Cooking with Cooked Wine?

This may sound like a ridiculous question, BUT…

I was regifted some wine by a friend/colleague that was obviously cooked. So since I would be heating the wine anyway, is it ok to cook with cooked wine?

Yes, especially if it’s something that’s to be simmered for a long time like a stew. I made stew with a bottle of wine that was horribly corked and the flaw was completely undetectable in the finished dish.

You’re a prince Bob. Thanks.

Corked, too, and lightly oxidized. Once made Coq au Vin with a lightly oxidized wine (it was a young wine, cork let air in) - a Pinot Noir - and it was fantastic. If it cooks long enough, seems like all that remains is the fruit - exactly what you want!

personally I combine the remains of my reds in a bottle which I will use over a couple of weeks.

I heard that using premoxed white burgundy for a riff on Poulet du Jura is a good idea. Plus Vin Jaune is real expensive so I guess it is sort of a trade-off… newhere

“cooked” wine or oxidized wine I’d have no problem using. I won’t cook with corked wine, I’ve seen it done multiple times and I’d say the corkiness is detectable about 1/2 the time and trashed the dish.

I generally stick to wines that aren’t flawed. I mean I have wine. If something is way off I go with something else. But haven’t experimented.

I would NEVER cook with corked wine and thereby have never tried.

Jason

cooked ok-corked not ok

tried it 2x and could detect it both times in the finished product.