Santa Rosa area - July 21?

Announcements and planning of events, including in-person (when possible!) and virtual/video/online events
D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Santa Rosa area - July 21?

#1 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

I’ll be heading out just a bit early before a business meeting in Oakland and making my first trip to Sonoma - I can’t wait!

Since it’s a business trip it’s just me and I’m looking for interested locals for a dinner/offline on Wednesday night July 21. Rosso Pizzeria & Wine Bar has been suggested as laid back and corkage friendly, but we can pick a place north of SR, in town, or south of SR, based on who’s attending and what works for them. I’ll pick lodging for the night after we pick a place!

Also, if anyone isn’t working that afternoon and wants to join me for a visit up at Calluna, let me know and I’ll see if David can make room for more. I’m sure if he’s taking the time for a tour and tasting he’d rather have more than one guest.

I’m really looking forward to my trip and hope to meet some of you while I’m there!

Cheers,

Dave
Last edited by D@ve D y r 0 f f on June 17th, 2021, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Santa Rosa area - July 21?

#2 Post by Brian Tuite »

I’m in!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Richard Foxall

#3 Post by Richard Foxall »

Let me check my schedule. Taking off that week from work, but staying in the area.
"We don't have a drinking problem, we have a buying problem." -R. Pavlovich

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

If Petaluma's not too far south for Brian, "legendary" Fried Chicken Wednesday with free corkage certainly calls out to me. Maybe we could even rope Tom into joining us since it sounds like he's wanting to try it? If it's too far, though, that's OK too. I don't know anything about the place beyond what Tom just posted in the "visiting Sonoma" thread:

viewtopic.php?p=3282283#p3282283

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by Brian Tuite »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: June 17th, 2021, 3:44 pm If Petaluma's not too far south for Brian, "legendary" Fried Chicken Wednesday with free corkage certainly calls out to me. Maybe we could even rope Tom into joining us since it sounds like he's wanting to try it? If it's too far, though, that's OK too. I don't know anything about the place beyond what Tom just posted in the "visiting Sonoma" thread:

Dude, it’s your offline. I’ll follow whatever direction you take.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Brian Tuite wrote: June 17th, 2021, 4:56 pm
D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: June 17th, 2021, 3:44 pm If Petaluma's not too far south for Brian, "legendary" Fried Chicken Wednesday with free corkage certainly calls out to me. Maybe we could even rope Tom into joining us since it sounds like he's wanting to try it? If it's too far, though, that's OK too. I don't know anything about the place beyond what Tom just posted in the "visiting Sonoma" thread:

Dude, it’s your offline. I’ll follow whatever direction you take.
[berserker.gif] [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#7 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

I'm advised that Street Social is way too small for an offline, so let's go back to penciling in Rosso Pizzeria while we wait to see if we have any others Berserk enough to join in.

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Ben M a n d l e r »

Sounds awesome but I will sadly be working evenings for most of July. Have a great one!
ITB - I work in a wine lab.

Hank Victor

#9 Post by Hank Victor »

Damn I’ll be there the 23rd...
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..
v1cT0r bR1m0

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#10 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Bumping this as it is coming up this week.

1. Richard and Brian, are you both still in?
2. Anyone else have a last-minute desire to join us? After 24 hours without WB, maybe you need a bit of an extra fix on Wednesday night?
3. Rosso still sounds great to me - is this a reservations kind of place? What time works for you?
4. Any thoughts on what you want to bring to drink? Generally speaking, I dislike sauvignon blanc and huge-scaled/oaky reds (big zins excepted), and I'm pretty lukewarm to domestic pinot, and I like or love pretty much everything else. I have a wide variety of stuff I could bring, I'll post a list of some possibilities in a little while.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#11 Post by Brian Tuite »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: July 17th, 2021, 2:16 pm Bumping this as it is coming up this week.

1. Richard and Brian, are you both still in?
2. Anyone else have a last-minute desire to join us? After 24 hours without WB, maybe you need a bit of an extra fix on Wednesday night?
3. Rosso still sounds great to me - is this a reservations kind of place? What time works for you?
4. Any thoughts on what you want to bring to drink? Generally speaking, I dislike sauvignon blanc and huge-scaled/oaky reds (big zins excepted), and I'm pretty lukewarm to domestic pinot, and I like or love pretty much everything else. I have a wide variety of stuff I could bring, I'll post a list of some possibilities in a little while.
Did I hear you say Syrah? I have a bunch.
Maybe some with a bit of age? I have an ‘09 Halcon Alturas and an ‘08 or ‘09 Wind Gap.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Would love to try that Halcon!

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#13 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

I could bring a 2004 Paloma syrah - the last (or close to it) vintage of estate syrah before they pulled the vines out and switched to the “Palomita” with purchased fruit, or a 2011 Lagier-Meredith syrah.

If we want to make it a syrah kind of night, that is.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#14 Post by Brian Tuite »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: July 17th, 2021, 3:35 pm I could bring a 2004 Paloma syrah - the last (or close to it) vintage of estate syrah before they pulled the vines out and switched to the “Palomita” with purchased fruit, or a 2011 Lagier-Meredith syrah.

If we want to make it a syrah kind of night, that is.
I have an ‘09 of that as well. Before I get out of hand I should see how many of us there will be.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#15 Post by Brian Tuite »

As for your other questions, no, you won’t need reservations at Rosso’s. At least not for just two or three people. I can be there by 5:30. You name the theme, I was just interjecting.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

OK, let's call it for Rosso Pizzeria at 5:30. I will bring the 2011 Lagier Meredith. I'd love to try the Halcon you mentioned (or any older Halcon). Richard, I hope you're in as well.

* I sent Richard an e-mail via the site since he said he was off this week. If he can join us but needs to start later, I'll post here. Otherwise, see you at Rosso on Wednesday at 5:30. Have syrah, will travel!

Cheers,

Dave

Richard Foxall

#17 Post by Richard Foxall »

I cannot begin to tell you all how sorry I am that this conflicts with a post pandemic (if we really are post because this Delta thing is not great) birthday party for a family member. If you have time on Oakland end of the week, I am right here.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by Brian Tuite »

Looks like you’re stuck with me Dave.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#19 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Next time, Richard. Sorry to miss you this time around!

Brian, see you tomorrow night. [cheers.gif]

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#20 Post by Brian Tuite »

Great to meet Dave last night. Had a good meal and relaxed time a few Syrahs.
‘09 Halcon Alturas
‘09 Wind Gap Majik
‘11 Lagier Meredith
‘12 Bedrock North Coast

I’ll let Dave embellish on the wines if he wants to.
03A96DA3-B427-4298-86DB-D8738F3BBEA2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Richard Foxall

#21 Post by Richard Foxall »

I'd have been drinking and eating much better if I had been with you. Next time!

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#22 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

It was great to meet Brian, and thanks to him for coming out on a school night, and for coming heavy.

There was some debate about whether the L-M was a bit off. I did get the strongest pepper note of the four from that one, though, and that’s what I most look for in syrah.

The Halcón was the WOTN for me and the first of their wines I’ve ever tried with some age on it. Glad I took advantage of their last two BD offers!

Based on experience with more recent vintage, I expected the WG to be a bit lean and mean even for me, but it wasn’t. Really nice wine right in my sweet spot on the lean-fat curve.

And the Bedrock was still a baby! 9 years old and their basic “everyday drinker” syrah, and it still has baby fat. Crazy. Perfectly enjoyable now, though, if you favor primary fruit.

The night before was dinner with Florida Jim and Dr. J over in Sonoma. WOTN was a 2001 Damien-Serrette Cornas “Patou” (a gift to Jim from Big Dog, for those who remember Jon). 2008 Ridge Monte Bello was too oaky for Jim, but Dr J and I liked it, though it still needs time obviously. 2001 Jasmin Côte Rôtie from my cellar was quite enjoyable, but a bit outshone in this company. Then there was a domestic pinot.

What a terrific way to spend a couple of evenings before heading back to the city for work. Thanks to all! [cheers.gif]

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#23 Post by Brian Tuite »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 9:00 am It was great to meet Brian, and thanks to him for coming out on a school night, and for coming heavy.
I know I’ve packed on a few lbs during the pandemic but… [wink.gif]

Fun night, thanks for looking me up!

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#24 Post by Brian Tuite »

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 9:00 am [cheers.gif]
How was your visit to Bedrock? I was in town and almost crashed it.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

D@ve D y r 0 f f
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#25 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f »

Bedrock was very nice. Only three of us were there at the time, and the couple at the other table was Mac Myers of McPrice Myers in Paso and his wife, so we spent a lot of time geeking out on Rhône stuff together between pours. We got a few “off the main menu” bonus tastes, too. 2014 Monte Rosso was probably my wine of the tasting.

There was plenty of room for you if you’d had time to stop in!

Return to “Event Planner - Online or Offline”