What to do with Salmon trimmings

We typically buy a side of salmon. Sometimes I just broil it whole. But when I’m going to grill it, I need to make the pieces more uniform in thickness. So off comes the tail and belly, then the side is chunked into pieces of relative equal size. I also like to brine it so that it stays juicy on the grill even if I slightly miss my wife’s preferred mid-rare temp.

But what to do with the tail and belly. It was in the brine an extra day, so I drained on some paper towels and got pretty dry. The pieces went into the Cameron indoor smoker with some cherry. Sprinkled some maple flakes on top. 15 minutes of smoking left them smokey and barely done. Pulled the pieces and into the fridge.

(washed the rack and put golden cherry tomatoes and garlic and smoked for 30 minutes, will turn into pasta sauce in a night or two)

Tonight when we got home, combined softened cream cheese, scallion tops, capers, lemon juice,salt, black pepper and the smoked salmon.

Delicious.

Great little snack with some unoaked chard and a budget Pinot Noir.

Yep, that will work. I also like to mix bits and pieces with kimchi and rice, the fish becomes a minor player in that format as well and the smokiness adds a lot.

How about a quiche with capers and red onion?

Sashimi! Bellies are the best.

Crisp it use it like cracklings or roll it for Te make sushi.

Milton,
Sounds really good, would be great on a bagel. Fresh salmon is heavenly, especially right off the line. Cut the cheek “toro” meat out, rinse it in the bait reservoir and eat with wasabi, yum!!

I would always save the salmon trimmings and either use it for a tartar or rillete. Also handy in a sandwich. :wink: