2013/2012 Pierre Benetiere Côte Rôtie offering

PLEASE PM WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS OR EMAIL ME DIRECTLY FOR PRICING:

Bonjour du Jedi Sphinx du Condrieu,
Pierre Benetière, simply put, has to be one of the most soulful, hilarious, and enigmatic characters that I’ve ever met. As we clambered around his steep terraced vineyards in the Granitic Cordeloux and half hidden here in his oh-so-special nugget in the cool side valley vineyards of la Turque, our conversations effortlessly flowed from cackles of potty humor limericks to zen distillations of Lao Tzu poetry. Pierre and I are kindred spirits in many regards, something that he says he intuited from the first time we met: “It’s The Force in you…,” he opined later that evening, dubbing me with the nickname Robbie-Wine-Konobi. Whilst the humanistic and mystic elements of Pierre’s person may dwell in the guarded private space that he calls his own, the fruit of his labors seems to universally transmit some of this man’s soul imprint and his deep connection to his vineyards. His vines are an inseparable extension of himself, the line between subject and object dissolving, his love and care for them an essential part of how he regulates his own well being.
Thus when the poor flowering of the 2013 vintage cut his yields by more than half in both white and red, requiring even more backbreaking work for even less reward, he suffered accordingly. Pierre accepts such suffering without any self pity, with a c’est la vie sense of Sisyphusian surrender. “Happiness was not made for me,” he shared with tragic nonchalance. I attempt to counter such darkly fatalistic feelings by telling him how much his work is appreciated by an ever expanding crowd/cult of wine lovers who are moved by the singular beauty of his work. Such compliments don’t seem to sink too deeply into his consciousness; they never have, he tells me. For as long as he can remember, he was never comfortable with praise and recognition, clearly a part of why he eschews the public limelight. While his brooding nature may at times color his own atmosphere in a deep shade of blue, his daughter, fittingly named Lucille (or little light), is a beacon of Joy and Light in his universe. Their loving and inimitable comedic rapport radiates the most special of father-daughter bonds. As much as Pierre may accept suffering as his own lot, he conversely accepts his role as a guardian of his daughter’s happiness with a deep joie de vivre. I would like to believe that the karmic circle completes itself, that Pierre should receive in return all that he lovingly gives to his vineyard and his family. Alas, it seems that Pierre wanders the Purgatory middle road that we all do, vacillating somewhere between the bottomless dark depths of the abyss and the fleeting celestial heights of life’s brightest shining moments…
In a spirit of celebration for every moment of mindful care that went into making them, I present a comprehensive offer of Pierre’s new releases, including the 2013 Condrieu, 2013 Cordeloux, and 2012 Dolium. Fans of Pierre’s wines and northern Rhone syrah in general will be delighted by the classical 2013 Cordeloux for its balance of power and grace, with plenty of whole cluster spice and structure that will blossom in the cellar. Yields were less than half of a “regular” vintage, with ex-cellar prices understandably raised a good bit; i’ve tried to absorb the blow on my end the best I can. The 2013 Condrieu is for the final time from his two different parcels, the more nervy and mineral le Tinal and the richer more honeyed Riollement. The personality of these two in the cooler '13 coupled with the minuscule yields from awful flowering have yielded one of my favorite Condrieu wines i’ve yet tasted from Pierre for its concentration and nerve. And for the Dolium, well, it is off the charts bonkers good (and I will say no more), but there is never enough…

LE MENU:

2013 Condrieu $ per or $ per for 6+ btls - Roughly 100 cases made in 2013.

2013 Côte Rôtie Cordeloux $ in 750ml 240 bottles available, $ in Magnum 30 available. 250 cases made in 2013.
“Brilliant ruby. Sexy, mineral-accented dark berry and floral pastille scents show excellent clarity and hints of olive and cola. Sweet and energetic on the palate, offering juicy black and blue fruit flavors and zesty cracked pepper and allspice nuances. Shows an impressive blend of power and finesse on a very long, youthfully tannic finish that leaves a lively blueberry note behind.” 92 points Josh Raynolds

2012 Côte Rôtie Dolium $ 24 bottles available - THIS WILL BE ROUGHLY ALLOCATED ON A 10:1 BASIS WITH THE CORDELOUX. Feel free to ask for more, as it’s possible that there may be enough folks buying Cordeloux alone to free up a bottle or two, but…only one barrel made in 2012, or 25 cases.

IN STOCK:
2012 Condrieu $ in 750ml, $ per on 6+btls!
2012 Cote Rotie Cordeloux $ in 750ml, $ per for 6+btls, $ in Magnum

LES VOILA

It is my pleasure and honor to ambassador Pierre’s super-human efforts, and an even greater pleasure to know him as my one-of-a-kind friend.
The 2013 wines and 2012 Dolium are offered at these prices during a one week presell period, after which i’ll tweeze away allocations; the red wines are just being bottled now (the longest elevage i’ve known Pierre to employ) and will arrive with the cool of the Fall. Remaining wines will rise in price 10-15% post presell. In stock wines are offered first come, first served. Upon confirmation, payment due in full via check/Friends and Family Paypal/CC+%.
As always, with any questions or interests: rob@downtoearthwines.net
CHEERS TO PIERRE, TO ALL THAT YOU ARE MY FRIEND!!

Hey Robert, are the prices left off on purpose?

Yes.
Send me your email address to receive pricing. (if you aren’t already on my email list)

Hi Rob,
Hope all’s been well. I don’t think I ever received the email with this offer. Can you please send me prices?
Thx,
Levi

Hi Rob: I received a “your email could not be delivered” bounceback from your host.

Thanks,
David