Must eat fine dining NYC

Gonna be in Manhattan in the middle of June for 5 days to tag along on my wife’s work trip, I haven’t been since 2005. What high end fine dining restaurants must I try? My wife really wants to try Momofuko-ko and I’m thinking Eleven Madison Park. Is there another must try?

Also, I know Momofuko-ko , reservations open ten days before the date of the dinner, is it tough to get a reservation?

Between ko, per se, and emp, ko is the only one I would happily return to on my own dime. I do not think you will have an issue getting a table (or rather, a barstool) for one of the days if you log on every morning and hit refresh right at the correct time. july is dead for nyc anyway. Note that lunch, which is a longer menu, is two weeks in advance reservations. Recent reports have Bouley firing on all cylinders recently, though I’ve not been. You should also look into atera, Brooklyn fare, and Bianca at Roberta’s for the more casual fine tasting menu trend.

We were at Bouley end of Feb. Great meal, up to EMP standards (but more traditional style), very nice ambiance also, had two nice Burgs. (Note I haven’t been to EMP since the latest menu change, I’m comparing with the previous one)

Corton Balla. Nice burg list.

Per Se and EMP.

Ssam Bar is also good if you can’t get Ko. For Ko it used to be you have to book online exactly when the online res opens. Not sure if it’s still that difficult.

Marea for Italian seafood.

Mori Sushi for sushi. Sit at the bar. Go omakase.

I also hear 15 East is pretty legit.

don’t care about wine. With kathy. ;P. Maybe I"ll contact the burg fiends and set up a dinner on one of her work nights :slight_smile:.

I did see a wine bar with rousseau chamb for less than $500. Might go drink alone one night

I recently ate at per Se. While fantastic service and great food, I would not go back. (We felt rushed at the end of the meal and 2 of the 9 curses just weren’t good).

EMP is top notch, period.

I love Daniel as well.

Gramercy is a great environ and very good food.

Check out Bar Boulud.

They have a Raveneau vs Dauvissat section with your name on it…and a 69 Leroy Chambertin for less than the wine searcher average (assuming the list and price is up to date).

Oh yeah, food at Bar Boulud is very good. Exc charcuterie. We only had a (nice) glass of wine, don’t know re their list. In any case, avoid Boulud Sud, good food but definitely a notch below Bar B.

I’ll throw in Le Bernardin in to the suggestion box, and a +1 for Daniel.

[thumbs-up.gif]

I know I’m in the minority, but we found 11 Madison boring. Big fan of Marea, love Le Bernardin for lunch and have had really good experiences at Daniel and Bouley (but it’s been awhile).

I have heard great things about Brooklyn Fare. It’s on my list for next time.

FWIW in the Boulud universe – I haven’t yet eaten at Daniel

But I liked Cafe Boulud way more than Bistro Boulud.

There are good choices at Bistro Boulud but you are surrounded by tourists eating the $40 hamburger…

We ate at Bar Boulud once – I had mixed feelings about that. Go uptown.

Can’t compare Bar B with Café B since I haven’t been to the latter. However, if you get a table in front or along the side in Bar B its fine–that’s where we sat, thanks to an alert friend. I heard that the back is very noisy (either individual tables or the large group one), and the unreserved spots at the bar along the left side are also less private.

cool bean ya’ll.

I think for certain we’re gonna shoot for eleven madison park and momofuko-ko for friday/saturday night. Lunches we’re still up in the air for now.

If there is any must do/see/eat around the W off Lexington that’d be appreciated as well.

Walk up to 55th and 3rd. Grab a burger and beer at PJ Clarke’s. great place for a quick burger.

Walk over to Rock Center, get a glass or two at Morrell’s. sit outside if it is nice

Take Wifey. To Saks on 5th and 49th, buy political capital.

EMP is my fave for fine dining. Amazing experience and great wine list.
Someone also mentioned Marea, which is truly superb Italian.
If you have some time, hit up Momofuku Noodle bar for lunch and grab some pork buns and ramen.
If you want to do sushi, Neta is amazing. Newish spot opened by former executive chef of Masa. Really fantastic.

Marea, Dovetail, Bar Boulud, Tulsi (Indian).
If on your own for lunch, slum it at Earl’s Beer and Cheese. But do that on a day where you won’t be having a large, rich dinner.

I love Marea. Not a huge fan of Le Bernardin.

Go to Katz’s and get a pastrami sandwich for lunch. Then stop in next door at Russ and Daughters’ and buy some smoked fish to have for breakfast the next day.

Make sure to eat pizza.

I hit up Katz’s for the second best pastrami sandwich in the U.S… I also like to grab a Shake Shack burger and eat in the park. Motorino makes a damned good pizza (so do Keste and others you’ll see recco’d). I like to walk the East Village environs of Motorino as there is a great ice cream shop, cheese shop, and other interseting stuff.

EMP and Momo seem like excellent dining choices. Obviously I’m not a local so others know better. We’ve had a couple of fun and good qpr meals at Degustation. If you are at W-Lexington walk over to the bar room at Modern.

Best lunch in town is Jean Georges. Food somehow is better at lunch than dinner.

By the way, the general wisdom over at Flyertalk is the W Lexington is the worst W in NYC. Tiny rooms. W Union Square supposed to be much better.

Sushi Yasuda is by the W Lexington; Eataly (worth a visit for sure) is by the W Union Square.