bagels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat and cover with a towel. Let rest for another 10 minutes.

Gently lower the bagels into the water in batches, 2-3 bagels at a time. Boil uncovered for about 1 minute. Turn them over once and boil for another minute. Using a perforated skimmer, remove the bagels from the pot, letting the water drain; return to the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!

Source: Adapted from Bread by Eric Treuille & Ursula Ferrigno

I love making my own homemade bagels and since I started doing them myself, will not even buy the world-famous ones from my hometown of Montreal anymore as they taste like cardboard glue paste to me now. I use a bread machine to make the dough and then do everything else by hand. Here’s my recipe for pumpernickel bagels:

1 cup rye flour
2 1/2 cups multi-grain flour
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 T olive oil
2 tsp salt
2 T cocoa
2 tsp instant hot coffee crystals
1/3 cup molasses
2 T malted hot drink mix i.e. Ovaltine
1 T bread machine yeast

Place all the ingredients starting with the liquids first, ending with the dry flours and topping it all off with the yeast in a little mound on top of the flour. Set your bread machine to dough setting and let her rip until the dough cycle is completed. This will make your pumpernickel dough.

Once done, place the dough on a floured cookie sheet, divide into 8 - 12 balls depending on how big you like your bagels. Set two large pots of water to boil on the stove. This allows you to work several bagels at once and throw more in the oven at the same time.

Roll the balls out into long strands and join them at the ends to make your bagels. Let these rest for about 10 minutes and preheat the oven to 350. Boil the bagels in the pots for 2-3 minutes, making sure to turn them over at least once. Place them on parchment paper covered cookie sheets and bake for 30 minutes, turning at the 15 minute mark. Enjoy.

Sorry, can’t resist the story even tho it’s a bit off thread. Last time I was in Montreal, a friend recommended we try Maison du Bagel for the best Montreal bagels. So we went. Nice place, but everyone working there was Hispanic. Nothing like diversity, I guess!

Too much work. Now soft pretzels, that’s another story.

Yeah, my son was on the topping task. You brush with an egg wash and then either sprinkle them on, or dredge them. He dredged…

Very tasty, however…

Blueberry? Somewhere, the ghosts of my ancestors are shuddering…

I realize that many, many people like the exotic bagel toppings or mix-ins, but I’m a bit of a purist in that regard…

You can buy potato starch

Awesome [snort.gif]

Well, I guess this calls for me to resurrect this one - which is what prompted Mel’s post to begin with.

Now it all comes back. Sorry, Mel.

The recipe I am using has you add barley malt syrup (or malt extract) plus baking soda and salt to the water. Gives it that nice outer sheen.

Latest batch. Taste test coming in about 30 minutes…

The Epicurious recipe is a huge improvement in the overall texture. Crust is chewy, with a nice, subtle tanginess. Interior has nice bread-y texture. Flavor is not very pronounced, but this recipe is a winner. Will make again with the malt extract I got from the brew supply store in place of the barley malt syrup to see if that changes the flavor. Will also try a longer retard step in the fridge (closer to 24 hours instead of the 18 that this batch got).

Made these with the Reinhart recipe Ken posted. Excellent, and they got a thumbs up from my Brooklyn-born Jewish neighbor.
IMG_0298.JPG