Fogline Vineyards BD10 - 25% off Unique Wines

FoglineLogoGrapeGears.jpg
Flora.jpg
Flora We Adore Ya
In 2015 we were offered the opportunity to vinify a strange blue/purple/white grape from the vineyard adjacent to our winery and tasting room. The the vineyard was planted and grown as a nursery vineyard for the Kunde’s Sonoma Grapevines. The church that now owns it didn’t really know what the grape was but I was interested in working with something strange. As it turns out the single row was planted to a 1938 cross of Gewürztraminer and Sémillon. The grape was crossed at the Experimental Station in Davis by the renowned scientist Dr. Harold Olmo. Sadly as much as I wanted to learn the most I could about the grape I couldn’t as he had passed in 2006. I went to work hunting through all my ancient Practical Winery and Vineyard mags and came up with a plan.The first year was very intriguing in that we had a lot of interest from the Milennials. Though Dr. Olmo was trying to get more structural acidity into Gerwuztraminer by adding the Sémillon, his result was a lychee/lemon, somewhat IPA oddity that is very unique. As far as I know we are the only winery in CA doing a straight dry Flora. The second vintage was submitted to Enthusiast and received a 90, 3 days later I drove up to the winery and saw that they had cut down the vines to plant more Pinot for Meomi. Heartbroken, I ran out and collected vines and cuttings that we are working with to re-establish our adorable Flora. We never submitted the '17 as most of it went to our wine club. I have 8 cases to sell to the WineBerserker family. We will not have any more Flora for at least 4 years, when the vines come back on line. Get it while you can it is a beautiful Alsatian style wine that can stand up to the best. We had a Swiss wine retailer in yesterday lamenting the we make so little.

Floating on Cloud Twelve
4 years ago I took on another small project. While I was pouring wine at a Petaluma Gap tasting, a gentleman came up to me and started giving me shit, in a friendly sort of way. When he realized that I kinda knew what I was talking about he asked me if I wanted to renovate his small vineyard. I went up to look at it a couple days later and gasped. It had not been watered or pruned in 5 years. It was a jungle to say the least. I managed to convince my business partner that we should give it a try. It is the highest Syrah vineyard in Sonoma County at 2100ft. About 200 ft above Pfendler’s Helgren Pinot Noir vineyard on Sonoma Mountain. A couple things intrigued me. First it had been part of the Flowers Perennial bottling years before. Second, the owner was Barry Lawrence who was integral to creating the Sonoma Coast AVA along with Rod Berglund and I wanted to pick his brain. Lastly he had originally planted it to Ehrenfelser, a white Germanic grape with stone fruit characteristics and I knew that some of that was growing back. In my mind I saw the opportunity to create another unique wine co-fermenting the Ehrenfelser with Syrah similar to Cote Rotie where Viogner is co-fermented with Syrah. The result is a whirlwind of flavors. Starting with the floral apricot/peach bouquet moving to cold climate Syrah raspberry and then onto the meaty and spicy elements with a bit of eucalyptus menthol. I’m guessing I’m the only person in the world making a Syrah/Ehrenfelser co-fermented wine right now. It garnered a gold at 2018 Sonoma County Harvest Fair. I have only made 1 red vintage so far of the Syrah blend, choosing to make an incredible Rosé of Syrah the other years. As the vineyard comes to life and we add more arms to the vines we will again make the Syrah but for now we only have the 2016 Sonoma County Select. It has a bit of Dry Creek Valley Grist Vineyard Syrah added to it so it is not a Petaluma Gap wine by label.

What does this mean for you? I’m giving the Berserker community a 25% coupon for these wines for Berserker Day 10. Enjoy!

Go to our website www.foglinevineyards.com/store, add your wine and add the coupon BerserkerDay10 at checkout to get the discount on these wines. If you have problems you can contact me at evan@foglinevineyards.com and I’ll take care of you personally, we have changed software in the new year(AGAIN).

Your site seems to be having some issues so sent an email. Loved the Flora I got last year.

All good now, wrong link in my OP now corrected. Thanks Rich.

All Good, went 2 Flora and 2 Syrah, looking forward to them.

Thanks Rich I appreciate your support :slight_smile:.

Order in! Look forward to trying the flora.

Thanks Matt and everyone. I was in the winery tasting room all day and couldn’t get to my computer.