1974 Heitz Martha's, unopened case

Gauging the interest on a full, unopened case of '74 Heitz MV.
Full disclosure- this is not my wine. I was contacted by the owner about purchasing some Heitz from her collection, which appears to have been shipped directly from Heitz to her house, then stored in a commercial wine storage facility in LA since. I bought a an unopened case of '72 MV, as well as a mixed case of '73 and '75.
The owner is well travelled, and very wine knowledgeable, but perhaps wasn’t fully aware of the value of the '74. I buy a lot of older wine, but this was the first I’ve stumbled across an unopened case of '74. Unfortunately, after the last 17 months my places have gone through, I couldn’t offer a fair price, but I did volunteer to help her sell it.
Auction estimates are super high, but thought I might see what, if any, interest there is here.

Interested. Is there an idea of pricing?

I did get some initial auction house estimates, which are very high (in line with the high estimate on WS), so I have a feeling it’s not going to be an inexpensive case:)
That said- I’m happy to relay any offers to the owner. Unfortunately, my pockets aren’t quite deep enough for this one.

I’m also interested, but would rather see a price from the seller rather than just tossing out numbers.

1 Like

Offers have been all over the place, but there are several in the $25-$30K range. And while that seems high, is probably about market correct.
As I posted- I’m not the owner, I’m just trying to help facilitate the sale. I’ve got no financial interest in this whatsoever, so I’m happy to relay any offers to the owner

If you have an offer for 30k you should run, not walk, to the new owner. Even with iron clad proof of it coming directly from Heitz, perfect fills/bottle condition, and proof of storage for the last 40+ years 2500 per bottle for all 12 is an emotional purchase and not in line with current values (as nutty as they are). I say all this respectfully and is coming from someone who would pay around 22k for the box pending pics/info and even then I’d feel like I overpaid for the story.

1 Like

Have you opened any of the 72/73/75 that you purchased?

Right

Agree with this. Anything over $25k is a home run sale, especially when factoring in the lack of auction ‘Vig’. Sell, Mortimer. Sell!!!

I am not sure I agree. I just sold a single bottle of the 1974 to a retailer for $2k. This is far more desirable; a full case and with provenance. My guess is that in the right auction, it could go for $30k plus.

I understand seller’s costs can vary from house to house, but in the typical case, wouldn’t this case have to hammer for around $35K to net the seller the $30K that’s apparently been offered ?

Some action houses offer no seller cost

I would bet that there will be no commission with this lot, and the seller will net the hammer price.

Completely agree with this. UNOPENED case of '74 Marthas stored since release is a rare gem.
It’s my #1 birthyear wishlist wine. If only I had an extra $30k stashed in the sofa pillows [snort.gif]

Anything is possible. You could also have a soft week and get less. 30k guaranteed is a pretty incredible offer.

We also haven’t seen pictures - perfect labels or dry rotted? Capsules pristine or totally oxidized? Fill levels all impeccable? We’re doing a lot of armchair quarterbacking without picture. I’d take 30k and run.

The case will be opened and if there are condition issues, no doubt that will effect the price.

This may be Napa’s most famous wine, yet Ghost Horse and Screagle are both trading for over $400o plus, this is $2500 plus VIG.

let me know please if she’s looking to sell any of the '75s (heitz or otherwise)

Well, the box is unopened, still sealed with the packing tape it left the winery with, so I can’t vouch for the condition of the bottles. The only potential issue I could see is that they were stored upside down for 40+ years. I guess I sort of understand why that was a popular idea back then, but I don’t believe they (ie: Joe Heitz, Louis P Martini etc…) considered their wines would be stored for that long a period. Sediment builds up at the neck, and the corks get a workout, with fill levels base-nick/upper-shoulder. That was the case with the '72s I bought; capsule and label were pristine, color & clarity were perfect, no sign of any seepage, raised corks etc… fill levels are BN/US. They appear to be very well stored bottles.
And I actually do think there is added value being from a single owner, as well as a single source (unopened case); if one bottle is good, odds are they all will be. Then again, if one is shot…

Re: “running” to the $28K offer- I agree. I think that is an unbelievably great price, and if the case was mine, I would indeed run. OR at least move as quickly as my bum knees will allow. But it’s not. All I’m doing is trying to help someone sell a nice case of wine.

And lastly- if Heritage can auction a sealed Legend of Zelda game cartridge for $870K, maybe $25-$30K isn’t so crazy after all;)

I would consider a significant auction house, setting a reserve of $30,000.00!

The worst outcome is that it doesn’t sell for $30,000.00.

The best outcome is that 2,3 or 4 bidders want to purchase the 12 bottle case, and each bidder DOESN’T LIKE TO LOSE!

IF IN PERFECT CONDITION FOR ITS’ AGE, its’ value will continue to increase, if it doesn’t sell!

Sell in Hong Kong!!!

The owner can dictate terms, etc with the auction house.

If you want help, please advise!

I guess I’m not going to get this wine @$850 like the last pristine 74 MV bottle I got from David? [wink.gif]