Thermador Ranges

We’re in the process of potentially buying a house that will need some extensive remodeling. I’m putting together some budgets etc. and have found this range and can purchase for less than $3,400. I can’t find any reviews anywhere. Does anyone here have experience or opinions?

[resizeableimage=300,300]http://www.thermador.com/public/images/Products/Original/MCSA042260_PRG366GH_def.jpg[/resizeableimage]

I own a Thermador Professional Series 36" cooktop - which appears identical to the cooktop portion of the range you’re looking at - and love it. No issues in seven years. Solidly built, fine perfomance. I can’t speak to the range oven, since I have wall ovens from a different manufacturer.

FWIW, I also have and love the Thermador Professional hood.

Have a 48 inch Thermador Professional Grill since 1995 , 4 -15K burners, griddle & grill. Other than an occasional igniter replacement for the grill , it has been a great unit .
Indoor grilling in the summer , in Florida ,is a big advantage ! Need a good exhaust fan to move the heat out, we have a 1200 cu foot a minute fans to do the trick.
Really makes the kitchen.
Gas burners & grill , electric ovens .

Forgot to mention the 2 ovens, a large convection oven & a smaller proofing oven, with broiler .

Is that a downdraft model? If so I’d avoid unless you have absolutely no choice or don’t cook that much.

We’ve had Thermador and find the quality is better than Kitchen Aid but not up to a Wolf. Not a huge Viking fan in general. I assume they are priced accordingly but have not looked in a while.

I recently purchased a 36" range for a new house. Looked at literally everything, Wolf, Thermador, Blue Star, Lacanche, Viking, Capital, American Range, DCS, etc.

Narrowed down the list to the Wolf, Thermador, and Blue Star and I examined all three at the appliance store.

For me, the Wolf wasn’t worth tariff even though I knew it was a solid workhorse. My wife really liked the Thermador, easily the most user friendly with more bells and whistles than any other range we looked at. However, I made the mistake of researching reviews online (taken with the appropriate grain of salt) and I couldn’t get past the love or hate reviews on the Thermador. I also worried that all of the bells and whistles would eventually fail and maintenance could be an issue.

Last, was the Blue Star; I didn’t go all out with the Nova burner and chose the RCS. It’s not fancy, it’s just built like a tank with rock solid performance; it will easily outlive me. I added a glide rack, had an issue with it and Blue Star sent a new one right away. Couldn’t be happier. Keep in mind, this is a straightforward pro range and it’s not going to add to your kitchen aesthetic like a Lacanche or Thermador which are flashier, but I don’t worry a bit about performance with the Blue Star. Love the burners, cast iron, and enormous oven space.

Ultimately, either of these ranges would be great, just comes down to what you’re looking for in your kitchen.

[cheers.gif]

Brett

It is not a downdraft model. The image is slightly different from the actual unit. It retails for 7K locally, I have seen it online for 5700. I think I can get them down below 3K. Much better unit than I was budgeting for in this remodel.

My plan is to put this in the island surrounded by workspace with a really good overhead vent. I do most of my high temp cooking outside and plan to continue do that in the new place.

Hi Milton,

Then my main concern has been nullified :slight_smile:

We had a downdraft Thermador due to a really poor location and never liked that feature. The thing only broke once and that was our fault for letting beer wort boil over which got into into the electronics. What a mess!

The Blue Star will hold commercial pans like full sheet pans and hotel pans. Available in lots of colors. No bells and whistles, just large amounts of power.

And unless it’s changed since I researched them 9 years ago the Blue Star also has the advantage of more dials and fewer electronics. One less point of failure.