It's Coffee Time Again--some Microlot beauties

Micro-lot coffee has become an adventure for true coffee lovers. This is a fun journey of specialty micro-lots, i.e. coffee that is produced by its date and origin, because each farm/area has its own terroir.

These farmers live within higher standards than their counterparts at other origins. About ten years ago many farmers started building their own micro mills in order to keep their coffee separate from commercial coffee and sell a superior product.

Here is the beginning of your journey!! We are excited to offer an “ACES” coffee again this year [bye.gif] . ACES lots are small, exclusive, incredible offerings that empower coffee growers, showcase triumphant experiments and meticulous production, and revolutionize the coffee experience

You will receive 2-8oz sealed, one way valve bags of each coffee. All of these coffees will be roasted to a City/Medium roast on Monday January 28 and will be shipped on January 30. These are small production coffees so we are limited in the number of orders we can take.

E-mail me with any questions. ericn@thecoffeegrounds.com

$78 shipping included for 4# of Micro-lot Coffee. Click this link to place your order and scroll to the bottom of the page

Make sure to use the discount code BD10 for your free shipping!!

Its a lot of reading!!!

Orlando Aguilar - Finca Buena Vista
Region: Alotepec, Chalatengano
Farm: Buena Vista
Variety: Pacas
Altitude: 1300 masl
Processing: Washed

The Cup: Caramel, lemon, toffee and almond flavors; sweet and creamy with tart acidity.
Producer Orlando Aguilar comes from a coffee-producing family that has developed traditions in El Salvador. He has focused his intentions to sell coffee to the specialty market by working with strong varieties and an ideal climate, soil, and altitude.
The harvest at Finca Buena Vista is done entirely by hand, selecting only the full-ripe cherries for processing. Once picked, the coffee is fermented in sacks for an average of 9–12 hours, depulped, washed, and dried on raised beds and patios for an average of 10–13 days.

Nebilyer - Western Highlands
Region: Tambul Nebilyer, Highlands Province
Farm: Various smallholder farmers
Variety: Bourbon
Altitude: 1200–1600 masl
Harvest: March-July, September-November

The Cup: Clean with tangy fruit acidity and a smooth mouthfeel; lemon and toffee flavor with an herbal aftertaste.
The Nebilyer Wet Mill was founded in 2015 and serves a number of smallholder producers in the area around Tambul Nebilyer. Producers in this region typically own less than 5 hectares each, and grow a mix of good varieties including Caturra, Bourbon, and Typica.
At this mill, coffee is delivered in its cherry form and it is sorted and de-pulped at the mill before being fermented for 36 hours underwater. The seeds are then washed clean three times before being brought to the drying fields, where they will dry for 6–7 days, weather permitting.

Juan Peña - Hacienda La Papaya
Region: San Lorenzo, Saraguro, Loja
Farm: Hacienda La Papaya
Variety: Typica
Altitude: 2100 masl
Harvest: January-April

The Cup: Floral, citrus fruit and tart apple flavors; sweet and savory with lots of acidity and a smooth mouthfeel.
Hacienda La Papaya is the farm and estate owned and operated by Juan Peña, who is perhaps Ecuador’s most famous emerging specialty-coffee farmer. Juan is a multigeneration farmer, but he’s relatively new to coffee: A former long-stem-rose producer, he started experimenting with coffee plants in about 2010, after disastrous weather wiped out his flower fields.
Juan grows several varieties on this land and is actively engaged with processing experiments as well. His farming is meticulous, scientific, curious, and giving: He provides neighbors and farm workers space in his nursery, along with seedlings, so that they can develop plots of their own.

La Perla del Café Micromill - Finca Chispita
Region: Cirri Sur, Naranjo
Farm: Chispita
Variety: SL-28
Altitude: 1500 masl
Processing: Honey
Harvest: January-April

The Cup: Sweet, clean and juicy with big fruit acidity and a heavy creamy mouthfeel; lots of fruit and sugar flavors with cherry cola, caramel, burnt sugar, dark chocolate, tart cherry, raisin, pulpy ripe fruit and tropical fruit.
In the early 2010s, Don Carlos decided to leave the family coffee business and go off and work independently, with a laser focus on the kinds of coffees he wants to produce. He and his wife, Diana, own five small farms and La Perla Del Cafe Micromill—“micro” being the key word here. Not only do the Barrantes only produce about 300 bags a year, their dedication to quality and incredibly high mean they focus on quality over quantity in all ways. They even work with the exact same group of pickers every year.
These close relationships and exact practices allow them to work meticulously: Pickers focus on the cherry that’s the color ofsangre de toro or “bull’s blood,” and Don Carlos and Doña Diana trust the pickers so much they don’t even have float tanks at the mill. Workers and visitors alike are made to cover or remove their shoes before stepping into the drying area to avoid trailing dust and dirt and the receiving and de-pulping stations at the mill are sparkling clean, as though they were brand new.
The Barrantes’ obsession with details translates in the cup year after year. The couple appreciates the experience that a very fine coffee can offer a consumer and they want to ensure that every coffee that leaves the mill is memorable and remarkable in its flavor.
The mill produces mostly Honey coffees but Carlos likes to experiment with different varieties: He currently grows Gesha, Villa Lobos, Typica, Villa Sarchi, and was the first Costa Rican producer of SL-28.

Sorry–just a little late getting everything set. Minus 17 around here this morning…causes a brain to freeze up.

in your other offerings on your web site, are the bags 12 or 16 oz? Doesn’t say.

Good guy. Very easy to deal with. Great roast

Everything on the coffee site is a 16oz bag. Add some on if you see something you like and it will ship for free with the microlot codes.

I order some for my wife early this morning. Code already worked. She’ll be happy.

order confirmed. First roasted coffee I have bought since I started roasting about 4 years ago. Hope the Guat is recently roasted. Thanks.

Are whole beans available ?

ooh, yes, that’s what I’d want also for my order.

I assume it was whole beans to begin with?

Same. If not, how do we request?

I send him an e-mail asking about it.

The Coffee Grounds sells whole beans. I am sure these are no different. Unfortunately Eric had some commitments today but I am sure he will chime in as soon as he can.

Had to grab some beans too.

Mercy. [beg.gif]

Sorry for the delay. I was out of the store yesterday.

Yes to it being shipped whole bean. There are a couple offerings left if anyone else wants to get one.

Ordered 4 lbs of Tanzanian Peaberry .
Thanks !

the coffee is a very light roast. City roast at the most. But bright and outstanding. Use about 20% more than usual dark roasts would take—I’ll order again. I’m impressed.

Enjoying my espresso in the office now… and it reduces the back pain I’ve been having for days!