BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 #berserkerfest

Announcements and planning of Offline events
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 #berserkerfest

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 14th, 2014, 11:26 am

BerserkerFest 8.0, in Santa Barbara, November 21-23 weekend.

We're good to go, folks, and look forward to a big, raucous (but responsible) party!!!

COST: $75.00 per person in advance, $90.00 per person at the door - includes facility rental, insurance (yeah, required for this gang), appetizers, desserts, scavenger hunt goodies, meat and veggies for the grill, serving and dining ware, stemware, and cleaning fee for the facility. Please send payment via check (made out to Wine Berserkers, LLC) to 2107 Colina Del Arco Iris, San Clemente CA 92673, or via paypal (though you'll need to cover the fee, adding that to the total) to todd at wineberserkers.com I'll mark all those PAID in this thread, so we'll have confirmation of those who will be allowed in.

Schedule:

FOR FRIDAY:

Group dinner, in the planning stages - BYO, no corkage, etc. (specific restaurants, sizes, themes below)

Hitching Post 7:30 pm - one group of 16 The wine theme will be, "wines that make you sexy, strong and smart." FULL

Peter Cargasacchi
Marshall and Diana Gelb
Brian Bohr
Chik Wong +1
Scott and Andrea Watkins
Danny Mazza
Kara Van Corbach
Kevin Donoghue +1
Mark Hubbard +1
Bob Summers
Sal and Nancy Dolce

Group Dinner 2 - at Jim Salvito's house, 6:30 pm (address given via PM) CLOSED:
Mike and Dana Stoneking
Matt Mauldin +1
Jim Salvito and Perry Norton
Larry Schaffer +1
John and Helen Falcone
John Cabot and Aida Vilatoro
Nikki and Jeff Nelson (maybe)


FOR SATURDAY:
kick off bubbles brunch (scavenger hunters ONLY + Refs and Drivers + Jeff/Nik/Peter if he can make it!)
11am - 12:30pm
location: Liquid Farm Casa
some bacon, we will have eggs covered and idea to do breakfast pizzas w/ dough by Sir Carg, pizzas by ninja Kara
hunters/we all would bring some bubbles to crack and share
Nik / Kara / Jeff, etc will fully get the teams up to speed with what to expect, rules, how to win and will be assigning the teams - OR announce them perhaps at the Friday dinner and they can come up with crazy name for their team and start to “bond” about winning

SCAVENGER HUNT - 12:30pm-4:30pm
4 hours will be enough time to hit 4-5 producers if we’re strategic about how we send people where and teaming two producers at 1-2 stops
two cars

NON-HUNTERS DAY

Jonathan Grunzweig and Larry Schaffer are hosting a limited group tasting of Tercero as well as at least one of the great Happy Canyon AVA wineries doing interesting things with Bdx varietals. This will start at noon Saturday and is currently full, but there may be cancellations so let them know if you have interest:

Matt Mauldin and his wife Melissa
Jim Salvito and his wife Perry Norton
Marshall Gelb and his wife Diana
Mark Hubbard + 1
John Cabot and Aida Villatoro
Adam Grossman + 1
Possibly George Yatischin and his wife Chryss Yost


COMPED TASTINGS for BerserkerFest participants (ALL WEEKEND) from these wineries (and growing...)
Melville
Samsara
Palmina
Brewer-Clifton
Crawford Family
Falcone Family
Native 9
Alta Maria
Cargasacchi/Loring (the evil Siamese twins)
Liquid Farm
Longoria
Tercero
Dragonette Cellars
Rusack (plus 20% discount on all purchases!)

Meanwhile at Museum... (our location for the main event)
we have people getting the venue set up and ready for non-hunters/hunters to arrive between 4:30-5pm


FINALE GRILLED CHEESE WAR & WB DINNER @ SY Museum
5pm - teams arrive to the venue where non-hunters have recently or will soon arrive
5:15pm - everyone imbibes a bit while we tally the teams scores on the tasting portion of the HUNT
5:30pm - scores are announced and we announce the finale GRILLED CHEESE WAR (and rules) to determine the Champions
5:45pm - the teams will have had 15 minutes to prepare the best and most kick ass grilled cheese they can and non-hunters begin to taste each
6pm - all votes have been placed for preferred team
(should we have them cooking where they can’t be seen so that non-hunters are unbiased when they choose the winner or not?)
Post 6pm to 8pm - meats are grilled up, sides are served (TBD on this still)
Soon after 6pm if not already done, winners will be announced and CROWNED!
8pm - we present the crazy cake/dessert and toast the Crew/Hunters, etc
band or music wraps up at 9pm
Head to the Maverick Saloon for guaranteed Sunday hangover

(Other area wineries if they wanted to could also come and pour/visit and bring wine to sell / perhaps some of that happens Sat night at the museum?)

Attendees:

FINAL LIST OF PREPAID PARTICIPANTS:

Todd And Jen PAID and Scavenger Hunters
Peter Cargasacchi PAID
Nikki Nelson +1? PAID
Brig Campbell +1 Scavenger Hunters
Kara Van Corbach PAID
Scott and Andrea Watkins PAID and Scavenger Hunters
Danny Mazza PAID and Scavenger Hunter
Brian Bohr PAID and Scavenger Hunter
Mike and Dana Stoneking PAID and Scavenger Hunters
Jim and Perry Salvito PAID
Jonathan Grunzweig PAID
Chik Wong PAID
Cheryl Bonito PAID
Brian Loring +1 PAID
April Bolduc and Vince Yeh PAID and Scavenger Hunters
Bruce and Laurie Rudman - PAID and Scavenger Hunters
Kevin Donoghue +1 PAID
Matt Mauldin +1 PAID
Marshall and Diana Gelb PAID
Mark Hubbard +1 PAID
John Cabot and Aida Villatoro PAID
Larry Schaffer
Backroads Bob Summers PAID
Sal and Nancy Dolcemascolo PAID
John and Helen Falcone PAID
Adam Grossman +1 PAID
Rob Winn and Francine Haight PAID

42 TOTAL HAVE PREPAID, others, below, and walk-ins, will pay the $90 'at the door pricing'

Gene Keenan +1
Alan and Sandra Silvestri
Ki and Val Punwar
Gregg Greenbaum +1?
Jeb Singleton
Carlton McCrindle
Jay Hack
Rick T.
Adam and Lea G
Ted and JoAnn Erfer
George Chadwick +1
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Peter Cargasacchi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1152
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: Sta. Rita Hills.

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#2 Post by Peter Cargasacchi » July 14th, 2014, 1:36 pm

It depends where people want to stay as the base. Lompoc, Buellton, or Solvang? What do people want to do?

Do people want to just taste wine? Or explore the area?

I'm sure we could arrange several vineyard tours and walks? It depends on how many participants want to join? We could even break it up?

There's some great ridgeline hikes that are fun and typically rhe weather is dry and cool at that time?

We could even do a bike ride module, there are some awesome bike routes, for both road bikes and mountain bikes.

One idea, depending on how many Berserkers would be interested? I've had dozens of people ask me how to make pizza dough and bread. I'd be happy to host a group of people to hands on, make dough then learn to fire flatbreads? Both in a wood oven and using a pizza stone in a regular oven, since not to many people have wood ovens in their backyard?

It all depends on what people want to do.
PeterCargasacchi
Cargasacchi.com

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#3 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 14th, 2014, 1:37 pm

A night of flatbread making would be fun, a BYO event. I remember your vineyard walk last time, and Leo was in rare form
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#4 Post by J. Singleton » July 14th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:A night of flatbread making would be fun, a BYO event. I remember your vineyard walk last time, and Leo was in rare form
I'll be there, sounds good. [stirthepothal.gif]
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#5 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 14th, 2014, 2:03 pm

J. Singleton wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:A night of flatbread making would be fun, a BYO event. I remember your vineyard walk last time, and Leo was in rare form
I'll be there, sounds good. [stirthepothal.gif]
Woot!!!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#6 Post by J. Singleton » July 14th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
J. Singleton wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:A night of flatbread making would be fun, a BYO event. I remember your vineyard walk last time, and Leo was in rare form
I'll be there, sounds good. [stirthepothal.gif]
Woot!!!
Just joking. But actually maybe it's a possibility since I'll already be halfway across the country. Perhaps I just need a little incentive. champagne.gif
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#7 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 14th, 2014, 2:15 pm

J. Singleton wrote: Just joking. But actually maybe it's a possibility since I'll already be halfway across the country. Perhaps I just need a little incentive. champagne.gif
You need more incentive than hanging with Berserkers in sunny Southern California?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15441
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#8 Post by brigcampbell » July 14th, 2014, 2:30 pm

I'm definitely interested. I'd be into a hike and mountain biking.

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#9 Post by c fu » July 14th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
J. Singleton wrote: Just joking. But actually maybe it's a possibility since I'll already be halfway across the country. Perhaps I just need a little incentive. champagne.gif
You need more incentive than hanging with Berserkers in sunny Southern California?
Except the central coast probably won't be that sunny in november. ;)
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#10 Post by J. Singleton » July 14th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:You need more incentive than hanging with Berserkers in sunny Southern California?
Sure. Women who aren't middle-aged men running around with purple mouths would be a great start.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#11 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 14th, 2014, 2:58 pm

J. Singleton wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:You need more incentive than hanging with Berserkers in sunny Southern California?
Sure. Women who aren't middle-aged men running around with purple mouths would be a great start.
Pussy
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#12 Post by J. Singleton » July 14th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
J. Singleton wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:You need more incentive than hanging with Berserkers in sunny Southern California?
Sure. Women who aren't middle-aged men running around with purple mouths would be a great start.
Pussy
In so few words, yes. Is that not what I said? [thumbs-up.gif] Figured the neener face was too much.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

User avatar
Peter Cargasacchi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1152
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: Sta. Rita Hills.

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#13 Post by Peter Cargasacchi » July 14th, 2014, 5:33 pm

If people are interested in learning to make pizza we can do the process start to finish? I'll make some dough ahead of time with some different protein flours so people can see the effect on crispness, and how resting dough lets the gluten and starches align. But you can make reasonably good crust without extended rest or without the second rest if you manage the yeast right.

(The last time, we found Leo in a ditch the next morning, hands bound behind his back with duct tape. All he had on was a tie and underwear, that was inside out.)
PeterCargasacchi
Cargasacchi.com

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#14 Post by c fu » July 14th, 2014, 5:48 pm

a serious post, I'm only speaking for myself, but the 21-23rd of November is not a great time. Thanksgiving is the week after so I'm not sure how able most people are to take that Friday on the 21st off, let alone travel the weekend for Thanksgiving.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
NikkiWineNerdNelson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 271
Joined: February 8th, 2013, 1:23 pm
Location: Santa Ynez

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#15 Post by NikkiWineNerdNelson » July 14th, 2014, 6:09 pm

Loving this! We are of course (LIQUID FARM nerds) IN :)

There is an idea I have had for awhile that I would put out there for those who dare and with a competitive streak ;)
I a few years ago helped arrange and plan a Scavenger Hunt w/ Beauregard Vineyards (small producer in Santa Cruz Mountains making wine and tasting room in the Redwoods in the old bonny doon space and Ryan Beauregard and family are a hell of a party any way you slice it). We invited mostly Somms and trade at this one. There were 3 legs to the competition - 1.) the HUNT (think the show "Amazing Race" meets vineyards) where each team was led from place to place and task to task with the next clue. DD's drove vans carrying the competitors so there MAY have been some road soda's happening ;)
2nd leg was an MS level Exam on the SC Mtns area that had to be 100% correct before each team could move to the 3rd leg - blind tasting. each team had to have 3 out of the 5 deductions involving varietal/s, region, vintages, producer, etc before completing that leg successfully. The first team to get through all legs first were crowned the victorious winners!

We had a pig roast happening and "spectators", etc - was a BLAST.

I think that we could SURELY rally QUITE the hunt with a grouping of 3-4 teams and tear up the Valley - this way you are traveling and learning but also hustling to be crowned VICTORS - we could I am sure encourage the producers participating to donate a mag or a few bottles of their wines to create a little lot for the winners to split amongst themselves.

This would take some volunteers for the competition time only w/ vans, etc and drivers but that can be worked out. I am sure between Peter's sense of humor and my clue writing skills that we would come up with a pretty unforgettable experience ;)

Sat day time would be the most ideal to do it and I think the hunt could end at Peters for pizza making/cooking and carnage and perhaps Friday night we could host a more "tame" farm to table family style dinner here for a reasonable per head price or even at our friends place who are making wine/have a vineyard next door to Mosby Winery - they have a stellar outdoor cooking area which would make hosting a large group quite easy pending weather allowed outdoor dining but typically I always feel like pre Thanksgiving the weather is pretty solid.

Just some initial ideas :)
chief of liquid / wine nerd

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#16 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 14th, 2014, 6:14 pm

That sounds perfect!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#17 Post by J. Singleton » July 14th, 2014, 6:32 pm

If I can figure out the logistics and it's not outrageously expensive, I'm in.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 407
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 9:25 am

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#18 Post by Carlton McCrindle » July 14th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Interested! My response is the same as J.'s above.

User avatar
NikkiWineNerdNelson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 271
Joined: February 8th, 2013, 1:23 pm
Location: Santa Ynez

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#19 Post by NikkiWineNerdNelson » July 14th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Jeb - you are SO going to make it work and Carlton we would love to have you! I will get with Peter on the hunt concept and further ideas.

a few mentions about being tough with Thanksgiving the next week - do we think it will work for enough folks to keep it that date or do we need to think about pushing back or bumping up the date.

Harvest is going to insanely early this year so most of us will be less crazy earlier than usual and a late Sept time frame which would otherwise be out of the question could possibly work - Oct would also be a great month to look at if needed but we are down with the Nov date. Weather could be a little nicer in Oct but we may have an odd Fall/Winter and ideally for the land rain filled season so hard to tell?
chief of liquid / wine nerd

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#20 Post by J. Singleton » July 14th, 2014, 7:05 pm

NikkiWineNerdNelson wrote:Jeb - you are SO going to make it work
Plan one flying me out on Liquid Farm One?
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13699
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#21 Post by J a y H a c k » July 14th, 2014, 7:06 pm

I have to be in Chicago on Thanksgiving. If Dan Hammer can show me how to do NY to LA to Chicago to NY for not a lot of extra money, I might give it a try.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#22 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 14th, 2014, 7:10 pm

NikkiWineNerdNelson wrote:Jeb - you are SO going to make it work and Carlton we would love to have you! I will get with Peter on the hunt concept and further ideas.

a few mentions about being tough with Thanksgiving the next week - do we think it will work for enough folks to keep it that date or do we need to think about pushing back or bumping up the date.

Harvest is going to insanely early this year so most of us will be less crazy earlier than usual and a late Sept time frame which would otherwise be out of the question could possibly work - Oct would also be a great month to look at if needed but we are down with the Nov date. Weather could be a little nicer in Oct but we may have an odd Fall/Winter and ideally for the land rain filled season so hard to tell?
I'll admit to selfish decisions regarding date - that's about the only weekend I could make it. Of course if far more can do it in October, we should still hold it - I just won't be able to go, most likely. If many can't make it because it is the weekend before Thanksgiving, let's move it and have more show.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#23 Post by J. Singleton » July 14th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Can't have it without the fearless leader.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#24 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 14th, 2014, 7:45 pm

J. Singleton wrote:Can't have it without the fearless leader.
There have been a couple I haven't been to, but not many! I'd sure like to make this one.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5757
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#25 Post by Dan Hammer » July 14th, 2014, 8:15 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:I have to be in Chicago on Thanksgiving. If Dan Hammer can show me how to do NY to LA to Chicago to NY for not a lot of extra money, I might give it a try.
Challenge accepted.

Send me the following:

If purchasing a ticket, your airline of preference.
If using miles, and you'll need lots of them to fly erev Thanksgiving, send me your airline preference.

Instead of a stamped self addressed envelope, send fruit juice to:

General Delivery
White Plains 10605
This space for rent.

User avatar
Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1317
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 3:32 pm
Location: Goleta, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#26 Post by Matt Mauldin » July 14th, 2014, 9:25 pm

I'd try to make it if my kids and work schedule permits...
ITB

User avatar
Kara VanCorbach
Posts: 456
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Central Coast, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#27 Post by Kara VanCorbach » July 14th, 2014, 10:11 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
J. Singleton wrote: Just joking. But actually maybe it's a possibility since I'll already be halfway across the country. Perhaps I just need a little incentive. champagne.gif
You need more incentive than hanging with Berserkers in sunny Southern California?
Except the central coast probably won't be that sunny in november. ;)
November is the perfect time to be on the central coast! The vineyards are a golden hue and the weather is lovely. Especially on the coast.

User avatar
Kara VanCorbach
Posts: 456
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Central Coast, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#28 Post by Kara VanCorbach » July 14th, 2014, 10:14 pm

NikkiWineNerdNelson wrote:Loving this! We are of course (LIQUID FARM nerds) IN :)

There is an idea I have had for awhile that I would put out there for those who dare and with a competitive streak ;)
I a few years ago helped arrange and plan a Scavenger Hunt w/ Beauregard Vineyards (small producer in Santa Cruz Mountains making wine and tasting room in the Redwoods in the old bonny doon space and Ryan Beauregard and family are a hell of a party any way you slice it). We invited mostly Somms and trade at this one. There were 3 legs to the competition - 1.) the HUNT (think the show "Amazing Race" meets vineyards) where each team was led from place to place and task to task with the next clue. DD's drove vans carrying the competitors so there MAY have been some road soda's happening ;)
2nd leg was an MS level Exam on the SC Mtns area that had to be 100% correct before each team could move to the 3rd leg - blind tasting. each team had to have 3 out of the 5 deductions involving varietal/s, region, vintages, producer, etc before completing that leg successfully. The first team to get through all legs first were crowned the victorious winners!

We had a pig roast happening and "spectators", etc - was a BLAST.

I think that we could SURELY rally QUITE the hunt with a grouping of 3-4 teams and tear up the Valley - this way you are traveling and learning but also hustling to be crowned VICTORS - we could I am sure encourage the producers participating to donate a mag or a few bottles of their wines to create a little lot for the winners to split amongst themselves.

This would take some volunteers for the competition time only w/ vans, etc and drivers but that can be worked out. I am sure between Peter's sense of humor and my clue writing skills that we would come up with a pretty unforgettable experience ;)

Sat day time would be the most ideal to do it and I think the hunt could end at Peters for pizza making/cooking and carnage and perhaps Friday night we could host a more "tame" farm to table family style dinner here for a reasonable per head price or even at our friends place who are making wine/have a vineyard next door to Mosby Winery - they have a stellar outdoor cooking area which would make hosting a large group quite easy pending weather allowed outdoor dining but typically I always feel like pre Thanksgiving the weather is pretty solid.

Just some initial ideas :)
Nikki, I'll totally help you with this gurrrl! xxoo

User avatar
Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1980
Joined: June 20th, 2011, 7:49 am
Location: Sherman Oaks

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#29 Post by Scott Watkins » July 15th, 2014, 11:25 am

Andrea and I will be in town, we can make it [cheers.gif]
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#30 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 15th, 2014, 11:27 am

Looks like there is definite interest, and this crazy scavenger hunt idea is right up my alley, and Jen will LOVE it...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
J. Singleton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Location: Dallas/Napa

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#31 Post by J. Singleton » July 15th, 2014, 11:46 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Looks like there is definite interest, and this crazy scavenger hunt idea is right up my alley, and Jeb will LOVE it...
FIFY. You and your damn typos.
Jeb
Berserker #7
CT: DC202
IG: jeb.singleton

User avatar
Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 775
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 12:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#32 Post by Peter Simpson » July 15th, 2014, 3:51 pm

The pizza we had at Carg's place on Saturday was out of this world. He has a really nifty wood burning oven (home made?), the pizza went in, and "seconds" later out came perfection!!!

He's not too shabby at BBQ either. [thumbs-up.gif]
Cheers, Peter

User avatar
Peter Cargasacchi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1152
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: Sta. Rita Hills.

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#33 Post by Peter Cargasacchi » July 15th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Peter Simpson wrote:The pizza we had at Carg's place on Saturday was out of this world. He has a really nifty wood burning oven (home made?), the pizza went in, and "seconds" later out came perfection!!!

He's not too shabby at BBQ either. [thumbs-up.gif]
Thanks Peter.

The oven comes from Italy, its not complicated to make. http://www.mugnaini.com/residential-ext ... o-gallery/

The pizza was basically Neapolitan style, I make the dough with 00 flour, water, yeast and salt; ahead to let the starches and gluten align. It's proven, simple technique from Napoli.

I can't take credit for the pizzas, fortunately Kara took over so I could grill. I don't care what they say... Kara is alright. :o
We had fresh bottle of EVOO, fresh burrata and mozzarella, etc.

The bbq was traditional ranchero/Italian/Swiss Italian farmers rub. Salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, parsley. That is the traditional rub my Nona taught me (typically wet with wine or vinegar and evoo) but you can do it as a dry rub outta the cupboard. That comes down from the Italian and Swiss Italian ranchers/farmers of the Central Coast.

My grill has a 1400 degree infrared burner. Its hotter than white coals. That's why the meat was juicy and tender. It's just searing the meat at high temperature to seal in the juices, then moving it to the indirect heat to cook. Easy, simple. (The infrared burner is how most of the high end steak houses not using hardwood/coal, grill their steaks.)

It was fun hanging out, drinking and cooking for you all. I'll save that bottle of Clos Pepe Sparkling for your return!
PeterCargasacchi
Cargasacchi.com

User avatar
Rick.T
Posts: 2868
Joined: February 19th, 2013, 9:06 pm

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#34 Post by Rick.T » July 15th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Sounds like fun; I might be able to make it in Nov.
T~@~n**d~y

User avatar
G. Greenbaum
Posts: 2341
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:45 am
Location: Up in here

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#35 Post by G. Greenbaum » July 16th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Blow out at the Carg ranch? I'm down and so is the band.
Regards,
Gregg


ITB

User avatar
rfelthoven
Posts: 1781
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 9:07 am
Location: Seattle

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#36 Post by rfelthoven » July 16th, 2014, 7:52 pm

Peter Cargasacchi wrote:
Peter Simpson wrote: My grill has a 1400 degree infrared burner. Its hotter than white coals. That's why the meat was juicy and tender. It's just searing the meat at high temperature to seal in the juices, then moving it to the indirect heat to cook. Easy, simple. (The infrared burner is how most of the high end steak houses not using hardwood/coal, grill their steaks.)
Sorry, but searing meat does not seal in the juices, according to the world's most famous food scientist. I'm not trying to pick on you, but tired if hearing this wive's tale propagated:

http://www.steakperfection.com/myths/Searing.html
Ron

User avatar
Peter Cargasacchi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1152
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: Sta. Rita Hills.

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#37 Post by Peter Cargasacchi » July 17th, 2014, 7:35 am

We've lost people before. But that's all in the past. Since we started mandatory search parties at the end of festivities, we've only had to deal with hypothermia and the rare but occasional recovery of an overly enthusiastic person falling off a cliff. (Ask T-Bone.)

Nikki's working on a great, fun, scavenger hunt concept for during the day. And in the evening we can play, "find the berserker" (before the mountain lions or frostbite do.)
PeterCargasacchi
Cargasacchi.com

User avatar
Peter Cargasacchi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1152
Joined: February 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: Sta. Rita Hills.

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#38 Post by Peter Cargasacchi » July 17th, 2014, 7:44 am

rfelthoven wrote:
Peter Cargasacchi wrote:
Peter Simpson wrote: My grill has a 1400 degree infrared burner. Its hotter than white coals. That's why the meat was juicy and tender. It's just searing the meat at high temperature to seal in the juices, then moving it to the indirect heat to cook. Easy, simple. (The infrared burner is how most of the high end steak houses not using hardwood/coal, grill their steaks.)
Sorry, but searing meat does not seal in the juices, according to the world's most famous food scientist. I'm not trying to pick on you, but tired if hearing this wive's tale propagated:

http://www.steakperfection.com/myths/Searing.html
I didn't know that. I understand the Maillard reaction, but that then, and the short cooking duration, are mainly what's going on.
PeterCargasacchi
Cargasacchi.com

User avatar
Kara VanCorbach
Posts: 456
Joined: February 10th, 2009, 10:48 am
Location: Central Coast, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#39 Post by Kara VanCorbach » July 17th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Peter Cargasacchi wrote:
Peter Simpson wrote:The pizza we had at Carg's place on Saturday was out of this world. He has a really nifty wood burning oven (home made?), the pizza went in, and "seconds" later out came perfection!!!

He's not too shabby at BBQ either. [thumbs-up.gif]
Thanks Peter.

The oven comes from Italy, its not complicated to make. http://www.mugnaini.com/residential-ext ... o-gallery/

The pizza was basically Neapolitan style, I make the dough with 00 flour, water, yeast and salt; ahead to let the starches and gluten align. It's proven, simple technique from Napoli.

I can't take credit for the pizzas, fortunately Kara took over so I could grill. I don't care what they say... Kara is alright. :o
We had fresh bottle of EVOO, fresh burrata and mozzarella, etc.

The bbq was traditional ranchero/Italian/Swiss Italian farmers rub. Salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, parsley. That is the traditional rub my Nona taught me (typically wet with wine or vinegar and evoo) but you can do it as a dry rub outta the cupboard. That comes down from the Italian and Swiss Italian ranchers/farmers of the Central Coast.

My grill has a 1400 degree infrared burner. Its hotter than white coals. That's why the meat was juicy and tender. It's just searing the meat at high temperature to seal in the juices, then moving it to the indirect heat to cook. Easy, simple. (The infrared burner is how most of the high end steak houses not using hardwood/coal, grill their steaks.)

It was fun hanging out, drinking and cooking for you all. I'll save that bottle of Clos Pepe Sparkling for your return!
Peter, next time? You need fancier ingredients. Jus' sayin.

User avatar
Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 775
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 12:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#40 Post by Peter Simpson » July 17th, 2014, 3:06 pm

rfelthoven wrote:
Peter Cargasacchi wrote: My grill has a 1400 degree infrared burner. Its hotter than white coals. That's why the meat was juicy and tender. It's just searing the meat at high temperature to seal in the juices, then moving it to the indirect heat to cook. Easy, simple. (The infrared burner is how most of the high end steak houses not using hardwood/coal, grill their steaks.)
Sorry, but searing meat does not seal in the juices, according to the world's most famous food scientist. I'm not trying to pick on you, but tired if hearing this wive's tale propagated:

http://www.steakperfection.com/myths/Searing.html
Ron, I couldn't see any actual proven science in that article, and the reference to pores is a bit of a red herring, nobody I know says that sealing meat closes the pores. It does seem intutive that a surface with a hard crunchy layer would be less pervious to juices than a surface without the layer.

I find another way to help keep in the juices is to turn the steak every two minutes.
Cheers, Peter

User avatar
Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 775
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 12:03 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#41 Post by Peter Simpson » July 17th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Kara VanCorbach wrote:Peter, next time? You need fancier ingredients. Jus' sayin.
Sorry Kara, we scoffed all Peter's ingredients during lunch at Liquid Farm. :-)

Your pizza was awesome anyway. maybe less is more? [thankyou.gif]

It's a pity we didn't have time to get into the Sambuca. [cheers.gif]
Cheers, Peter

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#42 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 18th, 2014, 8:13 am

Ok, sounds like there is definitely enough interest, and we should start putting plans together soon.

I'm moving this to Offline Planner, and maybe making it a sticky.

Of note: housing can be an issue in this area, so while we might want to look at hotels, we might also consider VRBO and renting houses, as then people can work together and have party houses if they want. Also, I'd like to see if Danny Mazza has suggestions for transportation, so we're safe, as the cops in this area are no joke with drunk drivers.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Danny M a z z a
Posts: 496
Joined: September 13th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#43 Post by Danny M a z z a » July 18th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Of note: housing can be an issue in this area, so while we might want to look at hotels, we might also consider VRBO and renting houses, as then people can work together and have party houses if they want. Also, I'd like to see if Danny Mazza has suggestions for transportation, so we're safe, as the cops in this area are no joke with drunk drivers.
Once we get idea of the events figured out I'll start coming up with some options for transport.

As far as lodging it's really going to be dependent on where people want to stay. I can speak to a friend of mine who manages a small hotel/motel in Santa Barbara about getting a group rate. But that puts people 45 minutes from the Santa Ynez and over an hour to Lompoc area.
First Place Hunter BerserkerFest 8.0

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 31876
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#44 Post by c fu » July 18th, 2014, 4:34 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Ok, sounds like there is definitely enough interest, and we should start putting plans together soon.

I'm moving this to Offline Planner, and maybe making it a sticky.

Of note: housing can be an issue in this area, so while we might want to look at hotels, we might also consider VRBO and renting houses, as then people can work together and have party houses if they want. Also, I'd like to see if Danny Mazza has suggestions for transportation, so we're safe, as the cops in this area are no joke with drunk drivers.
can't just stay at the holiday inn/motel 6 like last time?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#45 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 18th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:Ok, sounds like there is definitely enough interest, and we should start putting plans together soon.

I'm moving this to Offline Planner, and maybe making it a sticky.

Of note: housing can be an issue in this area, so while we might want to look at hotels, we might also consider VRBO and renting houses, as then people can work together and have party houses if they want. Also, I'd like to see if Danny Mazza has suggestions for transportation, so we're safe, as the cops in this area are no joke with drunk drivers.
can't just stay at the holiday inn/motel 6 like last time?
Sure can, if it's nearby...
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15441
Joined: April 7th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#46 Post by brigcampbell » July 18th, 2014, 5:30 pm

I'm in for this place. 4 couples and a few stragglers. 6 bedrooms and a barn on 5 acres at $1400 per night. Has a volleyball court. Berserkerfest HQ
http://www.vrbo.com/312315
Attachments
image.jpg

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 (feeling it out - POLL)

#47 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 21st, 2014, 9:52 am

Moving to Offline Planner, so we can start planning the event!!! I'll change the OP to include a list of potential attendees, so let me know in this thread if you were one of the 'yes' or 'maybe' and I'll update accordingly.

Has anyone priced out the local hotels?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>
Posts: 39939
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 8:46 am
Location: San Clemente, CA

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 - WILL YOU BE THERE?

#48 Post by Todd F r e n c h » July 21st, 2014, 11:25 am

Nikki - I presume Saturday would be the preferred day for the big scavenger hunt, and ancillary activities, right?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

User avatar
Jay Carroll
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4339
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 11:06 am
Location: Chicago, IL

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 - WILL YOU BE THERE?

#49 Post by Jay Carroll » July 21st, 2014, 11:50 am

I would really like to try to make this event- but not sure I can. Will just be returning from another trip on the 18th....but we shall see!!
I am just a cowboy lonesome on the trail
Lord, I'm just thinking about a certain female

User avatar
Danny M a z z a
Posts: 496
Joined: September 13th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 - WILL YOU BE THERE?

#50 Post by Danny M a z z a » July 21st, 2014, 12:17 pm

I'm in! It will be nice not to have to travel!
First Place Hunter BerserkerFest 8.0

Post Reply

Return to “Offline Planner”