Page 49 of 50

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: March 19th, 2020, 10:07 am
by Michel Abood
Dennis Atick wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 11:20 am
The BLT Group did too, saying they wanted to make sure their employees could get unemployment before the tidal wave of requests hit. Maybe that was USHG's rationale too. This is going to be bad, very bad. My heart goes out to all the hard-working restauranteurs affected.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: March 19th, 2020, 10:54 am
by Dennis Atick
Michel Abood wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 10:07 am
Dennis Atick wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 11:20 am
The BLT Group did too, saying they wanted to make sure their employees could get unemployment before the tidal wave of requests hit. Maybe that was USHG's rationale too. This is going to be bad, very bad. My heart goes out to all the hard-working restauranteurs affected.
It is so sad. Metro-ATL restaurants are basically shut down and many have started Go Fund Me pages for the thousands of food service workers laid off this week. Switching over to curbside takeout service is a temporary and very small patch, but dark days are ahead.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: March 23rd, 2020, 12:50 pm
by mark rudner
just for shits and giggles in these stressed times, how about posting what and where you're ordering take-out
dentice?

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: March 23rd, 2020, 1:19 pm
by Robert Dentice
mark rudner wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 12:50 pm
just for shits and giggles in these stressed times, how about posting what and where you're ordering take-out
dentice?
Well we started out strong on Friday at Secchu Yokota. We went over for lunch and decided to have a picnic on the street!



Then Atoboy on Saturday.

While Renee made Chicken and Morels in between.

Then BOOM I was hit with the flu. I am pretty sure it is not COVID-19 but Renee did come into a direct contact with a client who tested positive and two or three people in my firm have tested positive so I am laying low.

Stay tuned for hopefully more take out!

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: March 23rd, 2020, 2:21 pm
by mark rudner
Be well Robert. I heard Riesling May in fact be the cure👍

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: March 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm
by J a y H a c k
mark rudner wrote:
March 23rd, 2020, 2:21 pm
Be well Robert. I heard Riesling May in fact be the cure👍
ABV is too low. SAXUM!!

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: March 24th, 2020, 7:34 am
by Jay Miller
Best wishes Robert, take care of yourself!

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 2nd, 2020, 7:28 pm
by Zachary Ross
You ok Robert?

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 3rd, 2020, 3:51 am
by Robert Dentice
Zachary Ross wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 7:28 pm
You ok Robert?
Thanks for asking, finally over it after two weeks! Had my first glass of Riesling last night, after two weeks of no wine, with Cagen delivery.



Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 3rd, 2020, 5:48 am
by Jay Miller
Robert Dentice wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 3:51 am
Zachary Ross wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 7:28 pm
You ok Robert?
Thanks for asking, finally over it after two weeks!
Very happy to hear it!

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 3rd, 2020, 9:35 am
by Len Fox
Hi Robert
So pleased to hear you are well and back at it again. What was it some 3 weeks ago my wife Meri joined you for a casual lunch and now the world is a different place. Aaron, Meri and I are well, ensconced in our apartment in Helsinki. We've had a very nice take out meal from one star Inari and tomorrow to celebrate our anniversary a take out from1* Demo.
Eat well. Drink well. Be Well.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 3rd, 2020, 9:47 am
by Robert Dentice
Thanks Jay and Len.

Len - Yes that lunch seems like a long time ago! I was looking forward to doing it again when you were available. We still can it just might be a bit longer out.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 17th, 2020, 9:34 am
by Robert Dentice
Sad that this thread is dormant! I will add some thoughts on recent delivery meals / take out meals.

Cagen - They are killing it! Last nights meal was fantastic!



Ops - Had to Uber over to pick it up. My overall most enjoyable take out meal of the pandemic. It just made me so happy. Will be going back this weekend.

Rezdora - Only ordered once but it was impressive

Secchu Yokota - Ordered a few times getting better each time

Atoboy - Ordered a few times getting better each time

Jua - Only ordered once, the chicken was very good

I would also add the USQ Farmers Market has been very good. Ramps are in season!

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 17th, 2020, 12:57 pm
by mark rudner
nice work robert!!
as you can imagine i have no such access to great food out here
keep it up and c u soon [cheers.gif]

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 17th, 2020, 1:08 pm
by Robert Dentice
mark rudner wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 12:57 pm
nice work robert!!
as you can imagine i have no such access to great food out here
keep it up and c u soon [cheers.gif]
Do you have open a Farmer's market?

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 18th, 2020, 8:15 am
by mark rudner
read a piece in a recent dining section of the nyt and they mentioned a company that ships their pizzas from napoli and the price wasn't silliness.
i think i ordered 5 margaritas for about $60 and it included shipping.
yesterday the box arrived and it was perfect. fantastic shipping materials, although it's a lot of material to throw away.
last night we set the oven to 425 and 11 minutes later ate a pizza that's 90% as good as something like keste, starita etc

i highly recommend giving it a try for those of us who don't have access to what robert d does ;)

https://taliadinapoli.com/

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 19th, 2020, 7:34 pm
by Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡
RD - is Ops operating on different hours? Might bike over there (or to Leo) for a pie...

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 20th, 2020, 4:07 am
by Robert Dentice
Faryan Amir-Ghassem¡ wrote:
April 19th, 2020, 7:34 pm
RD - is Ops operating on different hours? Might bike over there (or to Leo) for a pie...
Ops is pickup only, you have to call ahead. Hours are Wednesday to Friday 5-9:30, Saturday and Sunday 12-9:30.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 20th, 2020, 8:27 am
by Paul Jaouen
Robert Dentice wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 9:34 am
Sad that this thread is dormant! I will add some thoughts on recent delivery meals / take out meals.

Cagen - They are killing it! Last nights meal was fantastic!

The only food I miss during these self isolation times is sushi. And I really, really miss it.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 20th, 2020, 9:47 am
by Mike Cohen
Paul Jaouen wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 8:27 am
The only food I miss during these self isolation times is sushi. And I really, really miss it.
We've obviously been cooking a ton and frankly have only ordered in (pizza) twice in the past five weeks. I do miss sushi, but that lack of places that I really enjoy by us makes it an easy pass for me. Where do you like to get sushi from by us?

I am seriously concerned for the future of OHS, Common Lot and other local favs.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 20th, 2020, 10:21 am
by Ethan Abraham
Mike Cohen wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 9:47 am
Paul Jaouen wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 8:27 am
The only food I miss during these self isolation times is sushi. And I really, really miss it.
We've obviously been cooking a ton and frankly have only ordered in (pizza) twice in the past five weeks. I do miss sushi, but that lack of places that I really enjoy by us makes it an easy pass for me. Where do you like to get sushi from by us?

I am seriously concerned for the future of OHS, Common Lot and other local favs.
Me too. Keep debating doing the hour drive in and out of the city to get sushi but not sure if the sushi will even travel well enough to make it worthwhile.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 20th, 2020, 10:27 am
by Jay Miller
Paul Jaouen wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 8:27 am

The only food I miss during these self isolation times is sushi. And I really, really miss it.
It's all your fault Paul. After reading this I started craving sushi so I called one of my favorite local spots to see if they were doing take out. It isn't Cagen level but it hit the spot. And it was an invigorating 15 minute walk so there is that as well. Got to check in on a lilac bush I enjoy visiting in the Spring but it was only just starting to bud. Everyone was observing good social distancing and wearing masks.

Weird to see the deserted streets as it's in a primarily office neighborhood near where I work.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 20th, 2020, 10:42 am
by Paul Jaouen
Mike Cohen wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 9:47 am
Paul Jaouen wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 8:27 am
The only food I miss during these self isolation times is sushi. And I really, really miss it.
We've obviously been cooking a ton and frankly have only ordered in (pizza) twice in the past five weeks. I do miss sushi, but that lack of places that I really enjoy by us makes it an easy pass for me. Where do you like to get sushi from by us?

I am seriously concerned for the future of OHS, Common Lot and other local favs.
Mike, totally agree there are no places around here that I enjoy. My sushi places are all in NYC and therefore the craving. We cooked something like 36 days in a row and finally got take out at Le Rendezvous on Friday. I'm surprised that OHS, Common Lot and a few others did not try to do take out. I really hope they bounce back.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 26th, 2020, 7:28 am
by Robert Dentice
Pandemic be damned it is Ramp time and Ops is open and serving one of my all time pizzas!


Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: April 26th, 2020, 3:07 pm
by Mike Reff
Made a chicken Tetrazzini, paired well with a Mezcal and Ginger beer!

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 8th, 2020, 9:22 am
by mark rudner
https://ny.eater.com/2020/5/8/21248604/ ... oronavirus

some surprises on this list. clearly, this isn't the end of the bad news.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 14th, 2020, 4:02 am
by Robert Dentice
Sad day for NYC dining. Ssäm moving to the Seaport is just horrible. It is by far one of the most important restaurants in the last 25 years. The 3 star Frank Bruni NY Times review was a seminal moment in U.S. dining. I sat next to him on at least one of his dinners prior to the review. I think Ssäm was the soul of Momofuku.

https://ny.eater.com/2020/5/13/21257701 ... ng-changes

NY Times Review...worth a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/dini ... 3rest.html

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 14th, 2020, 4:13 am
by Robert Dentice
And another blow to my beloved neighborhood - Jewel Bako closing. I can't tell you how many great nights I have had here!

https://evgrieve.com/2020/05/jewel-bako ... osing.html

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 14th, 2020, 6:22 am
by R@y.Tupp@+sch
Robert Dentice wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:13 am
And another blow to my beloved neighborhood - Jewel Bako closing. I can't tell you how many great nights I have had here!

https://evgrieve.com/2020/05/jewel-bako ... osing.html
Sorry to hear about Jewel Bako. It was the first "real" sushi restaurant that I took my older daughter to about 15 years ago. While not a regular, I probably ate there with her about ten times. Also hosted a couple of Champagne dinners there.
These restaurant closings are just terrible.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 14th, 2020, 9:47 am
by Victor Hong
Union Square Hospitality Group dining rooms will not re-open until a widely implemented vaccine.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 14th, 2020, 10:02 am
by Barry L i p t o n
Robert Dentice wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:02 am
Sad day for NYC dining. Ssäm moving to the Seaport is just horrible. It is by far one of the most important restaurants in the last 25 years. The 3 star Frank Bruni NY Times review was a seminal moment in U.S. dining. I sat next to him on at least one of his dinners prior to the review. I think Ssäm was the soul of Momofuku.

https://ny.eater.com/2020/5/13/21257701 ... ng-changes

NY Times Review...worth a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/dini ... 3rest.html
Unusual choice of location for Ssam Bar, and seems like it would never attract the same level of locals. Maybe easier to get out of the lease there than the seaport? Sad news.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 14th, 2020, 11:34 am
by Robert Dentice
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 10:02 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:02 am
Sad day for NYC dining. Ssäm moving to the Seaport is just horrible. It is by far one of the most important restaurants in the last 25 years. The 3 star Frank Bruni NY Times review was a seminal moment in U.S. dining. I sat next to him on at least one of his dinners prior to the review. I think Ssäm was the soul of Momofuku.

https://ny.eater.com/2020/5/13/21257701 ... ng-changes

NY Times Review...worth a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/dini ... 3rest.html
Unusual choice of location for Ssam Bar, and seems like it would never attract the same level of locals. Maybe easier to get out of the lease there than the seaport? Sad news.
Restaurants generally get lots of incentives including free rent to go to places like South Street Seaport where the developers need help attracting long term higher paying tenants.

It is very sad the soul of Momo was the East Village and now they are a Private Equity backed company with locations in Hudson Yards, Time Warner Center, South Street Seaport and Las Vegas.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 14th, 2020, 11:35 am
by Robert Dentice
Victor Hong wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 9:47 am
Union Square Hospitality Group dining rooms will not re-open until a widely implemented vaccine.
Well that is not happening for 12-18 months so we will see if they hold to this.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 16th, 2020, 11:33 am
by Zachary Ross
Robert Dentice wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:34 am
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 10:02 am
Robert Dentice wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 4:02 am
Sad day for NYC dining. Ssäm moving to the Seaport is just horrible. It is by far one of the most important restaurants in the last 25 years. The 3 star Frank Bruni NY Times review was a seminal moment in U.S. dining. I sat next to him on at least one of his dinners prior to the review. I think Ssäm was the soul of Momofuku.

https://ny.eater.com/2020/5/13/21257701 ... ng-changes

NY Times Review...worth a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/03/dini ... 3rest.html
Unusual choice of location for Ssam Bar, and seems like it would never attract the same level of locals. Maybe easier to get out of the lease there than the seaport? Sad news.
Restaurants generally get lots of incentives including free rent to go to places like South Street Seaport where the developers need help attracting long term higher paying tenants.

It is very sad the soul of Momo was the East Village and now they are a Private Equity backed company with locations in Hudson Yards, Time Warner Center, South Street Seaport and Las Vegas.


Totally agree. Hard not to feel that the soul of Ssam Bar will be gutted by this move. The restaurant was a mindblower when it opened and I have enjoyed eating there and observing the shifts in menu etc. over the years. I suppose I will give it a try at the new location, once history restarts.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 23rd, 2020, 5:35 am
by Jay Miller
I ordered the Katz's dinner for 4 and it arrived Thursday.

So far:
The half sour pickles were very good (there was a choice of sour or half sour), the pastrami was great, the cinnamon babka was terrible (there was a choice of cinnamon or chocolate), the rye bread was good, the mustard was good. Still to try are the corned beef and the matzoh ball soup.

Edited to add: The matzoh ball soup was pretty bad. Not as bad as the babka, but not very good.

Edited again to add: The corned beef was pretty so-so.

In the end I'd say

Pastrami: A-
Half Sour Pickles: A-
Rye bread: B+
Corned Beef: C
Matzoh Ball Soup: D
Cinnamon Babka: F

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 23rd, 2020, 8:38 am
by Ramon C
Jay, eat straight from box or did you need to warm up the sandwiches ?

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 23rd, 2020, 9:06 am
by Jay Miller
Ramon C wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:38 am
Jay, eat straight from box or did you need to warm up the sandwiches ?
the meats come frozen in vacuum sealed packages and need to be thawed and then heated (they recommend 7 minutes in boiling water). I put the corned beef in the freezer and started on the pastrami.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am
by Barry L i p t o n
The ones I got were sealed one pound packages, making the freezing option easy. Free shipping over $100, so that's basically 3 lbs of meat. One for now, two for the freezer.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 23rd, 2020, 2:45 pm
by Ramon C
Jay Miller wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:06 am
Ramon C wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:38 am
Jay, eat straight from box or did you need to warm up the sandwiches ?
the meats come frozen in vacuum sealed packages and need to be thawed and then heated (they recommend 7 minutes in boiling water). I put the corned beef in the freezer and started on the pastrami.
OK, I misunderstood. Twice we ordered made sandwiches before, 12 of them. Came with all garnishes, the pickles and slaws. Ours were made/delivered same day.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: May 24th, 2020, 2:16 pm
by Michael Sopher
Jay Miller wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 5:35 am
I ordered the Katz's dinner for 4 and it arrived Thursday.

So far:
The half sour pickles were very good (there was a choice of sour or half sour), the pastrami was great, the cinnamon babka was terrible (there was a choice of cinnamon or chocolate), the rye bread was good, the mustard was good. Still to try are the corned beef and the matzoh ball soup.

Edited to add: The matzoh ball soup was pretty bad. Not as bad as the babka, but not very good.
Their soup is bad in the deli too. Sarge's soup on the other hand is awesome.... and the pastrami is my 2nd or 3rd choice in NYC

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 1st, 2020, 9:50 am
by Robert Dentice
Since I can't post restaurant visits on this thread I thought I would mention that I was finally able to try Llama San as they are now doing take out. Llama San is focused on Nikkei cuisine. Easily one of the best delivery experiences since COVID started. We were craving something different than our usual rotation and this was outstanding / comforting. Can't wait to visit the restaurant.

https://www.theinfatuation.com/new-york ... /llama-san


If by chance anyone happens to go to Greenport, NY I also had excellent friend chicken delivered to our hotel from a new spot called Ellens on Front - Sweet tea brined with hot sauce honey butter (on the side) and basil. Just outstanding!

https://www.ellensonfront.com/takeout

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 1st, 2020, 11:40 am
by Mark Golodetz
Michael Sopher wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 5:35 am
I ordered the Katz's dinner for 4 and it arrived Thursday.

So far:
The half sour pickles were very good (there was a choice of sour or half sour), the pastrami was great, the cinnamon babka was terrible (there was a choice of cinnamon or chocolate), the rye bread was good, the mustard was good. Still to try are the corned beef and the matzoh ball soup.

Edited to add: The matzoh ball soup was pretty bad. Not as bad as the babka, but not very good.
Their soup is bad in the deli too. Sarge's soup on the other hand is awesome.... and the pastrami is my 2nd or 3rd choice in NYC
The matzo balls at Katz’ could be certified as weapons and lobbed into Gaza every time they send rockets into Israel. Heavy nasty, all bulk rather than flavor. The pastrami is overrated but edible. But yes, the pickles are good.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 18th, 2020, 7:21 am
by mark rudner
c'mon dentice
there's got to be more food pics since last time
i for one am really missing your posts [cheers.gif]

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 23rd, 2020, 7:32 am
by Robert Dentice
Its been a long time!

Lunch on the street in front of Gem. First time I have ever had a Brandade sandwich. It is some form of Salted Cod. It was excellent. And so wonderful to see Chef Flynn and to be somewhat eating at a restaurant albeit on their front sidewalk.


Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 23rd, 2020, 8:18 am
by Dan Hammer
Michael Sopher wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 5:35 am
I ordered the Katz's dinner for 4 and it arrived Thursday.

So far:
The half sour pickles were very good (there was a choice of sour or half sour), the pastrami was great, the cinnamon babka was terrible (there was a choice of cinnamon or chocolate), the rye bread was good, the mustard was good. Still to try are the corned beef and the matzoh ball soup.

Edited to add: The matzoh ball soup was pretty bad. Not as bad as the babka, but not very good.
Their soup is bad in the deli too. Sarge's soup on the other hand is awesome.... and the pastrami is my 2nd or 3rd choice in NYC
Sarge's at lunch has a full list of specials for $20, and they don't cheap out.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 23rd, 2020, 8:53 am
by mark rudner
sounds like a great menu robert. just wondering how you sit outside in the sun when you always wear black ;)

thanks for posting. hopefully soon it will go back to "normal"

cheers

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 23rd, 2020, 9:09 am
by Barry L i p t o n
Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 11:40 am
Michael Sopher wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 5:35 am
I ordered the Katz's dinner for 4 and it arrived Thursday.

So far:
The half sour pickles were very good (there was a choice of sour or half sour), the pastrami was great, the cinnamon babka was terrible (there was a choice of cinnamon or chocolate), the rye bread was good, the mustard was good. Still to try are the corned beef and the matzoh ball soup.

Edited to add: The matzoh ball soup was pretty bad. Not as bad as the babka, but not very good.
Their soup is bad in the deli too. Sarge's soup on the other hand is awesome.... and the pastrami is my 2nd or 3rd choice in NYC
The matzo balls at Katz’ could be certified as weapons and lobbed into Gaza every time they send rockets into Israel. Heavy nasty, all bulk rather than flavor. The pastrami is overrated but edible. But yes, the pickles are good.
Mark, who is your fave for pastrami? I do love Katz’s, but agree on the other items.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 23rd, 2020, 11:40 am
by Robert Dentice
mark rudner wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 8:53 am
sounds like a great menu robert. just wondering how you sit outside in the sun when you always wear black ;)

thanks for posting. hopefully soon it will go back to "normal"

cheers
It was hot! We were ok for the first 20-30 minutes but ultimately had to move under some shade.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm
by Jay Miller
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 9:09 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 11:40 am

The matzo balls at Katz’ could be certified as weapons and lobbed into Gaza every time they send rockets into Israel. Heavy nasty, all bulk rather than flavor. The pastrami is overrated but edible. But yes, the pickles are good.
Mark, who is your fave for pastrami? I do love Katz’s, but agree on the other items.
I'm not Mark but while I really like Katz's pastrami I think the pastrami at David's Brisket in Brooklyn is better. But they don't ship.

Re: New York City Restaurants

Posted: June 23rd, 2020, 1:18 pm
by Barry L i p t o n
Jay Miller wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 12:49 pm
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
June 23rd, 2020, 9:09 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 11:40 am

The matzo balls at Katz’ could be certified as weapons and lobbed into Gaza every time they send rockets into Israel. Heavy nasty, all bulk rather than flavor. The pastrami is overrated but edible. But yes, the pickles are good.
Mark, who is your fave for pastrami? I do love Katz’s, but agree on the other items.
I'm not Mark but while I really like Katz's pastrami I think the pastrami at David's Brisket in Brooklyn is better. But they don't ship.
Intriguing, and a quick search says ther are others that agree with you. But location is a bit off the beaten path for when I return to NYC.

Katz has no shipping for orders over $99. I live near LA, but the only shipping from Langers I can get is through Goldbelly which claims free shipping but charges $139 for 2 lbs pastrami and one loaf of rye vs. $102 from Katz's for 3 lbs pastrami.