FS: 2018 DRC Montrachet——SALE CLOSED

Gotta cover some other wine purchases. Looking for $9000 and buyer covers shipping. PM if interested

:frowning:

My eyes perked up when I saw THIS offer…as I’ve had some killer deals from Justin, a great seller…and have been wanting to add a DRC Monty to the cellar for quite some time.
Are they really 9K now? [mouth-drop.gif]

The only W-S offer on the '17 is for $12,500 [swoon.gif]

(But yes, I know W-S isn’t reliable for wines like this because the listed wines are the ones that haven’t sold blah blah blah)

I was offered one this year from a retailer at $10k. Standard retail markup price for 17 was about $5500 if you could get one. Unsure if prices went up substantially from WD this year.

With DRC Corton running around $2000/btl……the madness continues. Seems like DRC is at a 2X over the past 3-5yrs and 4X over the past 8-10yrs. Back in 2012, I paid $2600 at retail for an 09 Monty. Dem were the days.

Where is Corton actually selling for $2k? I paid $760 last year.

$9K for Montrachet is a very fair price these days. For a very long time, Montrachet did not follow the upward trajectory of Romanee-Conti despite being rarer and just as singular a wine. The last vintage of DRC I bought at release in quantity (ie cases) at normal markup was 2006 and that year I paid $4K for Romanee-Conti and $1,700 for Montrachet. These days the Montrachet is just a little less than Romanee-Conti at release, much closer to the old days when both Montrachet and RC were the same price- translating to $500 retail which most wine collectors considered outrageous at the time (and scarily, not all that long ago.)

It’s hitting that at auction, most recently at HDH, but don’t let that get in the way of another DRC humble brag.

If you can find a retailer willing to only mark up 20-25% then yes….it can be had for sub $800. That’s a rare occurrence though as they likely had to take shit margins on hundreds of entry level WD wines in order to get the DRC. But kudos for the well below market score

Just another data point, I paid €450– last night for 2014 and 2015 Corton on a wine list in Lyon.
And I did not have to buy any crap from WD.

1 Like

2017 DRC Corton was, if you could get it, $437.25 Canadian (350USD) this year at release.

Thus the reason for my annual Burgundy trip. Cheaper in restaurants there than US wholesale.

Was $600 in the US but that included the tariff

I tasted 11 Vosne 1er and 14 Corton this trip.
Neither were memorable.

Did see 18 Petit Monts on a card for 500€, if we were not in the middle of nowhere, and at lunch, I would have bought it.

DRC?

Last call for alcohol then into the cellar depths it goes.

$5500 cash money!

Do you think $9000– is the right price?

Recent auctions certainly support the price and most houses aren’t charging sellers a premium. But….I don’t have much to add to create a reasonable auction bundle. I’ve received offers for at or slightly above $8k so I might just take it. Not sure I’d have enough appreciation for the wine at these levels

1 Like