Wtb 1964 Port

Hi

Birthday year for 55 this year, looking for something still in good shape and port seems to be the best bet, anyone got a spare bottle please. Purchase or would trade for a Bourbon

There is one for sale here, Alan.

Ed

Thats a tawny and i want a regular vintage Port

Alan Eden wrote:
Thats a tawny and i want a regular vintage Port

I am not an expert on Vintage Port, but I do not believe there were any port houses that made a declaration in 1964.

Ed

Noval Nacional was declared in 1964. Serious bucks though.

Alan,

I’d suggest that you check out Rare Wine Co. for Barolo from 1964. I have one left that I bought for a song and don’t want to trade it or sell it…but there should be some affordable finds there. The 1964 Franco-Fiorina Barolo is $160 and for wines that age that are still likely to be drinking well…that’s a song. I’m a Bicentennial baby and I struggle to find good wines less than $300 from my birth year. Best of luck Sir!

unfortunately 64 wasn’t a declared Vintage (63 and 66 were), so your only options are Colheita Ports or Madeiras if you want to go the fortified route

that’s what I assumed. However, W-S show a 64 Taylor

I worry it would be tired

I’d be more worried about a ‘64 port than I would be a 64 Barolo. The likelihood that there is some Barbera in the blend is more than I’d like…but the last time I opened my ‘64 it needed 8-10 hours decanted before it showed up. Not knowing your wine preferences is the bigger challenge in my mind.

Just buy a 63 and pretend. I’ve had several and when they are on they are ethereal

Go with 1964 Right Bank Bordeaux. Most picked before the rain, and the pricing is good. Look for Figeac, Trotanoy and VCC