Favorite Short Rib Recipe?

…that doesn’t involve sous vide? (I don’t have a set-up for it…yet)

I picked up some BEAUTIFUL short ribs and I’s like to make them for my g/f tomorrow. Was thinking of making a spicy pea puree to pair with it, but not wedded to the idea.

My favorite is Tom Colicchio’s over homemade egg noodles. Creamed spinach on the side. Generous pour of a N Rhone wine. Maybe my favorite meal in the world.

Thanks Smarty Clown – this looks perfect!

As an aside, my favorite is Molly Steven’s short ribs braised in porter with a maple rosemary glaze but I made that fairly recently.

yes, I like Colicchio’s classic renditions. The only mod I make is just a few chunks of sweet potato in the braising liquid. Adds some starch to thicken and a little sweetness.

I have made this once and it is OUTSTANDING: Braised Beef Short Ribs with Potato Purée | Saveur. Also has a lot for the wine lover in there with the port braise and Madeira sauce. The Madeira sauce is incredible. I’ve been meaning to make it again but it’s a big time commitment. 100% worth it though.

Hands down the best I’ve ever had. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Short-Ribs-Braised-in-Coffee-Ancho-Chile-Sauce-107596

Short-rib recipes are pretty much the same i.e. brown meat, brown aromatics, deglaze with wine and stock (or variations thereof), and then braise in the oven. For meat, I use grass-fed ribs which are leaner, but still have a rich flavor and texture.

I’ve made them in a slow cooker, on the stove, and in the oven. Oven and slow cooker are the best because the temperature is constant. I’ve done a 4-hour braise and a 12-hour braise; didn’t see a significantly better outcome with the longer braise.

I do like Colicchio’s final step of broiling at the end to get a good glaze on the ribs.

[cheers.gif]

Brett

I like Suzanne Goin’s from Sunday Suppers at Lucques. Great with the Swiss Chard and mashed potatoes. Chef Suzanne Goin - Recipes - Find. Eat. Drink.

We do a brisket that hangs out in a coffee rub for a couple days before cooking. Coffee and beef seem to go well together.

Daniel Boulud’s, but you can cut the liquid in half

If you like some spice, I do short ribs with Syrah, beef stock, chipotle in adobe, ground clove and nutmeg. To finish the sauce I add honey and reduce then skim excess fat.

I serve that with some goat cheese mashed potatoes…

A prior thread from 2010…

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Daniel-Bouluds-Short-Ribs-Braised-in-Red-Wine-with-Celery-Duo-106671
It is big on wine (3 bottles). I’ve done just fine with 2. The Celery Duo recipe is also very good.

This:

http://www.jcanalsbottleblog.com/2010/10/fork-and-gobble-it-beer-braisedmesquite.html

Agree with Tom with Susan Goins recipe. Also have tried Bob Wood’s reccomendatoin and it was very good too

I tried the Colicchio version because I was somewhat short on time (with Kenny’s recommendation for sweet potatoes), although I turned down the heat to 300 and cooked the ribs a bit longer. The meat turned out well, but the sauce wasn’t as favorable as I would have liked (saw the Goins recipe added balsamic vinegar – I like that idea to add some depth of flavor).

Next time I will try Bob’s recommendation.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The keys to short ribs (well, any kind of braise, really) are a couple of things: brown the meat well before starting the braise (do NOT dredge in flour first, as some recipes call for, that just creates a burnt, ugly mess). That caramelization is important for flavor and texture. Then the biggest mistake I see people make is not skimming fat, and not reducing the liquid to thicken and concentrate flavors. Oh, and a third thing: short ribs are best cooked well ahead, and left to cool in the braising liquid. This allows the meat to absorb expelled moisture. So brown the meat, add whatever seasonings, onions, liquid you’re going to use, cook slowly, then let cool in the pot to close to room temperature, remove the meat to a platter or bowl, separate the fat from the liquid, simmer and reduce the liquid to half or less of its original volume (which means you want to start with a good amount of liquid, to end up with plenty of sauce), add the meat back to reheat (or if you use the high heat method to glaze the meat, do that, then sauce with the reduced liquid).

Agree about cooking in advance. I like to cook the day before, and skim fat after a night in the fridge (so much easier). Then I broil the meat for a few min to reheat and crisp while i am reducing the braising liquid for sauce.

I generally like to cook short ribs in advance, skim the fat the next day, and reheat. Colicchio’s recipe calls for you to let them sit in the marinade and then cook/heat. Won’t do this technique again.

Corey, I will send you a recipe that I pulled together from several sources. It has won me accolades from several folks that know and appreciate beef. I fear that if I post it here, that the various factions will only pick it to pieces (so to speak).