Homemade Dog Food

Anyone make their own dog food? Have any good recipes?

If my wife cooks, the dog eat well. Otherwise, kibble from a bag.

BTW - if you do decide to do this, NO ONIONS!

Or cabbage.

I don’t do it any longer but I did for quite a while. Pretty easy. Cook your choice of meat such as lamb. I used to just boil it until well done. Then mix it with cooked rice and cooked green beans. If I recall correctly I believe it was 2 cups meat, 1 cup rice and 1 cup green beans. Place all of that in a food processor and pulverize. Refrigerate and serve within a week maximum.

Ingredients can be varied slightly as desired such as use of different meats, carrots and potatoes, etc…

No seriously. Onions can kill your pup (or cat, but who the f*ck cares about cats?). Cabbage is fine.

I make homemade dog food. Hemi loves it.
1 medium chicken, halved
1/2 pound peas
2 cups carrots, rough chopped
3 celery stalk rough chopped
1/2 pound stringbeans rough chopped
1 yellow squash rough chopped
1 green zucchini, rough chopped
big pinch of dried rosemary
1 teaspoon kelp
2 cloves garlic, rough chop

I put all these ingredients in a large pot and place the chicken on top, skin down. I add water until just covering chicken. Bring to boil and slow to simmer. Cover for 1.5 hours. I add the kelp last, carefully remove the chicken and scoop out some of the veggies. I use my immersion blended to get a very creamy mix and put the veggies back in with the white and dark meat of the chicken once cooled. I am careful about bones. I put back on the oven-top for 10 minutes and let cool. He LOVES it. Makes about 12-14 servings.

Mike, you may want to eliminate the garlic - same family as onion and no bueno for the pup.

And, run that mix thru Balance IT dot com (no affiliation) but you’ll get a list of what’s possibly missing (if anything) from that menu for your animal.

I will. Thanks.

My mom made home made dog food. Unfortunately, she fed the dog store bought kibble and fed the dog food to us. It was presented under various monikers like “tuna noodel casserole” and “tuna surprise” and worst, “exotica”. It is folklore in my family that once my dad sat down to it and said, “Judy, you have made some interesting things but this takes the cake-boys, we’re ordering Casano’s” (Dayton/Cincy pizza chain). On a different occasion, I performed a personal protest by reaching behind my seat where the pantry was located, grabbing some of the dogs kibble from the Purina bag, and putting it on my plate and eating it. Wasn’t bad. I made my point.

Did not know this. I only thought that the theobromine in chocolate was an issue.

What’s the point in cooking the meat?

Medium term storage?

Yogurt, apples, some crunchy veggies and chicken breast. Dogs go the gaga for it.

That being said. If your dog is healthy enough I don’t see much of an issue giving them high grade grain free kibble. The kibble really works at their plaque