Shabu Shabu

I would love to hear what folks use for their broth if they ever do Japanese hot pot (Shabu Shabu).
I know traditionally it is Dashi but that can be made a variety of ways.
Some seem to use just chicken broth too.
I have some A5 grade Kobe. This is a good application.
Thanks to Kevin too for the Kobe rec.

You should ping Christine Huang. She makes a good one.

water with a touch of seaweed (kombu) is pretty traditional.

When we do Chinese hot pot, we’ll do a chicken broth with mushroom soup that we let simmer for a hour before serving. Toss in some tofu before bringing it to the table.

My mom made a traditional dashi: kombu (kelp), bonita flakes, strained, fresh ginger
At home we do 3 pots, one pot has a divider so I do a Miso (red or brown paste) and traditional kombu. (kelp, shoyu, ginger, fish flakes) in the big pot. Also a chicken broth with stock from the last “chicken dinner”, maybe toss in some shrooms.

Highlight for us is plenty of veggies: enoki, shitake and various mushrooms, Chinese/napa cabbage, diag sliced carrots, scallions, firm tofu, sweet onions. I make my own noodles or buy some at Oto’s, and we also have different meat: kurabuta or decent Berkshire pork sliced, chicken (freeze it so you can slice it ultra thin). Some long chop sticks to serve for each, a couple of strainers and bowls to skim off the stuff and keep the broth clear’ish. Queue up a bunch of fresh veggies and plates of meat, both kobe, and I slice a thin ribeye roast, keep bringing it till everyone has their fill. Some ponzu and goma sauces.

Wine wise we do rose bubbles, mersault, spatlesse, or montrachet, and I like a big-ass cab or bdx.

When all is done, I make a soup/ramen, then the kids want dessert so it’s gelatto, mochi ice cream, crème puffs, I do a banana foster/dark rum, glazed pecans in the butter/brown sugar over ice cream, and I drink port out on the porch.

great. now i want shabu shabu or hot pot for dinner.

Thanks guys so much!!!

I like doing 2 different ones. One a more traditional dashi with kombu and bonito flakes etc. I like the ginger too. I will try that.

The other chicken stock with mushrooms. More like a Chinese hot pot.

You guys are the best.

Tofu, cabbage, inoki mushrooms, shitake mushrooms lots of veggies planned.
If I can pick up a few good Udon noodles I might have to put that Chinese hot pot to good use after the meat.

I am also pinging Christine. I want to know what she did that worked so well.

We use traditional dashi. Jealous about the A5. Call if you need help!

Thanks Joe.
We need to plan a nice dinner with some Shabu Shabu.

I grew up adding a raw egg for everyone’s personal dipping sauce bowl too. Add some fish cakes/balls too.

Definitely. Sacha BBQ sauce. Chili oil. Soy suace. Raw egg yolk. Sesame oil. Cilantro mixed together for a dipping sauce. Nom

FYI, raw egg is generally used for sukiyaki, not shabushabu

chinese hot pot uses raw egg, I think that’s what cary is referring too.

I am doing the Shabu Shabu tonight.
Here are the first pics.

Ichiban Dashi
Ischi Ban Dashi.jpg
Chicken stock with dried shitakes made like a dashi with kombu base.
Chicken Stock Pot.jpg

BTW, if someone knows why these are showing up upside down, let me know. I took them with my iPhone so I assume it has something to do with this.

The Ichiban Dashi smells incredible!

Now if FedEx finally gets where with my A5 graded Japanese Kobe.

just the way the file extensions are set up. You have to rotate one direction, save, then rotate it back to normal and save for it to show up normally.

i’m getting hungry… that’s the perfect sauce (minus the raw egg for me).
i think it’s a southern china hotpot tradition to add the raw egg.

Here are a few pics. If they are upside down I will have to remove them and put them upside down before uploading.
photo-4.jpg
photo-6.jpg

Few more pics of the prep.
photo-10.jpg
photo-9.jpg
photo-5.jpg

Looks great!

Enjoyed some of this last night…