Prime Rib

Prime rib roasting method

• High heat first, then low and slow
  • Slow and low, then finish with high heat
  • Other method

0 voters

Thinking about doing my first prime rib roast.
Seems easy - or is this easy to mess up?

I have seen some folks say sear/high heat first, then slow roast, while others say slow and low then high heat at the end.

Any opinions?

We sear and then slow roast. Works well for us. We buy our roast from Flannery and that’s what he recommended.

Same here, although several people I trust swear by the opposite method.

I’d say both are effectively identical. The key is that most of the cooking needs to be low heat but you want the browning/maillard effect flavors on the outside. FWIW I sear at the end.

Best home recipe I found was at Cooks Illustrated!!

Essentially, seer, ideally with a torch, then in oven at low temp, that you eventually turn off and let the meat stay for a while longer. Takes awhile, but has been great every time I’ve made it.

Don’t forget the horseradish sauce!

Enjoy

Low and slow and then blow torch the critter after resting. Key is allowing to come to temp gradually for an even doneness. Also, I would salt the beast the day before and dry completely before being introduced to the oven.

Sear first, then 225 for several hours and pull at 130 degrees.

I also cross score the fatty side and use a mild dry rub before searing.

Thomas Keller’s blow torch method:

Recipe: Thomas Keller's Prime Rib Roast Recipe from Ad Hoc at Home (Using a Blow Torch!) - The Delicious Life

What time should I be over? [cheers.gif] neener

Oh, and if you can dry it and let it sit in your fridge on a rack with salt and pepper for a few days to a week to “dry age” that will help the flavor and texture.

Anyone here ever do a sous-vide prime rib?

+1 [wow.gif]

I haven’t, but see here:

Mighty brave of you’s two…

Looks like its about split down the middle.
Haven’t heard any compelling argument for one over the other.

+1

bill and I said so, so you got your asian brother and big tex meat whisperer arguing for one side. [snort.gif]

Alton Brown says:

Charlie,
Talking about ‘big tex meat whisperer’ is illegal in some states! :astonished:

That hasn’t been the case since Lawrence v Texas.

And Alton.