Now that the hotel is booked, talk to me about....

…about Dallas area Steakhouses.

Being in Texas must mean great steak right? Local friend and wine lover Froggie has referred me to Pappas and I’ve also heard that Nick & Sam’s is great too. But come on, we’re going to be a family of SIX here. Do I really need to blow what will likely be $500 for a dinner, including what will likely be $100 for wine, at Pappas???

Are there solid options for quality that won’t kill me?

PS - Per the thread in the Travel Forum, we are NOT staying in Dallas, but in Downtown Fort Worth.

Does it have to be wine-centric and white table cloth? Keep in mind it’s 100 degrees!

The best thing about Pappas is the wine list. I’m not sure how the steaks in Dallas are, but the steaks at Pappas in Houston are pretty weak.

Since you’re in Fort Worth, check out Lonesome Dove. It’s Tim Love’s place in the stockyards. Lots of cool wild game, with a really solid wine list, but I believe 100% New World. We got a 2005 Big Basin Syrah Rattlesnake Rock for like $40 when we were there a couple of years ago.

Thanks guys… Nolan, will definitely do that as the Stockyards are close.

RA - we’re coming in October, so it won’t be that hot. It doesn’t have to be super fancy - the steaks have to be great and the wine list good. Pappas wine list is insane. It’s doesn’t need to be that nice.

John, I may not have been super clear, but Lonesome Dove has the best steak I’ve had in DFW. I haven’t been to many steakhouses there, but it’s been my best experience. They’re famous for inventing the Tomahawk Chop, a thirtysomething ounce wagyu bone-in ribeye. I will say be cautious about ordering dishes that can be salty, don’t get a bunch of fried stuff or you’ll leave very thirsty. The meat is generously seasoned.

In a more casual spot, Tim Love also owns the newish Woodshed which serves a giant Bistecca alla Fiorentina. But, it’s more of a beer place.

Lonesome Dove serves great food in a fun area.

I like the steaks at pappas. The wine list is one of the best in the country.

I would argue that the tomahawk was not invented there.

I really like JR’s Steakhouse in Colleyville for food. Wine is pedestrian and expensive.

I guess Im on the other side of this fence. While I agree that one of the best things about Pappas is their wine list, I also absolutely love the steaks. I believe everything except the Filet is dry-aged. As for wine, plenty of fantastic deals to be found.

I’ll be in Dallas in a few weeks for some business and I’m only thinking one thing when it comes to food.

BBQ… I’m looking forward to some GOOD brisket

Let us know, and I might be firing one up that will rival almost anything commercially available.

Since you’re at the Omni in Fort Worth be sure and investigate Bob’s Chop House. Bob’s started in Dallas but has been expanding slowly as of late. They’re located inside the Omni so you could literally crawl back to your room after.

Del Frisco’s has an outpost a little over a block away from where you’re staying. So does Capitol Grille.

Grace is one of my favorite restaurants in downtown Fort Worth and they do serve a smaller selection of well prepared steaks but they a much more diverse menu than a regular steakhouse.

Good info Joe, thanks. I was looking at the Bob’s Chop House menu, but no pricing. I’ve been to Capitol Grille in D.C. many times, so that may work.

Bob’s is in line with most higher end steakhouses you will find in DFW. It all comes down to if you want the glazed carrot or not.

The best thing I’ve found thus far is that while Pappas may be fairly expensive, they at least have a childrens menu that features either an 8 or 10oz NY strip (can’t remember) for $18. That’s a reasonable deal. I’m not paying $49 for a 14oz steak that the littles won’t finish half of.

I’m a big fan of Bob’s Chop House. The pricing is similar to Pappa’s, which I also love but have that down here in Houston. I dine at Bob’s every time I visit the family in Dallas.

For those who mentioned Pappas…anything to specifically get or menu standouts (good or bad?).

Great ideas of Lonesome Dove and Grace in Ft. Worth…the tomahawk at LD is awesome

Split it? I have never had a restaurant not be willing to split the plate for my kids…