Update and Thank You

Longtime community members Mike and Dana Stoneking lost their home in the recent fires. Our community is banding together to raise some money for them as they work through this disaster.
Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

Update and Thank You

#1 Post by Mike Stoneking » December 26th, 2017, 9:20 am

Hello everyone,
Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas filled with friends and family and reflected on the important things in your lives. Dana and I are doing well and we spent the weekend with good friends and family. Saturday was spent with our dear friends Jim Salvito and Perry Norton and they did it up right with a Flannery Rib Roast that would get a cow to have a slice. So good, and with homemade gratin potatoes and the awesome brussels sprout that Jim makes. 1990 Leoville Las Cases and 2007 Hundred Acre wines with the meal were both perfect.
Sunday and Monday were with family and friends of the family that were enjoyable and a welcome distraction to the month's events and also gave our friends we are staying with a respite from us and allowed them to have their time. Friday and Saturday will be spent with another set of dear friends, Brian Bohr and Jennifer Hyer. It is always a great time when we get together and I am certain they have something special planned during our visit.
As for the home front, the adjuster came back with a generous offer on the money available to rebuild. We got all of the base coverage and about 40% of the extended coverage portion of the policy. We also have a very generous amount of content coverage protection which will help to cover the liquid portion of the house contents. I will be adopting the quality over quantity strategy as we rebuild the cellar. Our policy also has a very generous allocation for long term lodging so we will get to find a nice place to wait out the likely 18-24 months estimate for moving back in to our NEW home.
The city of Ventura is doing things as fast as can be expected but hings are taking a bit of time. I keep reminding myself that no-one has this scenario in their playbook, although I am certain at risk communities are now looking at this after the results of the 2 recent fires, Tubbs and Thomas. What was cool was the City manager of Santa Rosa took a red eye to Ventura on Monday night after his council meeting ended to sit with his Ventura counterpart for 3 days to review what worked, what didn't and how to move forward from his experience. he did this on his own and is to commended in helping us get started in the re-build process.
Last thing for now is the way this community has stepped up to offer us a bit of help when nothing was requested. Big hugs and thanks to the first winner of the "Berserker of the Year" award and the "Head Babysitter" of this site in making this happen! They shall remain nameless here, but you all know who they are and I know this board has/would do the same for others in similar situations. What a wonderful extended family we have. The donors and winning bidders are noted below, with some making very strong showings on both sides of the event. I want to also give thanks to the countless bidders that did not win, but I am appreciative of you stepping to give your best shot. To all of you, Dana and I would do the same.
We have a new outlook on life moving forward and it will revolve even more around family, friends, animals and those in need. Small donations by many can help people and organizations achieve great things. The world is a wonderful place and can be made so much better by the seemingly small touch of a hand. Call a long forgotten friend, donation to a cause you have passion for, or even hold a door for a stranger or offer a hand if you see someone in need. Trust me, you will be a better person for that, and you will make your part of the world a better place for all.
Happy New Year to you all and may 2018 be filled with health, happiness and a renewed focus on having a positive impact in your communities.
With much love,
Dana & Mike Stoneking [berserker.gif]
Last edited by Mike Stoneking on January 25th, 2018, 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Dale Bowers
GCC Member
GCC Member

Stoneking Fire Relief Auction

#2 Post by Dale Bowers » December 26th, 2017, 9:35 am

Best of luck with all that lies ahead Mike.

Not that I would wish on anyone with what you have experienced, but the silver lining of these types of events is we recognize what is important in our lives, what is just window dressing, and that the support of family and friends is really what matters and sustains us during these events. May you rebuild better than ever and may your glass always be full with good wine and better friends. [cheers.gif]
Cheers!

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Update and Thank You

#3 Post by Mike Grammer » January 2nd, 2018, 11:33 am

Wonderfully stated, Dale. And thank you Mike for such a fantastic post. May the light that shines through you and Dana to posts and sentiments like these continue to light the way for so many of us in the days and years to come.

My very best wishes for a good rebuild, and looking forward to seeing you both soon.

Mike
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Update and Thank You

#4 Post by c fu » January 2nd, 2018, 10:54 pm

Wait a moment.. now it sounds like you owe us money!?

;p. Glad to hear things are turning up well.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Tran Bronstein
Contributor
Contributor

Update and Thank You

#5 Post by Tran Bronstein » January 4th, 2018, 9:53 am

God bless and good luck with everything. May 2018 be much better for you!
Tran's the smart one!- M Grammer

Return to “Stoneking Benefit Fundraiser Auctions”