New Range Advice/Opinions/Comments...Blue Star 48"

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#101 Post by Kenny H » February 27th, 2015, 7:26 am

Chuck how do you like the fit and finish? There seems to be a lot of the complaints I see floating around with Capital. Mis-aligned knobs, racks don't smoothly come out of oven due to poor fit, grates not being level for pans, etc. Being in the midwest, I'm not excited about service calls.

That kind of stuff would drive me nuts.
H0eve!kamp

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#102 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 27th, 2015, 8:13 am

johngonzales wrote:Miele now has a direct plumbed steam oven. It's much lower priced than the Gaggenau version. I'm putting one in a current project. The plumbing is tricky, especially the drain.
Excuse my ignorance on this -- I guess I could research it, but what is the appeal/benefit of a "steam oven", and what is it suited for? I have no clue.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#103 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 27th, 2015, 9:05 am

Stuart - A steam oven (in our case, a steam convection oven) allows you to control the humidity level inside the oven while cooking. It is incredibly useful for obvious things like, well, steaming - we love to do Asian preps of whole fish steamed in the oven, for instance, or dumplings, as well as healthy steaming of vegetables - but also for less obvious things like reheating leftovers. You can reheat chicken without it drying out, including re-crisping the skin, and it's the only effective way (to me) to reheat pizza. It also does a great job with toasting nuts etc., and is beloved of many serious bakers because you can adjust the humidity. You can also run it very low, which conventional ovens aren't great at doing, say 100 degrees. You can set it at exactly 145 degrees, 35% humidity and let it run for 8 hours. You don't have to baste. You can do Chinese double-boiled soups in it. It's an amazing tool.

The convection part on top of the steam adds the ability to brown and crisp things as well as steam them. We love ours.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

#104 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 27th, 2015, 9:20 am

Thanks, Sarah....It does seem like there are many less costly alternatives to a steam oven for doing most of those things, though? In other words, without such an oven, most of these things are still feasible to do with great effort.

But, why not...there doesn't seem to be a downside if you've got the means, the space and the interest. Can you run these ovens just with convection or just with dry heat, like a conventional oven, ie, is steam an added feature, rather than involved in all cooking in the oven?

Like I said, I had never hear of them.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#105 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 27th, 2015, 9:38 am

You can run them any way you want - steam, convection, combo, no humidity etc.

And sure - most things are still possible without the best tool for the job. But if the best tool for the job is available, why not get it?

#106 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 27th, 2015, 9:50 am

Too philosphical. [pillow-fight.gif]

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Chuck Miller » February 27th, 2015, 10:37 am

Kenny H wrote:Chuck how do you like the fit and finish? There seems to be a lot of the complaints I see floating around with Capital. Mis-aligned knobs, racks don't smoothly come out of oven due to poor fit, grates not being level for pans, etc. Being in the midwest, I'm not excited about service calls.

That kind of stuff would drive me nuts.
My range has had no problems with fit or finish. My only minor complaint is that it's hard to see the temperature markings on the oven control knob (red numbers on chrome) unless I get just the right angle on it, or I pull out a flashlight. The knob is under the protruding front ledge of the stove top.
Chuck Miller

slada

#108 Post by slada » March 1st, 2015, 4:10 pm

Hi, just catching up on this thread.

We remodeled about 18-24 months ago and put in a 48" Blue Star range with the 6 burner and griddle configuration. It was actually a floor model found locally with "french doors" (side hinged) and was technically an island model (virturally no "backsplash") that we put into an alcove under a custom stone hood. Looks great but I have to say I wish we had gone with a Blue Star range top and separate elective ovens elsewhere.

The gas range top is great, and we use and like the griddle- only qualm being simmer at lowest setting is still too hot (though I think this is adjustable).

The ovens though, suck. The large oven fits a full sheet and the smaller a half sheet and that is good but both take incredibly L-O-N-G to heat up and are incredibly uneven (back way hotter than the front). Temperature setting off in both such that I have to use separate dedicated oven thermometers in each oven. With convection option in large oven the heating a bit more consistent but to be honest, from an oven perspective I prefer our old $500 Amana electric oven.
cheers, sam lada

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Kenny H » April 9th, 2015, 10:20 am

Just ordered up the 48" Capital Connoisseurian, 6 open burner with grill. Cobalt blue. 12 week lead time! New kitchen is going to rock.

Thanks guys!
H0eve!kamp

P. Willenberg

#110 Post by P. Willenberg » April 9th, 2015, 12:12 pm

slada wrote: The gas range top is great, and we use and like the griddle- only qualm being simmer at lowest setting is still too hot (though I think this is adjustable).
Could you turn the griddle on and use it as your simmer station like a French top?
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

slada

#111 Post by slada » April 9th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Yes, in fact have done that when run out of space but griddle does take a bit of time to heat up

Btw clean up is a breeZe on this thing so that is good too
cheers, sam lada

P. Willenberg

#112 Post by P. Willenberg » May 18th, 2016, 7:19 am

What have people done for replacing ignitors, specifically the oven ignitor? Mine is out and the Garland part #703301 is $180+. The Blue Star part is BS-703301 so you’d think they are interchangeable but all the Blue Star stuff is 22k-25k BTU, not 30k like mine (I’ve got the predecessor to the Blue Star a Garland RCS30-IR).

1) So are you Blue Star owners buying the OEM Blue Star ignitors?
2) Are you buying an aftermarket piece that’s compatible?
3) Any ideas if my Garland will accept the answers to questions 1 and 2?
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by ClarkstonMark » May 18th, 2016, 2:37 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:What have people done for replacing ignitors, specifically the oven ignitor? Mine is out and the Garland part #703301 is $180+. The Blue Star part is BS-703301 so you’d think they are interchangeable but all the Blue Star stuff is 22k-25k BTU, not 30k like mine (I’ve got the predecessor to the Blue Star a Garland RCS30-IR).

I don't think the btu output of the burner will be an issue for the igniter.
Get the cheaper BS part.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by gene keenan » May 18th, 2016, 2:41 pm

P. Willenberg wrote:What have people done for replacing ignitors, specifically the oven ignitor? Mine is out and the Garland part #703301 is $180+. The Blue Star part is BS-703301 so you’d think they are interchangeable but all the Blue Star stuff is 22k-25k BTU, not 30k like mine (I’ve got the predecessor to the Blue Star a Garland RCS30-IR).

The ignitor wouldn't change because of the BTU of the burner. For instance the range top uses the same exact ignitor for all burners. I actually took out the low BTU simmer burner and replaced it with the 22k. The ignitors on these things go out somewhat frequently.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

Brett Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Brett Johnson » May 19th, 2016, 1:47 pm

slada wrote:Yes, in fact have done that when run out of space but griddle does take a bit of time to heat up

Btw clean up is a breeZe on this thing so that is good too
What is your preferred method of cleaning?

I agree on the crazy slow lag to warm up the oven. I've also experience that the ignitors on the range don't last long at all.

P. Willenberg

#116 Post by P. Willenberg » May 19th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Does your oven take forever to turn on? I think that's a faulty igniter, but I'll let you know in 5-7 business days ;)

My work around is to blast the broiler for a while which heats up the igniter enough until it works.
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Brett Johnson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Brett Johnson » May 19th, 2016, 3:23 pm

The oven ignitor is fine; it clicks on normally, just takes a lot of time to get to temperature. Using the uber broiler is a good idea though.

For me, it's the ignitors on the range that go bad. One of them was screwed on so tightly that it stripped and I can't get it out.

gene keenan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#118 Post by gene keenan » May 25th, 2016, 2:52 pm

The ovens do take a while to come to temp.
Jerry loved well aged BV Private Reserve Georges De Latour

#119 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » May 25th, 2016, 3:14 pm

FWIW, I have Blue Star in-kitchen grill and cooktop...and the grill takes a long time to get to the right temp for grilling...but...what I had before was like a blowtorch and I like this better...

Scott Butler

#120 Post by Scott Butler » May 26th, 2016, 9:58 am

Wow, this is a great discussion, and timely. You may have seen my "gas or induction" thread. We decided on gas. I started looking at all the stuff at Lowe's, Sears, etc and wasn't loving what I saw - then I saw all all of this!

Leaning toward Blue Star or Capital, 30" cooktop (no oven). But lots of reading and checking and quoting still to come.

Reading that Viking was sold turned me away from them. That always turns out bad. We bought an A/C unit last summer and went with a Trane. They had just been purchased by Ingersoll Rand. We had tons of trouble with the unit and the repair guy said "yep, they just went way down in quality, I-R is trying to recoup their investment so they are using cheaper parts." Eventually after the 3rd repair, my local guys chewed i-R out and they sent us a new "new" unit which has been excellent.

So that steers me from Viking.
WOTY:61 Chateau Verdignan

Andrew W.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#121 Post by Andrew W. » May 26th, 2016, 11:50 am

Question for everyone with the 48's with a grill, do you actually find it useful? We're building right now and I'm trying to decide between a 36 and 48 Wolf (only option is Thermidor or Wolf due to supplier). Obviously a big (~4k) jump from 36 to 48 unless I ditch dual fuel, plus extra hood costs, so trying to get a gauge if these things are useful. There will be an outdoor grill downstairs under a deck, so grilling in rain etc isn't an issue. The second, smaller oven seems like one of those cool but I'll probably never use things.
A. 'Wy.man'

Jay T.

#122 Post by Jay T. » May 27th, 2016, 11:51 am

Scott Butler wrote:Wow, this is a great discussion, and timely. You may have seen my "gas or induction" thread. We decided on gas. I started looking at all the stuff at Lowe's, Sears, etc and wasn't loving what I saw - then I saw all all of this!

Leaning toward Blue Star or Capital, 30" cooktop (no oven). But lots of reading and checking and quoting still to come.

Reading that Viking was sold turned me away from them. That always turns out bad. We bought an A/C unit last summer and went with a Trane. They had just been purchased by Ingersoll Rand. We had tons of trouble with the unit and the repair guy said "yep, they just went way down in quality, I-R is trying to recoup their investment so they are using cheaper parts." Eventually after the 3rd repair, my local guys chewed i-R out and they sent us a new "new" unit which has been excellent.

So that steers me from Viking.
I've done tons of research over the last 2 years. I think we're going to go induction. But if we were going to do gas, we'd choose between Blue Star and Capital as well, cooktop only. I think they are the best "pro"-sumer brands right now. I'd avoid both Viking and Wolf.
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

Stan Y.

#123 Post by Stan Y. » May 27th, 2016, 3:30 pm

That is interesting, I had not thought about induction for my next range. I don't think I've ever seen a commercial kitchen using induction, always gas, though there must be exceptions. The 25K BTU burners on Bluestar and Capital are so close to commercial output, I'd always assumed that was the way to go.
S. Y @ t € s

Jay T.

#124 Post by Jay T. » May 27th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Stan, two possible reasons for your observation about commercial kitchens: 1. inertia. restaurant cooks are conservative in all but the most avant garde establishments. You use what you were trained on. It's a craft, passed down through apprenticeship. So its not surprising that restaurants stick with big gas burners. 2. availability of commercial options. I like to shop at restaurant supply stores. Other than single burner portable induction units, I've never seen one sell induction. I've shopped a lot for induction. I've never seen a full commercial induction range.

But just because they are not common in restaurant kitchens does not mean they don't work well. Indeed, from a purely engineering standpoint, it's hard to make a case for gas over induction. There's a separate thread that has addressed this. But from a pure performance perspective, induction offers more power (often equivalent of more than 35,000 BTUs in "boost" mode), far greater efficiency (which has a bunch of consequences, including less need for a huge hood/ventilation, a cooler kitchen, and utilities savings), more precise control (digital vs. analog), and much easier cleanup. The only real cons of induction are of course the pan material limitations (not a big deal for most), lack of flame (I occasionally roast food like chile peppers directly over a gas flame), and a bit of a learning curve.

In general I like gas. I'm used to it. It's what I grew up with. I can cook really well with it. But I'm now convinced that induction is superior in the home kitchen environment. Check out the Thermador Freedom and the Gaggenau CX491.
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

P. Willenberg

#125 Post by P. Willenberg » November 27th, 2016, 8:27 pm

I have an update to report. The hot surface ignitor which turns on the oven and the broiler are $85 plus shipping on the blue star website or cheaper on Amazon Robertshaw Gas Range Oven Stove Ignitor Igniter 41-203
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Sarah Kirschbaum

#126 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 28th, 2017, 9:07 am

Reviving this thread just to share the very exciting news that all our kitchen appliances were finally delivered to the new house today! Blue Star range included, though we ultimately got the 36" instead of the 48".

Nothing is installed yet, or even out of its crate, but having chosen and paid for (mostly) the appliances more than a year ago, it's awfully nice to have them finally in the kitchen. Also nice to finally have a kitchen. :)

#127 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » February 28th, 2017, 9:38 am

Good luck, Sarah. I doubt you will regret the Blue Star. The more I use my Blue Star grill and the separate cooktop, the more I like what it does for cooking possiblities, though more difficult to keep clean than closed burners and grills.

Did you ever get to the Blue Star showroom? Going there was really exciting and informative for me.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#128 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 28th, 2017, 9:44 am

Thanks, Stuart. We didn't ever make it to the showroom. Every time we had a car rented, there were too many other things to take care of. It's too bad, as I am sure I would have enjoyed it. In the end, there was no question we were going to buy the Blue Star, so the showroom wasn't a priority. Having loved the old one for many years, and know the Platinum series is a step up from there, we didn't even consider anything else seriously.

As for the grill, we have several other options for grills, so didn't feel we needed it on the Blue Star and opted for additional counter space.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Jay Miller » March 2nd, 2017, 4:14 pm

Congratulations Sarah!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#130 Post by Chris Freemott » March 2nd, 2017, 7:06 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a commercial kitchen using induction, always gas, though there must be exceptions
Troisgros is one. They cook pretty well. :-D

Sarah Kirschbaum

#131 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 3rd, 2017, 4:57 am

Jay Miller wrote:Congratulations Sarah!
Thanks, Jay! It's exciting. We are so tired of this toy kitchen.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#132 Post by Jay Miller » March 3rd, 2017, 8:15 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:Congratulations Sarah!
Thanks, Jay! It's exciting. We are so tired of this toy kitchen.
I remember when my kitchen was being remodeled and due to multiple problems it took 9 (interminable) months. All I had was a microwave. I was so sick of frozen dinners and take out chinese by the end of that...
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#133 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 3rd, 2017, 8:35 am

It's a whole house for us, so has take a good deal longer than 9 months. But luckily we've been in a temporary apartment, so at least we have a real kitchen, albeit a horrible one. 9 months of just a microwave seems impossible.

P. Willenberg

#134 Post by P. Willenberg » April 17th, 2018, 7:54 am

I'm having an issue with the broiler on my Garland (same as Bluestar). Whenever I open the oven door the broiler cuts out then reignites pretty quickly with a giant fireball, then it might do that again until I close the oven door. It works fine otherwise but with my daughter starting to bake more, the giant fireball is a hazard. Any ideas?
ITB
WSET Level 3 in Sake

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”