Deep Fryer

I am looking to get a deep frier.
I am looking for good constant temperature, ease of use and a decent sized basket.
What do you have, do you like it? any recs are welcome!

Also, I know I can use a cast iron pan on the stove-top with a thermometer. The point is to avoid the hassle

I have a fry daddy that I got for my wedding in 1999. I have never used it. But it’s funny you mention it today as I’m planning to use it later this week to finish some sous vide short ribs.

I have to say the hassle of cleaning one cast iron pan is FAR less then cleaning the basket,and the vessel. I just made fried chicken this evening for the kids and the peanut oil is cooling outside in the pot waiting to be dumped. I borrowed a buddies electric one a year ago and had to seriously scrub the dust accumulated grease bunnies off the thing before I used it… Now that was a hassle! If you are going to cook for a large amount… well over 6-7 people… I would definitly do it outside in a larger turkey fryer setup.
just my two cents…

ZB,
Look at a restaurant supply company. I’m personally partial to http://www.webstaurantstore.com

1500W countertop models designed for faster cycles can be had for under 150 bucks. Avantco comes to mind but not positive.

Hassle-free.

Will they allow you to BYOM?

you read the Doughnut Issue, didn’t you?!

[wow.gif]

Buy an IR gun, thats how you can check temps… I use lodge a fair amount of the time. le Cuiset works, turkey fryer I use all clad too. it really depends on how much you want to cook.

I made MC korean wings with my all clad pot and it wrkd great. I have a chionis to strain the oil and reserve for about 2-4 times. In a frig.

paul

hahha! OMG, that’s totally what prompted this! You know me too well!

We replaced a 2 liter T-Fal with a 3.7 liter Waring DF-175. Breaks down for easy cleanup. Better results with the larger oil reservoir, but I still think it’s not big enough. The oil easily loses 30 °F, maybe 50, when you drop 6 chicken wings. More oil capacity would be better. A large stock pot will get you there, but then you lose the thermostat. A commercial unit would also do the trick, but that takes up more counter space than I am willing to sacrifice…

(Edited 3/7 to correct the fryer oil capacities.)

[highfive.gif]