Seattle Offline - January 18, 2020

UPDATE: January 18

Okay, we have settled on Saturday January 18th. Start time 6:00PM - Sharp if possible! Feel free to stop in a few minutes early.
Theme is ‘Loire’.

That said, no good Champagne will be turned away.
Several of you have said you have little Loire Red - so no good burgundy will be turned away [cheers.gif]
I have a reasonable assortment of reds including some decently aged Chinon and Bourgueil
(Mind you I have NO Clos Rougeard, sorry)
Other geographical wines made from Cab Franc, pinot, gamay, or Cot could make for comparisons?

Attendees: 17

Jim & Yvette (as host, not in count)
Peter - Sancerre + Moulin Touchais Coteaux du Layon
Mark + 1 - Huet Moelleux 1er Trie, a white burgundy
Ryan - 1989 Olga Raffault Les Picasses
Hal - 1989 Couly-Dutheil Clos de l’Olive, 1990 Baumard Quarts de Chaume
Scott & Sheela - 2010 Olga Raffault La Singuliere, 2014 Pepiere Clos de Briords
Terrance - Savennières
Geoff + 1 - (89/95/03) C et P Breton Les Perrières
Del - Olga Raffault, possibly some Bourgueil as well
Pierre-Yves + 1 - 1989 Luneau Papin L d’Or, 1990 Couly-Dutheil
Bryan & Lauren
Eric W

Wait List :

Dave Sun’s guest

Food:
Terrance - crab cakes
Ryan - carrots
Scott - bread and dips (hummus)
Pierre-Yves - gratin?
Geoff - lamb sandwich
Hal - cassoulet
Mark - baguette and pate
Jim - Bo Ssam w scallion ginger sauce (skipping the Kimchi, and Korean sauce parts unless people want them)
Yvette - polenta cakes w tapanade and dried tomatoes (vegan)

Original Post:

In the discussion of and during our October event, I agreed to host a January Event.
Now that it is December it’s time to start the discussion and get this firmed up.

I think our best choice of dates will be Saturday 1/11 or Saturday 1/18.
Sunday 1/12 or 1/19 is a possibility as well I suppose, but we have tended to land on Saturdays in the past.
I would also be open to Saturday 1/4, but think the first weekend following the holiday is probably unlikely.
Unfortunately the last weekend in January is out for us.

I live in the Sunset Hill area of Ballard, so on the far westside of town, not far from Ray’s, etc.

So post your preference and we will sort out the date and attendance as a starting point.
Theme feedback would be welcome too.
Some have suggested ‘Loire’ which, of course is about as specific as saying, ‘California’.
But we do not have to be too specific unless people really want to be.

I’ll be at Whistler the weekend of the 11th.
I’ve got plenty of Loire whites, only a weak selection of reds.

good with both weekend…

does Natural Wine seem like a fun theme? :wink:

Alternatively a Burgundy / Champagne - split theme is always tasty.

I am available both weekends. Absolutely love Loire whites (minus sweets), but have no reds.

Either works for me, with a slight preference to the 18th. Theme is good, although I have very little in my cellar… I may need to do some shopping!

I am available both weekends but think it would be great to have the off-line on the 18th or 19th so Peter can attend. I like the Loire theme. I’ll bring a 1990 Baumard Quarts de Chaume and another white or red bottle depending on what we need.

Cheers,

Hal

Both weekends work for me. Down with Loire idea - my fav region

Thanks for putting this together Jim! The 18th works for me, and I agree with Hal, it would be great to have Peter there.

What a fabulous idea for Loire. :smiley:

Either works for us. Loire is a fun region. Looking forward to this.

I’ll be bringing my wife again.

We can bring a three year vertical of Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Les Perrières (89/95/03). Could be fun to have even more vintages if people have them in their cellar.

I’ll be out of town both weekends. Sorry to miss.

Brian

1 Like

Sorry Brian. next time.
I have updated Post 1 with the date, theme, and attendee list.
Let me know +1 counts or names, etc.
Don’t think we need to cap attendance yet anyway.

My +1 is tentative (she literally hit tentative to my meeting invite). Will confirm as time gets closer! :slight_smile:

Thanks Jay!

I’ll bring a +1 (Sheela).

Can bring a 2010 Olga Raffault Les Singulares Cab Franc and a Mag of 2014 Pepiere Briords. May try to track down some sparkling Chenin, which can be quite nice.

Hi All, please add me if you have space.
I can bring 3 or 4 reds north and south bank,including one or two Olga R Picasses from a while ago.
I do not have any red Sancerre but If anybody has one or two they would be a great addition.
Another berserker from Queen Anne Dave Sun might join in, think he likes some Loire.
Cheers
Del

Hello everyone,
I would be interested in joining if not too late.
I have some Loire that I would be happy to share.

Thank you!
PY

You are welcome Pierre-Yves.

Attendees updated.
Some of you have identified bottles, i’ll work on listing that and talking about food after the 1st.
Have a great holiday everyone.

For anyone looking to procure Loire Cab Franc, Rain City Wine in Bothell usually has a good selection, including on occasion library releases. Ditto for Vinopolis and Sec in Portland.

Jim,

My wife would like to take part.
Looks like a large crowd is attending. Maybe this time we should really do flights.

Hiya, just catching up after being home got the holidays, Lauren and i are free as well, so count us in if there’s room!