Briceland Vineyards - Humboldt's Finest Since 1985

Deals first, story follows. An asterisk (*) indicates that the wine was made with organically farmed grapes.

Thanks for looking at our 9th annual Berserker Day offering.

Humboldt Pinots: Humboldt County Pinot Noir 6 pack (Offer #1) • $178
Two each of three Pinots, the vineyards are spread across the Southern Humboldt county. Ronda’s, located just a few miles northeast from the winery tends to yield wines of exceptional complexity and structure which are more acid than tannin driven. Alderpoint Vineyard is located to the east, near the main fork of the Eel River. The wines tend to be expressive and approachable in their youth, though they often transform with short-term aging. The 2017 Humboldt Appellation PN is a blend of Alderpoint, Phelps and Ronda’s Vineyards. It is my favorite of appellation Pinot that I have made.

2016 Humboldt Pinot Noir, Ronda’s Vineyard* (13.6% / 139 cases)
2016 Humboldt Pinot Noir, Alderpoint Vineyard (12.3% / 162 cases)
2017 Humboldt Appellation Pinot (13.4% / 275 cases)

Ishi Pishi Reds (Offer #2) • $168
Ishi Pishi Ranch is a unique vineyard and this sampler allows you to to a deep dive into the terroir. The cooler climate means that the Bordeaux grapes are picked at a lower Brix, yielding wines with higher natural acidity and lower alcohol levels.

2015 Humboldt Zinfandel, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.3% / 122 cases)
2015 Humboldt Syrah, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.5% / 116 cases)
2015 Humboldt Cabernet, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.4% / 52 cases)
2014 Humboldt Malbec, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.4% / 52 cases)
NV Noir d’Orleans (Bdx Blend)* (13.4% / 52 cases)
2014 Humboldt Petit Verdot, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.4% / 52 cases)

Ishi Pishi Petit Verdot Pack (Offer #3) • $215
Ishi Pishi Ranch is a unique vineyard and this 3 vintage PV pack allows you consider the yearly variations. 2 of each for a 6er.

2013 Humboldt Petit Verdot, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.4% / 58 cases)
2015 Humboldt Petit Verdot, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.2% / 113 cases)

Ronda’s Only: (Offer #4) • $166
Ronda’s Vineyard is special. Planted in 1983 in a terraced south facing bowl at 1600 feet elevation, the site is singularly Humboldt in it’s expression. 2 bottles of each wine to make a 6er.

2015 Humboldt Pinot Noir, Ronda’s Vineyard* (12.9% / 117 cases)
2016 Humboldt Chardonnay, Ronda’s Reserve* (12.9% / 84 cases)

All Humboldt Reds (Offer #5) • $176
This pack showcases Humboldt County terroir. The Pinots show a contrast in Southern Humboldt terroir, though they are unmistakably cousins. Ishi Pishi Ranch is a hillside vineyard that sits just above the fog line in Northeast Humboldt. It produces grapes that are able to produce complex, age-worthy wines at lower alcohol levels. The Petit Verdot should easily age for a decade or more.

2017 Humboldt Pinot Noir, Appellation Blend (13.4% / 275 cases)
2015 Humboldt Zinfandel, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.9% / 121 cases)
2015 Humboldt Syrah, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.1% / 123 cases)
NV Humboldt Noir d’Orleans (Bordeaux blend from 2013 -2015 vintages), Ishi Pishi Ranch* (12.4% / 302 cases)
2014 Humboldt Petit Verdot, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.4% / 54 cases)

5 Whites and a Pink Bubbly (Offer #6) • $139
I strive to make white wines in a crisper style, maintaining as much natural acidity as possible. All of the wines are dry and see no oak. The Pet Nat Rose of Tempranillo is light in color, with pleasing fresh fruit and creamy texture.

2016 Humboldt Chardonnay, Ronda’s Reserve* (12.9% / 84 cases)
2018 Humboldt Sauvignon Blanc, Reserve (13.6% / 101 cases)
2018 Humboldt Sauvignon Blanc (13.2% / 135 cases)
2018 Humboldt Gewurtztraminer, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.6% / 68 cases) (bone dry)
2018 Mendocino Arneis, Spirit Canyon Vineyard (13.6 / 136 cases)
2019 Mendocino Pet Nat Rosé of Tempranillo, Round Valley Vineyard* No Sulfites Added (13.7% / 40 cases)

Mendocino Reds (Offer #7) • $146
Round Valley Vineyard is located in the Northern part of Mendocino, in the the Covelo AVA. This part of the county has more in common with Humboldt that it does with the the rest of Mendocino. The Dark Horse Vineyard selections are a bit richer and more crowd-pleasing, though still lean by California standards. Dark Horse Vineyard is between Ukiah and Hopland and is owned and meticulously farmed by Paul Dolan. 2 each for a 6er.

2018 *Mendocino Tempranillo, Round Valley Vineyard (13.6% / 56 cases) No Sulfites Added
2017 *Mendocino Zinfandel, Dark Horse Vineyard (13.1% / 156 cases)
2016 *Mendocino Syrah, Dark Horse Vineyard (13.1% / 246 cases)

Humboldt 12 (Offer #8) • $295
This sampler allows you to to a deep dive into the terroir of Humboldt County.

2016 Humboldt Pinot Noir, Alderpoint Vineyard (12.3% / 162 cases)
2015 Humboldt Pinot Noir, Ronda’s Vineyard* (12.9% / 117 cases)
2016 Humboldt Chardonnay, Ronda’s Reserve (12.9% / 84 cases)
2018 Humboldt Sauvignon Blanc, Reserve (13.6% / 101 cases)
2015 Humboldt Petit Verdot, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.2% / 113 cases)
2015 Humboldt Syrah, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.4% / 52 cases)
2015 Humboldt Zinfandel, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.9% / 121 cases)
2015 Humboldt Cabernet, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.4% / 52 cases)
2014 Humboldt Malbec, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.4% / 52 cases)
2018 Humboldt Gewurtztraminer, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (13.6% / 68 cases) (bone dry)
2017 Humboldt Sparkling Rosé Pet Nat, Ishi Pishi Ranch* (12.4% / 76 cases) (bone dry)

Shipping

Each 6-pack offer has flat rate shipping of $15. Shipping on a case or more is free. To build a case, combine any 2 6-packs from the list below or pick the Humboldt 12 Case. If you’re shipping to CA ask about a CA bonus.

To place your order: email - Andrew@bricelandvineyards.com
Please include your selection, shipping address, billing address if different and PHONE NUMBER. If you can have your order shipped to a business address, please do so, as it saves me some on the shipping expense. I will be in touch to arrange payment. If you’d rather, send the requested details and call: (707) 923-2429. If you prefer to call in your order, I am more than happy to hear from you. Also, feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone if you have any questions.

It has been a genuine pleasure to be part of the Wine Berserkers community for the last 9+ years. BerserkerDay has been a great way for us to connect our tiny, out of the way Southern Humboldt Winery with wine enthusiasts far and wide. We strive to produce expressive, honest, food-friendly wines that allow our unique terroir to shine through.

I look forward to hearing your feedback as you taste the wines.

Cheers!

Andrew Morris, Winemaker

Below please find some selected notes and some of the story of our winery…

2015 Briceland Vineyards Syrah Ishi Pishi Ranch

Community Tasting Note
CMN favorite WROTE:94 Points
Wednesday, December 25, 2019 - Simply fantastic. Dark red fruits with a pronounced hebal influence of oregano and sage. Incredibly savory and calls to mind the Northern Rhone moreso than California. Blind, this is a ringer for Côte Rôtie. Moderately scaled and well balanced with aging potential. Among the best Briceland wines/Californian Syrah that I’ve ever had. Stupendous.

2015 Briceland Vineyards Zinfandel Ishi Pishi Ranch

5/19/2019 - WINESHLUB favorite WROTE: 94 Points
Popped and poured. Rich aroma of flowers and herbs. Dark fruit flavors, bramble. Earthy finish. The bramble is quite pronounced when first opened, becomes integrated with air time.

Pure fruit, vibrant, forward and quite young, some complexity. This has more characteristic Zinfandel notes than I’ve had in other Briceland IPR Zins, but is none the worse for it. It’s great now, but should get even better with time.

2015 Briceland Vineyards Pinot Noir Ronda’s Vineyard

Community Tasting Note

RICHARD P HOWDEN LIKES THIS WINE:

91 Points

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - Very pretty wine. Surprising complexity in the nose, with light red fruit, earth, cinnamon, clove. Medium weight palate with more red fruit, very dry, nice bite and balance, long+ finish. Solid CA Pinot, very well made.

2016 Rondas Reserve Humboldt Chardonnay

Community Tasting Note

DEUX CHEVAUX LIKES THIS WINE:

Sunday, January 5, 2020 - This is rather dramatic — a cornucopia of simultaneously rich and savory / mineral yellow fruit, with lovely balance and fine acidity. Overall somewhat reminiscent of Rhys Bearwallow — at less than half the price. Super over three nights.

2018 Briceland Vineyards Arneis Spirit Canyon Vineyard

Sadly, this wine has 0 CT notes. It is however one of our best wines. It earned Double Gold/94 Pts in the Orange County Fair. I Find hints of pear skin and almond extract with medium acid and a very slight bit of residual CO2, as is traditional in the Piemonte. If I look in my recycling, this is highly rated.

2017 Humboldt Appellation Pinot

Community Tasting Note

CMN WROTE:

91 Points

Saturday, December 14, 2019 - Light on its feet and dangerously drinkable. Red fruits encase a molten core of dark red fruit, shading to black and spice. A green herbal streak adds savoriness and complexity. The acidity is on point and the tannins already well integrated. A great appellation wine that kicks QPR in the face, then makes love to it and finally buys it dinner. I don’t know exactly what that all means, other than the fact that it’s delicious and a stupid good value. 13.4% abv.

2016 Briceland Vineyards Alderpoint Vineyard Humboldt County Pinot Noir This is a Prince of Pinot Review

12.3% alc., 162 cases, $35. Vineyard planted in 1991 in consultation with Briceland’s founding winemaker Joe Collins. · Moderately light garnet color in the glass. Earthy aromas of blackest cherry and blackberry fruits. Engaging mid weight flavors of black cherry and purple berry with a touch of baking spice. The soothing texture results from felty tannins. Some of the fruit fragrance returns to haunt the appealing finish. Score: 92. Reviewed January 17, 2019

http://www.princeofpinot.com/tastingnote/12269/

Briceland Vineyards has been producing distinctive small batch wine in Southern Humboldt County since 1985. Joe Collins, my step-father, along with my mother Maggie Carey, began researching the viability of planting grapes in our area with a small experimental vineyard and weather data collection in the late 70’s. Joe is widely credited with establishing commercial wine-growing in our area.

Maggie & Joe built the winery up slowly over 20+ years, gradually increasing production as demand grew and more local vineyards came online. About 80% of our production is from Humboldt County grapes, most of which are farmed organically in tiny hillside vineyards. The remaining 20% comes from nearby Mendocino County. We take pride in supporting our local community and our community has supported us as well – over 90% of our wine sells within 75 miles of the winery without the aid of brokers or distributors.

Briceland Vineyards has long been a proponent of organic farming. Most of the grapes used to make the wines offered above have been farmed organically. Some of the vineyards that we work with are so small that they no longer maintain the certification, but they continue to farm organically. If you’d like details on this, let me know.

In 2011, I (Andrew Morris) took over the winemaking responsibilities after completing my apprenticeship with my step father, Joe Collins. The winery already had a stellar reputation locally and among a few, in the know Mendocino folks when I stepped up. I promised myself not to change things unless I was sure the new way was better. If the wine is good, credit goes to the Joe for teaching me well and to the vineyard managers for good farming farming and to the sites themselves. If not, that on me.
__
Our wines have been well received by Berserkers. A recent thread can be seen here: TN: 2012 Briceland Vineyards Petit Verdot Ishi Pishi Ranch - a deliciously quirky wine - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

You can see our Cellar Tracker Reviews here:

I haven’t sent our wines to many reviewers because we tend to keep supply and demand in balance as it stands. Another good place to read reviews in on our reviews is on PrinceofPinot.com. All our wines that the Prince has reviewed can be found here: Link information for Briceland Vineyards | The PinotFile

A few years ago, Isaac James Baker visited and wrote a post on award winning wine blog, terroirist.com. His article is here: https://www.terroirist.com/2016/11/wine-in-the-wilderness-exploring-humboldts-lost-coast/

Andrew I am in for the Preview Day Only offer
5 Humboldt Pinots and a Petit Verdot: • $188

Pinot/Syrah mixed order in.

I can’t recommend these wines highly enough. California fruit. Balanced. Elegant. Just a pleasure to drink.

And real good people! A winery that I’m very happy to support.

I went with the preview day deal, can’t wait to try!

Thanks for your comments and continued support. It means a lot.

Andrew, Im in for a Preview day offer. I’ll grab a #1 as well and I would like to try some sparklers. Looks like I might have to wait til tomorrow to order the last two?.. JLMK and Ill order the others when they become available.

Everybody, Andrew’s Pinot Noirs are the bomb. I haven’t tried anything else from him, but have a lot of confidence…

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your past support and continued interest in our wines. Also for your order and commenting here.

You can order anything now. It is just that the top offer is only available to the Grand Cru members as a thanks for supporting the cause.

Talk soon!

Can’t beat the Ishi Pishi Ranch wines! Loved what I got last year and reordered this year.

For anyone on the fence, my recommendation is to buy. I’ve bought and opened enough through the years that some in my tasting group now know to include Humboldt County in their guesses when we taste blind. For another data point, I recently opened a 2012 Noir d’Orleans at a blind tasting of top flight Cabernet based wines and guesses on the Briceland included Figeac.

The Ronda’s pinots and pretty much anything from Ishi Pishi have been particular standouts, and if you like Beaujolais and Loire reds and don’t think you like zin, give Briceland’s a try.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for pitching in.

Is that Figeac stuff any good? [snort.gif] I’d hope so at 10x my price…

If I recall, a few years back, you put one of our Reserve Pinots in a flight of Burgs and it finished top 3 or something where it was the cheapest wine in the flight by a factor 3 at least.

That’s funny that your group is on to you in terms of Briceland ringers.

1. Briceland wines hold their own vs. top flight wines. Fantastic QPR!

Thanks for your continued support and kind words, S Karnik.

In for the Preview day offer. My second BD, and my second Briceland order!

Thanks Mike!

I am glad you were pleased with last year’s purchase.

I’ll be in touch!

Enjoyed in the past - in again this year.

I love the Briceland wines and bought 60 bottles this morning to split amongst my dad, uncle and two cousins. Andrew thanks for continuing to make great wine.

Andrew’s wines are superb. I look forward to replenishing my stock of Briceland every January! If you’re on the fence, please consider jumping in - you won’t be disappointed. My faves are the IP syrahs and zins - but all of his wines are delicious and have off the chart QPR’s in my book. These were my first BD purchase a few years back and I’m not sure I can imagine my wine life without them. Thanks, Andrew!

In for offer #2 - can’t wait to try these [cheers.gif]

Hi Dave.

Thanks for giving us a shot!

Email me your contact details when you have a sec.

Andrew@bricelandvineyards.com

Thanks!

I did - you didn’t get it?