Goodfellow Berserker Day IX offers

Happy BD IX everybody! It seems like there’s a huge amount of energy in the air this year, so I wanted to pull out all the stops for number IX!

This year, for anyone ordering a 6 pack, shipping is $20, but if you double down and get 12 bottles I will keep the shipping at $20. This includes the shipper and any sales tax that applies.

Without further ado, here are the options for this year!

\

1. The Rick Allen: 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Willamette Valley Chardonnay, 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Durant Chardonnay, 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Chardonnay “Richard’s Cuvee”
    Normally $220, for BD IX $178!

There is a tremendous amount of really superb Chardonnay being produced in the Willamette Valley
right now. The wines are complex, balanced, and defined by precision and focus rather than opulence and richness. I take a huge amount of pride in the white wines I produce, and with the sites I work with. These Chardonnays are produced from older vines in two of Oregon’s best dry farmed vineyards. I pick the fruit with modest sugars and while acidity is still vibrant, then ferment them to dry over 4-6 months(most of the 2017 Goodfellow chardonnay fruit is still fermenting at this time), the wines go through malo-lactic in the late spring or summer, and then are allowed to rest on the lees for at least another 12-14 months, being only racked at bottling and after a 21 month process. They develop a beautiful weight, subtle leesy nuances, with a great finishing minerality and acidic freshness. Cellar them and they will continue to evolve and improve over several years.

1. The Griswold: 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir, 2 btls 2014 Goodfellow Durant Pinot Noir, 2 blts 2015 Goodfellow Fir Crest Pinot Noir
    Normally $270, for BD IX $216

For the person looking for a beautiful journey through three of Oregon’s best known AVAs, this set starts in the sedimentary soils of Ribbon Ridge, moves over to the volcanic in the Dundee Hills, and finishes with a new single vineyard for me. In Yamhill Carlton, the Fir Crest vineyard was planted in 1985 and this old vine Wadensville offering really embodies the darker fruit I think of in Yamhill Carlton wines, while having a great bump of spice aromatics from the stems, and killer acidity.

The 2015 Whistling Ridge and 2014 Durant offerings are both typical of my wines for structure, but are great examples of how aromatically compelling these vineyards can be.

1. The Ron Felthoven: 2 btls 2015 Goodfellow Heritage #4, 2 bottles 2015 Goodfellow Heritage #5, and 2 bottles Heritage #6.

Typically $420- BD IX price-$330

These wines truly represent the best expression of terroir from 2015. Each stays extraordinarily true to vineyard that produced the wine, and in each case is one of the best bottlings I have ever been fortunate enough to produce. I have been working with Whistling Ridge for 14 years and the Heritage #4 is perhaps the best wine I have produced from this site. The only other possible contender is the 2010 vineyard designate. It is a remarkable site and the #4 is a truly remarkable wine. #5 is one of the most enjoyable bottles of Pinot Noir around, it’s a good bit more hedonistic than my usual Durant bottling, but that’s really the nature of this fruit in 2015. The #6 is easily the best wine I have ever made from Yamhill-Carlton fruit, its a tiny production, of old vine Wadensville from Fir Crest, 75% whole cluster, and aged 19 months before being racked and bottled. Beautifully dark and sleek, but with a distinctly rugged cut to it. The #6 is most definitely what the “most interesting man in the world” in the Dos Equis ads wishes he was drinking.

These are wines I make with the intention to leave them for my sons, so I don’t really recommend Pobega-ing them, but that doesn’t stop me from opening them at appointments either.

For orders, please pm me or email at marcus@goodfellowfamilycellars.com

Have a great BD and here’s to vintage 2018!

Some very tasty wines in there that were already aggressively priced before the discounts! Hoping to get my name back in the mix with the next cool vintage.

RT

2017 is for you! I picked early(at one point I saw Jason Lett, another guy with a penchant for elegance, and he had 4% of his fruit in when I was 80% in). Whistling Ridge is 12.25-13% abv, and flavors are just dynamite. Add in some Temperance Hill wines and I have a pretty good supply of juice that reminds me quite a bit of 2010.

Quite a lovely thing IMO…

I love the full chardonnay package… brilliant! RT will just have to move aside for the rest of us [berserker.gif]

I am super excited about this!

I would love to hear your thoughts on the #4

Ooh, those chardonnays sound delicious…

Just e-mailed to order the Rock Allen and the Felthoven. Awesome offer, fantastic wines, great guy - thanks Marcus!

just pm’ed for the chardonnay bundle - thank you for participating in Berserker Day, looking forward to trying the wines.

Winner, best named offers. [worship.gif]

Order in for the Rick Allen and The Griswold - looking for a bit more color on the Heritage wines - what makes them so different from the regular bottlings from those vineyards and so much more ageable? Afraid they will outlive me as Marcus is much younger than me!

I am in for a Felthoven!

In for an Allen and a Felthoven. How could I not? :slight_smile:

In for two 6 packs of the chard…now that we know the Goodfellow section of the wine cellar will be replenished, it’s safe to open one tonight. [basic-smile.gif] Thank you Marcus!

Gotta go for the Grizzy myself and the Allen for msGris, I’ll leave the high priced stuff for Ron. Set them aside for for me to pick up when I head to the valley. [cheers.gif]

Dennis,

No Goodfellow for me but I have 4+ cases in the cellar thanks to y’all Oregon Berserkers.

Folks these wines are fantastic. I’ve tasted through most of the pinots and all the chards and they are just wonderful in a restrained AFWE style. The WV blends all punch way above their price range.

:slight_smile: the Heritage wines WILL live for 20 years, but they don’t need to. I open the # 4 in the TR all the time so I can take it home(and that’s coming from someone who likes drinking other peoples wines and Heater Allen beers when the work day is done).

These wines really represent the idea that within good Oregon vineyards(say 1er Cru quality) there are sections, blocks, or rows that are just better(Grand Cru). And that elevating these sections in an old world fashion-no fining, no enzymes, no cold soaks, significant amounts of stems to provide a finer (and firmer) quality to the tannins, and letting the wines evolve in the cellar for a longer period(19-21 months typically) allows these sections to show their class without relying on ripeness, extraction, and sweet oak influence(the Heritage wines, except the #5, see a significant amount of new wood, but it’s all 500 Liter puncheons produced from staves from tight grain forests, seasoned for 3 years and coopered with a moderate toast.

(Deep breath in…)

I often joke that I make wines for Negroni drinkers, but there’s a lot of truth in that joke too. These are very complete wines, including a serious commitment to tannins, savory nuances, and bitterness a la the Negroni.

Regarding them being wines for the cellar, my best metaphor is that Mozart’s most refined work was in the years before his death, but he was remarkable at an early age as well. Like many classic Pinot Noir, I would expect a solid drinking window on the Heritage wines around age 5 for the #5 and around 7-9 for the #4 and #6.

Very much appreciated!

Will do Dennis!

Wow! Thanks Marcus - love Campari with my juniper - and big second on on the WV wines qpr - with the 14 WV Pinot on the shelf here in CO it has become the house wine!

Are you still making the white wine Deiss style - just enjoyed the 2014 on the special case offer from a couple years ago - fantastic wine and qpr as well!