UPDATE Philadelphia sat dec 22nd, (amazing food at) La Mula Terca together with 2000 Bordeaux, left bank

Hi all. Update…the restaurant is La Mula Terca (the start time is 7 pm), my favorite secret Philly under the radar byob restaurant. Laban gave it two bells last year, and I have dined there a few weeks ago, and it’s still spot on. I will supply wine glasses and all wine (and I really don’t mind supplying all the wine so that we can keep to the theme). See below for what I posted many weeks ago. Please PM or call my cell phone if you want to join us as they can accomodate up to 12 of us.

Calling out all BordOphiles or those wanting to learn about Bordeaux!!! As I noted in a post a while back, I have a lot of various 2000’s and believe the best way to enjoy/appraise/evaluate the vintage is in a tasting of 6 to 10 different wines. I don’t need anyone to contribute ANY wine, as the purpose is to evaluate this vintage. The only wines that we should have are 2000 red Bordeaux except for 1 or at most 2 starter whites. This will be held in two parts, as one will be right bank and another will be left bank WITH THE LEFT BANK TASTING TAKING PLACE ON SATURDAY DECEMBER 22ND IN DOWNTOWN PHILLY. The venue will be a lower cost venue, or a home in Philly, as I want the focus to be on the wine.

So, let me know what you all think through postings or PMs. I am trying to figure out potential dates and will post when it is determined.

Below is a partial list of what I have, but if some of you all bring a 2000 Bordeaux, what will be poured could vary from the below list
Left Bank
Haut Bages Liberal - Pauillac
Lagrange - Saint Julien
Cambon La Pelouse - Haut Medoc
Cantemerle - Haut Medoc
D’Armailhac - Pauillac
Brainaire - Saint Julien
Sociando Mallet - Haut Medoc
Pontet Canet - Paulliac
Haut Bergey _ Pessac
Larrivat Haut Brion - Pessac
La Tour Carnet - Haut Medoc

Assuming date works, would love to join! Would be a great comparison.

Eric, we will do it single blind. Breaking it into two flights. Reveals prior to the second flight during the discussion phase of the first flight. I already did a post of what all I have, so I will repost it here when I get a chance to do another look to see what I am missing, as I think I did not list all of my right bank 2000’s. That way, if anyone has something to contribute, they can see what’s open…and there will be plenty open.

Interested for me and Allison assuming date works - thank you!

I would be interested — of course depends on when and where!!

Sounds good. I will likely be able to come down again. Hopefully it’s after the 10th of the month as I celebrate Hannukkah with my family.

Would love to join with my wife as well.

I’m pretty light on 2000 (I’ve got some, though). Would be interested if timing works. I’m out of town week of Thanksgiving and week of Christmas.

I am interested depending on the date. My son lives in Allentown. This would be a good excuse to visit him.

I’m interested. Depends on date. Weekends are better, although the Philly crowd may want a Monday.

Hey all. The dates will likely end up being a Friday or Saturday because of my availability. I am contemplating right bank in November, and left bank in December. For the December date I am waiting to find out when California Berserker and my best bud “Wade H” will be in town for Christmas. I spoke to him today and hope that he will fly out on a date to allow us to left bank it on Saturday December 22nd, but we can’t pen that date in until he gets the tickets. (That might work well for you Kevin if you will be in A-town during the holidays to visit your son.) I will try to get a date for the right bank as soon as I can figure out how my schedule, so that anyone traveling has time to find a place to stay. As these will be a “tasting” of the 2000 Bordeaux, I am thinking 10 to 12 people will be the maximum as that would give at least a 2 oz pour of each Bordeaux.

The venue will be somewhere within 2 miles of center city, most likely in south Philly. The meal/food cost should be $50 or less, cash, so that the proprietor doesn’t lose a percentage to the banks.

Right bank list of what I can find in my cellar so far. Left bank list in the the first post.
Fombrauge, SE
Nenin, Pomerol
Rouget, Pomerol
La Dominique, SE
Barde Haut, SE
Clos l’Eglise cotes de Castillon
D’ Aiguilhe cote de Castillon
Grand Pontet, SE

I’m definitely interested. Unfortunately I just drank my only bottle of 2000 Cos D’Estournel but would be happy to bring something else. Look forward to hearing date/time/location and am generally free during the time period you mentioned.

Saturday December 22, 2018 is the pencil in date for the first of the two tastings, which will be the left bank held at a yet to be determined location in Philly sometime around 7 pm, cash only for the food, tax and tip. Please chime in to reserve spots, and I’ll create a wait list if needed; currently we are at a count of 3. (I have a lot on my plate through early December, so we will do the right bank in Philly most likely in January.) No one needs to supply any 2000’s, but if you have a 2000 left bank that’s been properly cellared, please feel free to volunteer the vino. To keep the focus on the 2000 vintage, at most we could start with a french sparkler and perhaps a German riesling, so please don’t bring other wines that will draw our concentration away from experiencing the 2000 left bank.

It’s official. Pen it in as Saturday December 22nd.

count me and Allison in - thank you

I just updated in the first post. Please PM or call or text my cell at 302-seven five zero, two two 64 if you want to join us, even if it’s last moment as the restaurant can accomodate us. Prices are laughingly reasonable at LMT (La Mula Terca), and please bring cash. Last thing to note, it’s Mexican, yes, but the chorizo apps and beef match incredibly well with Bordeaux, based upon my many times dining at Cafe and Con Chocolate and LMT which have the same ownership and are right across the street from one another.

Thanks for the post. I’ll be out of town. Hopefully we can plan something for first quarter of 2019.

updated in the first post.

Allison and I are still good to go - been looking forward to this for a while - see you on Saturday

Unfortunately. Not able to join on Saturday… enjoy, and try to report back on any standouts!