New York City Restaurants

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Dinesh Goyal

Re: New York City Restaurants

#2501 Post by Dinesh Goyal »

Some of the restaurants where we have enjoyed outdoor dining recently. In general I feel I enjoy restaurants that are on streets more than on avenues as they tend to be quieter
Sushi Ishikawa - while I normally prefer more traditional omakase, it was still great

Avra Greek - tried both Midtown and UES. I think I prefer midtown

Quality Eats UES - this is one of the neighborhood spots for us and we end up going there frequently

Buvette - long wait, but was good

Luthun - was ok.

Looking forward to Jua tonight.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2502 Post by mark rudner »

i'm sure not everyone's favorite but i loved uncle boon's from the beginning. i always loved the idea of the owners working in the kitchen at per se and leaving to open this underground delight just off bowery. so sad...

https://ny.eater.com/2020/8/10/21361965 ... oronavirus

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2503 Post by Jay Miller »

Racines is back!

They're doing a small online order out business, starting with lobster rolls (and wine) on MWF:

https://racinesny.com/onlineordering?ss ... 6f977528f2
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

mike c

#2504 Post by mike c »

Dinesh Goyal wrote: August 8th, 2020, 6:41 am Looking forward to Jua tonight.
how was jua?
( |-| 0

Dinesh Goyal

#2505 Post by Dinesh Goyal »

mike c wrote: August 12th, 2020, 9:30 am
how was jua?
Best post Covid meal. Great.

Also they have really gone out of the way to differentiate their outdoor dining experience/decor. Food was outstanding.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2506 Post by Robert Dentice »

Dinesh Goyal wrote: August 12th, 2020, 9:31 am
mike c wrote: August 12th, 2020, 9:30 am
how was jua?
Best post Covid meal. Great.

Also they have really gone out of the way to differentiate their outdoor dining experience/decor. Food was outstanding.
That is great to hear. I have yet to go. Interestingly my best overall outside pandemic experience was at the Chef's former restaurant Jungsik
ITB - source | material

mike c

#2507 Post by mike c »

Dinesh Goyal wrote: August 12th, 2020, 9:31 am Best post Covid meal. Great.

Thanks and great to hear. Was going to echo the post below where jungsik has been by far the best post-COVID dining experience. Will have to check out Jua
( |-| 0

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2508 Post by Jay Miller »

With all the talk about Jungsik has anyone tried their takeaway meal? Obviously there are a lot of things they can't do with it that they can do at the restaurant but it would be much easier for me to manage.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2509 Post by Robert Dentice »

Had a wonderful meal last night at Cafe Altro Paradiso. Love everything Chef Ignacio does. A small focused menu with a few of their wonderful pasta dishes. Also a small wine list but they do have a couple of very nice things off the list.
ITB - source | material

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2510 Post by Robert Dentice »

I just heard Secchu Yokota will be opening for outdoor dining. Going tomorrow for a soft opening. I will report back!
ITB - source | material

mike c

#2511 Post by mike c »

Robert Dentice wrote: August 14th, 2020, 1:17 pm I just heard Secchu Yokota will be opening for outdoor dining. Going tomorrow for a soft opening. I will report back!
love those guys. hope they can make it through.
( |-| 0

Dinesh Goyal

#2512 Post by Dinesh Goyal »

Robert Dentice wrote: August 14th, 2020, 7:37 am Had a wonderful meal last night at Cafe Altro Paradiso. Love everything Chef Ignacio does. A small focused menu with a few of their wonderful pasta dishes. Also a small wine list but they do have a couple of very nice things off the list.
It has been on my list ever since we got their email. I has been waiting for Flora to open up as that’s close by. But just booked for Altro.

Dinesh Goyal

#2513 Post by Dinesh Goyal »

So tried Altro Paradiso.

Let me preface it by saying outdoor dining is somewhat of an equalizer as food quality end up dominating the final experience.

With that I found Altro to be ok. I have had better Cacio Pepe at multiple other restaurants, with one at Via Carota right at the top

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2514 Post by Robert Dentice »

Dinesh Goyal wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:13 pm So tried Altro Paradiso.

Let me preface it by saying outdoor dining is somewhat of an equalizer as food quality end up dominating the final experience.

With that I found Altro to be ok. I have had better Cacio Pepe at multiple other restaurants, with one at Via Carota right at the top
Oh shoot, sorry to hear that. I did feel it was a step down from the normal level but still thought it was very good.
ITB - source | material

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2515 Post by Robert Dentice »

We did Secchu Yokota and thought it was very good. Impossible to be at the same level as when you are sitting one foot away from the Chef handing you the tempura. And our feedback to them was that I felt it was too much food. I am a big eater and I was absolutely stuffed. The wine list is small and they are out of many things due to the shut down. Corkage is $30. I brought one bottle and purchased a JB Becker. Keep in mind it was a trial run and they discounted the price.
ITB - source | material

Nathan V.

#2516 Post by Nathan V. »

Robert Dentice wrote: August 16th, 2020, 7:33 am We did Secchu Yokota and thought it was very good. Impossible to be at the same level as when you are sitting one foot away from the Chef handing you the tempura. And our feedback to them was that I felt it was too much food. I am a big eater and I was absolutely stuffed. The wine list is small and they are out of many things due to the shut down. Corkage is $30. I brought one bottle and purchased a JB Becker. Keep in mind it was a trial run and they discounted the price.
Glad to hear they're trying this out and hope they're open when we are able to get back to NYC. I feel like they always have a Becker on the list for me to buy when I'm there. I wonder why...
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Dinesh Goyal

#2517 Post by Dinesh Goyal »

Robert Dentice wrote: August 16th, 2020, 7:33 am We did Secchu Yokota and thought it was very good. Impossible to be at the same level as when you are sitting one foot away from the Chef handing you the tempura. And our feedback to them was that I felt it was too much food. I am a big eater and I was absolutely stuffed. The wine list is small and they are out of many things due to the shut down. Corkage is $30. I brought one bottle and purchased a JB Becker. Keep in mind it was a trial run and they discounted the price.
Thanks Robert. I feel like small restaurants, which a lot of Japanese restaurants are, are particularly hard hit. Most of them don’t have large enough frontage to create any meaningful size dining area. Eg Maaser had two tables outside. Same at Sushi by M.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2518 Post by Robert Dentice »

Dinesh Goyal wrote: August 18th, 2020, 3:47 am
Thanks Robert. I feel like small restaurants, which a lot of Japanese restaurants are, are particularly hard hit. Most of them don’t have large enough frontage to create any meaningful size dining area. Eg Maaser had two tables outside. Same at Sushi by M.
I agree and really hard for them to do delivery. Going to Jua tonight!
ITB - source | material

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2519 Post by Robert Dentice »

WOW! Jua was absolutely great. During August they are doing an à la carte menu. Everything was wonderful. Can't wait to go back.
ITB - source | material

Michael S. Monie

#2520 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Mayor says no indoor dining until next year; not good news.
Hubris Gravitas

"Why so unforgiving? And why so cold? Been a long time crossing, Bridge of Sighs." Robin Trower

ybarselah

#2521 Post by ybarselah »

Michael S. Monie wrote: August 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm Mayor says no indoor dining until next year; not good news.
source?
Yaacov (ITB)

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2522 Post by scamhi »

ybarselah wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:31 am
Michael S. Monie wrote: August 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm Mayor says no indoor dining until next year; not good news.
source?
it was in Eater NY
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2523 Post by Jay Miller »

scamhi wrote: August 28th, 2020, 11:09 am
source?
it was in Eater NY
https://ny.eater.com/2020/8/27/21404598 ... oronavirus

He's now saying it's contingent on how the school openings go.
Last edited by Jay Miller on August 28th, 2020, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinesh Goyal

#2524 Post by Dinesh Goyal »

Has anyone tried our crown shy post reopening? The menu looks quite limited.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2525 Post by Robert Dentice »

We did the Estela Rink at Rockefeller Center dinner last night. Have to say it is was a wonderful time. It is more about the whole experience than just the food. You get your own very large table that is right in the rink. You get a picnic basket full of starters and then an enormous tower of seafood. What was most fun about it is that there were several tables of people we knew and they let people come for drinks so it turned into a big party in a beautiful setting.

ITB - source | material

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2526 Post by Paul Jaouen »

Looks fun Robert!
Best,
Paul Jaouen

F.Daner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2527 Post by F.Daner »

I know public health concerns must be considered but I believe NY positive rate is at or close to the lowest in the country. I don't know how officials can expect any restaurants to be left to open next year if indoor dining does not open to at least 50% capacity by winter. Major corporations are announcing they will be allowing workers to return to the office. I'm sure public transportation will be a lot riskier than eating at a restaurant. I have eaten out now several times in Tampa with restaurants all adhering to 50% capacity and really doing a great job with health protocols.

Jay Miller wrote: August 28th, 2020, 1:05 pm
scamhi wrote: August 28th, 2020, 11:09 am

source?
it was in Eater NY
https://ny.eater.com/2020/8/27/21404598 ... oronavirus

He's now saying it's contingent on how the school openings go.
Fred

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2528 Post by Jay Miller »

F.Daner wrote: September 13th, 2020, 11:25 am I know public health concerns must be considered but I believe NY positive rate is at or close to the lowest in the country. I don't know how officials can expect any restaurants to be left to open next year if indoor dining does not open to at least 50% capacity by winter. Major corporations are announcing they will be allowing workers to return to the office. I'm sure public transportation will be a lot riskier than eating at a restaurant. I have eaten out now several times in Tampa with restaurants all adhering to 50% capacity and really doing a great job with health protocols.
The issue is that at least theoretically everyone on public transport is masked. No one eating inside will be masked.

Unmasked indoors is one of the most likely methods for an infected individual to pass on the virus.

It's a horrible situation. As someone in several risk groups for bad outcomes I won't be eating indoors until there's a vaccine.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2529 Post by Mark Golodetz »

The one restaurant I was looking forward to trying was Veau d’Or. it was being taken over by a couple of fairly serious chefs, and given the wonderful traditional menu, I thought with a few twists it could have been sensational. Obviously COVID put back the opening, but I could not find updates. Anybody got the inside scoop?
ITB

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2530 Post by Robert Dentice »

Mark Golodetz wrote: September 19th, 2020, 10:53 am The one restaurant I was looking forward to trying was Veau d’Or. it was being taken over by a couple of fairly serious chefs, and given the wonderful traditional menu, I thought with a few twists it could have been sensational. Obviously COVID put back the opening, but I could not find updates. Anybody got the inside scoop?
I was looking forward to it as well. I work a block away. I am friends with some of the Frenchette crew and can ask.

The neighborhood has come back to life and has a lot of outdoor dinning for established restaurants.
ITB - source | material

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2531 Post by Robert Dentice »

Rule of Thirds, a very large and cool Japanese Izakaya reopened. They opened in February and were off to a great start. We went for F&F yesterday and it was very good. All outdoor dining.

ITB - source | material

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2532 Post by Michel Abood »

Mark Golodetz wrote: September 19th, 2020, 10:53 am The one restaurant I was looking forward to trying was Veau d’Or. it was being taken over by a couple of fairly serious chefs, and given the wonderful traditional menu, I thought with a few twists it could have been sensational. Obviously COVID put back the opening, but I could not find updates. Anybody got the inside scoop?
Ditto, if I ever make it back to NYC. [cray.gif]

I have a long list of places I want to visit, I just hope they can survive until we have a vaccine and I can travel again. Until then we're cooking at home, doing take out from 2-3 favorite places, and did delivery last week for the first time (shockingly good fried chicken from Tokyo Hot Chicken, a pop up from Michael Mina).

God I miss the NYC/Paris restaurant scene. I'd do unholy things to get back to having long lunches at Les Enfants du Marche and spending a long, leisurely Sunday afternoon devouring pies at Ops.

You really don't know what you have until it's gone.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

WvanGorp
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2533 Post by WvanGorp »

Not to make Michel jealous but several of us are having pizza in the park tomorrow night from Ops. 😷
Wilfred van Gorp

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2534 Post by Robert Dentice »

Went back to Jua again and it was outstanding. They do allow corkage, not sure of charge because a friend picked up the tab.

I have also had a couple of serious foodies tell me how great it was after recent meals.
ITB - source | material

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2535 Post by Michel Abood »

WvanGorp wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 5:21 pm Not to make Michel jealous but several of us are having pizza in the park tomorrow night from Ops. 😷
That's just mean. [snort.gif]
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2536 Post by Jay Miller »

I got takeout from Atomix for Arnold's birthday a little over a week ago.

My conclusion was, unfortunately, that one should not get high end takeout if there is a good chance one of the people involved will have to work late and the food will end up sitting for 3 hours.

It was still very good but it seemed like much of what would have made it really special had faded with sitting.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2537 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Can anyone suggest a casual but good place in the Flatiron area up to midtown for lunch outside? Nothing fancy or too heavy as we have an exciting dinner planned.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Rodrigo B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2538 Post by Rodrigo B »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:28 pm Can anyone suggest a casual but good place in the Flatiron area up to midtown for lunch outside? Nothing fancy or too heavy as we have an exciting dinner planned.
Obica right across the street from Flatiron wines, Craft and Union Square Cafe, and Casa Mono should all have some outdoor dining
B r a g a

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2539 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Rodrigo B wrote: September 26th, 2020, 10:40 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 26th, 2020, 2:28 pm Can anyone suggest a casual but good place in the Flatiron area up to midtown for lunch outside? Nothing fancy or too heavy as we have an exciting dinner planned.
Obica right across the street from Flatiron wines, Craft and Union Square Cafe, and Casa Mono should all have some outdoor dining
Thanks so much. Casa Mono fits the bill well. I haven't thought of that place in many, many years.

Tony C

#2540 Post by Tony C »

Boqueria - Spanish tapas
C @ r u c c !

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2541 Post by mark rudner »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: September 27th, 2020, 6:11 am
Thanks so much. Casa Mono fits the bill well. I haven't thought of that place in many, many years.
hi sarah
if it's cool enough outside try the stuffed peppers
so perfect with a glass of midweight spanish red
where's dinner?

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2542 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

mark rudner wrote: September 28th, 2020, 1:34 pm

hi sarah
if it's cool enough outside try the stuffed peppers
so perfect with a glass of midweight spanish red
where's dinner?
Thanks, Mark! I saw those on the menu - very appealing.

Dinner is at Jua!

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2543 Post by Robert Dentice »

I will let Sarah give her impressions. But I will say Jua is my favorite restaurant in NYC at the moment!
ITB - source | material

Mike Cohen

#2544 Post by Mike Cohen »

Funny...I hadn't thought about Casa Mono in a while either, but I ate there twice in Summer 2019 and loved it.

Mike Cohen

#2545 Post by Mike Cohen »

Robert, are you using your phone for the food pix you take? They are really impressive. Would love to know more about the pix.

Robert Dentice
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2546 Post by Robert Dentice »

Mike Cohen wrote: September 30th, 2020, 11:32 am Robert, are you using your phone for the food pix you take? They are really impressive. Would love to know more about the pix.
Just an iphone. Thank you! I really can't understand why restaurants don't have photo friendly lightening.

Also those photos of Estela above were from their IG feed.
ITB - source | material

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2547 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

Robert Dentice wrote: September 30th, 2020, 11:20 am I will let Sarah give her impressions. But I will say Jua is my favorite restaurant in NYC at the moment!
Both Jonathan and I thought it was excellent. The food was thoughtful, delicious, beautiful, balanced and fun with a great variety of textures and expressions. Staff were exemplary. The outdoor set up worked well, even when it began to pour, and the inside of the restaurant looks gorgeous. We loved it.

doug johnson

#2548 Post by doug johnson »

Ate at Casa Mono tonight. Borderline awful.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2549 Post by mark rudner »

doug johnson wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 8:50 pm Ate at Casa Mono tonight. Borderline awful.
i think i've been there 50+ times but not since february
that's terrible news doug

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2550 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Eater’s list of closed NYC restaurants
https://ny.eater.com/2020/10/2/21459288 ... tober-2020
ITB

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”