Mike on East Coast Tour--NYC and Long Island, Oct 16-20

I have a lot of details to work out yet, not least of which will be when I actually do go to Long Island (when I do, I will be staying overnight there). I will contact a bunch of people via emails and PMs if I can. But I wanted to try to get some long-range planning started.

For reference’s sake, I will be staying with Mikhail Lipyanskiy and his family, who have very generously offered their place in Queens. At least one of these nights will be another co-cooking affair with Mikhail, Sveta and me, so that has to get sorted out as to date and then I will try to start separate OL threads for other evenings.

It’s difficult to get my head around the fact that it’s been 3 years but I hope to use that time to have another wonderful set of visits with people while in the city. Note that on some days, I would be surely open to doing some lunches, dim sum, etc. as well.

All best and hope to get lots of time with my NY 'philes.

Mike

I’m usually busy with work in October; but under the circumstances… [whistle.gif]

Looking forward to seeing you again Mike.

I’ll try to manage it. Just don’t put any bizarre restrictions on the wine like one of your recent visits :slight_smile:.

I am interested if time and place work out.

Tagging as I might be in for work altho not nearly confirmed.

obviously i will be around :slight_smile:

Chuckle–understood! Is Soul Flavours still around? Haven’t been there in ages…

Unfortunately, Soul Flavors closed several years ago.

That was such a great place. I still miss it.

If you’re willing to come out to JC again I can offer up either our local Grand Sichuan (which currently has a very good chef after a longish period in the wilderness) which is about 1 minute from the PATH or Dolma - an excellent Turkish place which is about an 8 minute walk from the PATH (lamb chops in particular are a very good red wine match). Or I can join in on whatever someone else organizes in Manhattan.

Miss it, too.

Was that the place on Grove St.?

Chuckle–understood! Is Soul Flavours still around? Haven’t been there in ages…[/quote]

Unfortunately, Soul Flavors closed several years ago.[/quote]

Was that the place on Grove St.?[/quote]

Yes.

Gil,
Do you know if they just moved to another location?

It was several years ago. They closed the restaurant and said they would be available for catering. I never heard about them opening another restaurant.

Depending on date, I’d be interested. Jersey City would be great, or Manhattan.

I will be at the Jets/Patsies game on the 15th. Tailgate will be limited because my nephew is marrying a Pats fan the night before and we will be out late. Probably just steal some foo from the post-wedding brunch, BUT anyone who wants to join us and share some good wine is welcome.

How about lunch at Sripraphai in Queens?

Diane - not to say anything about Sri… but if you guys are already making it to queens - i would rather host it at my place - more time, no rush…and i hope no one goes hungry either :slight_smile:

No, they lost a lot of money due to Sandy and had to close. They weren’t helped by our idiot former mayor declaring a curfew after the storm which meant they lost over a week of business in addition to the appliances and food.

Depending on date(s) and location I would be interested if there is ample room.

Thanks