Winderlea Vineyard and Winery - Dundee Hills, Oregon

Winderlea Vineyard and Winery
Dundee Hills AVA Oregon

Spouses and wine lovers Donna Morris and Bill Sweat moved from Boston to Oregon in 2006 having just purchased a legendary, 20 acre vineyard originally planted in the 70s on the Red Hills Bench in Dundee. First known as the Dundee Hills Vineyard and later the Goldschmidt Vineyard, today it is Winderlea, a name derived from combining the word “wind” and “lea” meaning field or meadow.

Winderlea is a boutique winery specializing in the limited production of Pinot noir and Chardonnay from Oregon. Like the founders they followed to Oregon, Bill and Donna are committed to continuing the traditions of responsible stewardship of the land and the highest quality artisan winemaking.

Robert Brittan, a veteran winemaker and viticulturist with over 40 years of experience, leads Winderlea’s winemaking efforts. Following 16 years as winemaker and estate manager at Stags’ Leap Winery, Robert moved to Oregon in 2005 to pursue his lifelong dream of producing Pinot noir in a cool climate. Working hand in hand with Bill and Donna since the beginning, the three collaborate seamlessly, forging experience, energy and endless curiosity about growing and producing wine.

As lovers of wine that speak to the characteristics of each vineyard site, winemaking at Winderlea is focused and minimalist. The goal is to create wine that is elegant, restrained, feminine and which balances fruit and acidity. These wines are ultimately intended to enjoy with food. Exclusively aged in French Oak barrels from a select group of coopers, Winderlea typically uses just 15% to 25% new oak in each cuvée.

The Winderlea Vineyard has been biodynamically farmed since 2009, and in 2016 it became Demeter® certified. Intention reverberates into the business practices at Winderlea, which became B-Corp certified (making it only one of four wineries in the world to be so) in 2015. This certification reflects the commitment that the business practices meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. Winderlea was also named one named one of Wine & Spirits Magazine’s dozen "Wineries to Watch in 2017”.

http://www.winderlea.com | Dundee Hills, Oregon

I used to love the Adelsheim Golschmidt Vineyard wines, and the stuff Robert is making under his Brittan label is killer! Can’t wait to try this.

Great to see you jumping into the fray, Bill! I enjoy selling your wines here in Portland!

Is that a Labradoodle or Goldendoodle with you two? Beautiful dog. (Daisy, our Goldendoodle, is asleep a few feet from me as I write this).

I like your wines. Will check your offer. Do you ship to New York and New Jersey?

Matt, thanks for your note and your nice compliment. We ship to both NY and NJ. Cheers, Bill

Freelon, we have two Labradoodles named Monty and Celie but we are fans of all dogs (especially doodles). Cheers, Bill

Beau, thank you for all your support. I hope we’ll see you around the hills soon (for the moment, Donna and I are in Texas)! Cheers.

Dan R, I hope you enjoy our wines as much as you do the Adelsheim and Brittan. We are big fans of both. Let us know what you think. Cheers.

Hello, Bill! I saw Winderlea on the line up list for Alabama Pinot Camp next month. Will you be making any stops other than Birmingham? I’d love to try your wines at the Huntsville event.

Mandy, we will be at the Huntsville event. Donna and I will look forward to meeting you. Cheers, Bill