Cannelés (and other stuff) online?!?!

So tonight I was looking through the catalog from Mackenzie (Owings Mills MD) and thinking that I kind of want EVERYTHING in this catalog but most of the items are things that I can make way cheaper and probably better.

BUT a few pages before the end of the catalog, there are 24 Cannelés for $46.95 (plus shipping, God Only Knows).

I followed the Canneles thread a while back and WANTED to make them or buy them but it never happened.

What I want to know – has anyone tried these from Mackenzie? Does it sound like it’s worth ordering?

The picture is delicious… looks totally authentic.

Do I need to say I’m not connected to this business in any way?

Just a potential customer…

http://www.mackenzieltd.com/canneles

Canelés not too hard to make if you have the copper/tin molds. We have a local bakery that makes them daily and that is even better! I haven’t tried the place you mention. They are best about 4-6 hours after baking.

Even the silicone molds are pretty good and the recipes you can find online are relatively simple. Making them yourself is much better when you can have them warm.

there are some good canelé threads here already.

IF I wanted to make them, which I don’t.

Anyway I think my son can buy me some in Philadelphia.

Will report back, in this thread, if that works out.

I made gobs of them last year for a holiday party. They take a little patience but are easy to make. I used the silicon molds because i am a cheap bastard.

My theory is that I should TASTE ONE before I go and buy molds. And where I live, that’s been a hard thing to accomplish. After I decide I love them – I’m sure the cooking would not be an issue.

Frank,

I consider myself a fairly accomplished baker, but I have been struggling for about 7 years to master cannelés. I suspect I’m battling the altitude (7000’). I’ve come close, but getting the exterior and interior just perfect has proven elusive, no matter what variable I tweak. I keep trying because these things are worth it, IMO.

Here is one from my latest batch:

Where in NJ are you? There are a number of NYC locations that sell good ones despite the loss of the late lamented Bouley Bakery.

Highland Park - New Brunswick area. Maybe Momo Terra in Princeton or Chez Alice?

Unfortunately we don’t get into the City that often.

If you like I could make a stop the next time I visit my cousins down in Wall (next time probably won’t be until Passover though).

Do you ever go to the Costco in Staten Island? I could coordinate a drop off there if you like. Ditto for Wine Library. They’re both closer to you than Manhattan and I get there every 2 months or so.

Jay you are really very kind – let me try my other options first. My son says he sees them in Philadelphia and he can bring me a couple. If nothing works out I will get back to you. I’m kind of touched that you’re willing to go to so much trouble!! The Wine Library thing could work pretty easily. But I think there ought to be another way.

Okay, just let me know. I hope to be at WL early January as I have a pre-arrival bottle of Prevost due in then :slight_smile: