Burt Williams Appreciation Dinner: NYC any body else ?

I seldom do single producer dinners, but Burt Williams is a legend that deserves that honor. Nobody was more influential to putting California Pinot on the map and the Russian River valley then Williams And Selyem. Sadly Burt passed on a few days ago, and there is no better way to deal with my sadness than to arrange an event to honor the man and his wines. I do have a few bottles form the early 90s and will bring one as well as one of my best Champagnes, likely an 08 Dom

If anyone wants to attend and does not have a bottle I could probably do a trade depending how many I have left, or they are not difficult or expensive to source. All I ask is that if you do source that it be a pre 1998 bottle before the change of ownership and winemaker.

Would like to limit this to 10 folks to ensure decent pours. I would like to keep this dinner under $100 per person all on as almost always at the fancy places with high corkage I feel ripped off.

I know I can wrangle up a few of my regular gang but I would hope we get a few out of town visitors as we have in the past and have a full house.

Who is interested ?

This will be after the holidays. Perhaps nobody in the city has any of the old bottles as they are now quite rare.

My four bottles are now accounted for by others in the group

If anyone else in the big Apple wishes to participate I have found a sole store in the country that has a few btls of the Old Pinots and a tiny smattering of stores that have the zin and chard which I have no idea how they age but don’t mind finding out. Hope we can gather a few more, if not will be happy to see y’all soon. Big offlines are great but at small ones you can talk to everyone. It’s all good

Very nice Jonathan. I hope it goes off beautifully with lots of celebration of the man.

Jonathon, I would join if in NY; would be happy to buy a bottle from you. Thanks for organizing.

I would like to join you.

Would like to join but would need to trade or buy from you, Jonathan.

Thanks Blake
Appreciate the kind words of support. I am confident it will be a glorious event of both sadness and joy. I am glad I think I have 4 different vintages some RRV and some single vineyard ranging from 91-95 to help out the 3 others in my gang who need a btl. Hopefully others can source somewhere locally some old bottles, if not would appreciate if you or anyone else can help. Just realized I also have a Westside Rd Neighbors bottling I can’t recall what vintage, but I think it was before ownership changed.

FYI, Westside Road Neighbors comes from the new ownership as does any wine from 98` on.

Thanks Blake. I kind of suspected as much, but I hadn’t recalled the date of the sale.

We have one wine each for the group , but will also bring the Westside to compare, and Champagne. Will grab something from latest Envoyer delivery, so will be new for all of us.

Lookin good- please do share some notes

Blake I shall.

I have enjoyed your photos and stories immensely. Thanks for sharing. I feel very sad of his passing.Though I Had met Burt just once my connection to the wines was strong. I cannot imagine your grief, as he was a close friend. If you ever are on the east coast, from NY area down to Philly, please msg me, as would enjoy popping some corks and hearing more of your stories. Wish you all the best this holiday season [cheers.gif]

Much appreciated and will do if and when- thanks and back at you for the best of the season

Remember that Burt made 2 wines under his vineyard ranch name in 2008 and 2009. The Morning Dew Ranch Jans Cuvee Anderson Valley Pinot Noir was great and his final wine; the 08, although good, had smoke taint from the nearby fires.
DC42EAF4-B45B-4613-AFD1-7AD5A9A1209F_1_201_a.jpeg

Any news about this tasting?