LA area: Why always so dead?

I check in here now and again hoping to find something going on in the LA area, but it seems to almost always be quiet. It shouldn’t be so tough to put something together in one of the biggest population centers in the country. I’m feeling a champagne event… or SQN… or whatever. Who is thirsty in LA?!

Put one together!

Alright, I have one other interested party! Hahah. Anyone else? You down to drink some nice bubbles, Charlie?

Hey there! I’m in Silver Lake and can travel. (Probably, on the way back, by Lyft.) I’m agnostic about champagne but could contribute something interesting from the Rhone (N. or S.), Bordeaux, or various California juice from the mainstream to the oddball.

Jeff, I’m sure you’ll get a decent group together if you put a plan forth - dozens of Berserkers in the area

Always looking for fun evenings to drink delicious wine! I’m on the west side.

BTW, the local custom is not to invite Todd.

I’m in the Silver Lake area as well

We had this non-ballers burgundy dinner a couple of years ago. that was a lot of fun

[rofl.gif]

Put one together and I’m sure folks will show up.

As for actually why: I suspect it has to do with lots of the L.A./O.C. folks having known each other for so long that gatherings simply don’t get posted. Just a guess.

And I do agree with the main point of your post, by the way. I occasionally check, out of curiosity, even though I’m almost always unable to attend. … you know, that might be another reason: people are just too busy to do the planning. [shrug.gif]

Well I’m pretty determined. I’m actually two hours north of LA but I’ve just never found the demographic here to put together decent tastings, so I make a whole journey and overnight trip out of it. The things we do to drink decent wine! I’m just not that up on what good what good new venues there might be, because I’m an out of towner.

As far as themes rattling around in my head… there are quite a few (and quite a few are champagne centric).

Krug vertical?

Krug VS some other tete de cuvees? Say something like doing 1990, 1996, 2002 from Krug and a couple of other houses, head to head each flight?

Regular release vs late disgorgement Champagnes of the same year?

Grower Champs VS big houses

Sine Qua Non?

Sine Qua Non Vs top Rhone producers?

A “why did I buy this?” tasting. I always kind of wanted to do this. We all have some oddballs in our cellar that we just don’t know why we bought, what they even are or where they came from. They get overlooked for years (or decades). Lets clear them out! There may be some strange revelations. Or maybe not. Who’s in for Plonkfest 2018? Haha

I am new to this Forum but am looking for a tasting group to join. I am in North Orange County but can travel to LA.

I’m in the Pasadena area and am in! That is, if I’m free… [rofl.gif] Don’t have much bubbly though. I’ve got Rhone’s though!

Chaos is a theme too…just sayin’.

I think this is very true. Most of us who have been around the scene for a long time have gravitated to form some circles who we hang and drink with a lot. Case in point, Charlie and I are both really into it, but have different friends so we don’t really intersect that often. I think since we do see one another so much, have become tight with certain other winos, and organize smaller things , then it just doesn’t end up being larger offlines anymore.
I have space and occasionally open up larger gatherings, but just haven’t had as much time in the past few years.

I think a lot of the newer to the scene or area people are out there. I would think that one would have more success, especially with those folks, to not do a complicated theme. Even I don’t prefer the highly focused themes.

I used to have great success many years ago on another message board which shall not be named, with putting together themed tastings. Filled them with ease. Perhaps times have changed. I’m also not sure what’s “complicated” about a tasting that centers around one wine. Bring that wine. Couldn’t be any simple. Haha

By nature, a theme is complicated right? It complicates which wine one can bring. The question is how much more complicated it is than bringing whatever one wants that is good.
But go for it, indeed people do still do themed events.

New to the forum, but I’d be down for something. I’m on the West-ish side of LA.

Pick a date, post it and we will make it happen. Bubbles and/or reds. I could always host at Woodland Hills CC again on a Friday night or we can find another restaurant on a Saturday night (Maybe Monty’s Steakhouse in Woodland Hills?).