Best Steak sides?

With FFII coming up and this brief warm spell we’ve had here on the east coast, my mind is turning to the grill and tonight I’ll be grilling steak.

I like making an accompaniment of caramlized onions with balsamic vinegar and fresh rosemary.
I slice the onion thick (3/4-1") across their equator, skin on, and oil and season them.
Then I place them on a medium hot portion of the Weber. If I’m feeling particularly OC, I run a skewer through them so they stay together as they cook. Turning them periodically, I let them cook slow until fully cooked through and they are as dark as they can be without burning. Pull them off the grill and let them cool a bit. The skins should have burned off in the first few minutes of grilling so they are a non issue. Cut the still warm onions into large dice, place them in an appropriate sized bowl, and add a couple of tablespoons of good EV oil, and a few drops of balsamic vinegar. Add some chopped fresh rosemary and toss.

Really simple, but the flavors get magical if tossed together while the onions still have sufficient heat.

I know it’s winter, but I might also grill some asparagus if I can find the duck bacon to wrap it in…

good frites with various sauces

Tru dat.

My new love is duck fat roasted fingerling potatoes with whole garlic cloves and cippolini onions.

For me it’s a potato is some form or fashion. The old standby is a baked potato with real butter, sour cream, freshing fried whole bacon strips, etc… However, when I’m out at a steak house it’s usually something like truffle mac and cheese.

Whatever you serve, don’t serve potato!!! (hahaha, inside joke, sorry)

Only if you are in Tokyo.

Potato is so boring and uninteresting. Why would you ever consider serving that? [laughingneqw.gif]

I like the mac and cheese that pmc’s wife makes. I think its a Giada recipe, but ask him.

I’ve never had that, he only makes me the frozen fries…I guess you two really do have a bromance going!

Best Steak side?

Bacon [bye2.gif]

[good.gif] [rofl.gif]

Potatoes are classic, and my favorites at home are either oven roasted with rosemary, or cut into long wedges (bigger than large steak fries), tossed in a little oil, convection-baked until they have a nice crust, and then sprinkled with truffle salt.

Perhaps my all-time favorite side, though, is french-fried onions like they serve at The Palm. I’d never make them at home, though-- caloric can of worms.

We’ve always enjoyed this - pretty simple but a good balance to meats.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Herbed-New-Potatoes-Adapted-from-the-Barefoot-Contessa-213402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Creamed spinach, baked potato, stuffed potato, roasted potatoes, Caesar salad, iceberg wedge with bleu cheese and tomatoes, asparagus, balsamic vinaigrette tossed salad with tomatoes and blue cheese crumbles, gratin dauphinois, artisan bread, pommes frites and Tater Tots . . . in no particular order.

She can sit beside me.

Phew!!!
I thought you were talking all at once!

Hmmm… I actually make a really cool Tater Tot with grated yucca. We don’t really deep fry here at home though.

I also like Baker’s Potatoes~Pommes Boulangere. Slice 'em thin on a mandoline and layer them into a loaf pan with S&P, butter (or olive oil) and herbs between the layers.

BTW~Welcome Michel!!! Looking forward to meeting you @ FFII or sooner!

[good.gif]

Chorizo potatoes. They are one of the greatest food finds for me. LEarned how to make them on my last trip to the Caribbean. I’ve seen people never stop eating, they sit by the serving bowl and just chain-smoke them.

Mark, can’t wait to meet you and all the others at FF-Part Deux. [drinks.gif]

On a serious note, I like potatoes and wilted spinach as accompaniements to my steak (black & blue, of course). I make the potatoes several ways, but my favorites are tossed with duck fat, onions, herbs and garlic then roasted in the oven; or take small Goldens, drizzle good olive oil on them, then sprinkle salt all over and wrap in aluminum foil. After 45 minutes, you’ve got the most amazing slightly salted potatoes that don’t need butter (I know, I know, sacrilege!). Basically, you’re lightly frying the outside while the inside steams. Yummmmmmmmm…
Cheers! [gen_fro.gif]

For a dinner party, we made lobster mashed potatoes (inspired by Mastro’s) and creamed kale with caramelized shallots (I think it’s a Flay recipe). Both were a huge hit…

twice baked potato or roasted garlic mashed potato

Foie Gras whipped potatoes.