New Haven Pizza Crawl Pepes Sally's Modern and others Night of DiFara' s tba

Am doing an offline in New Haven as I was booted from the DiFaras gig for no reason

We will hit all the classics as well as a new place that sounds quite good across from Pepe’s on Wooster St
This event will start pretty early at night to shorten wait time.

Who is in ?

My suggestion is to rent a stretch limousine, not to ride anywhere, but to park centrally on Wooster Street.
Then, people can walk over successive carry-out pizzas from all different places, and eat in finely seated comfort, without waiting in long lines for tables or paying corkage fees.

Better yet, bring folding chairs and tables so it’s a car park pizza picnic! You just need a nearby lot that’s abandoned. Otherwise you’ll be dining out of the boot of Jonathan’s auto.

Unless a city permit, such open alcohol consumption is illegal, even in New Haven. Being inside a private, for-hire vehicle enables discretion, especially if a free pizza slice to any inquiring police officer.

Boston Globe just did a New Haven pizza crawl article (not sure if it is behind the paywall):

I read the article. I’ve had Pepe’s clam pizza with garlic and it remains one of the best I’ve had anywhere. Sorry, I don’t think mashed potatoes belong on a pizza and they seem to like pies with lots of ingredients-not my way to go.

I had a mashed potato pizza at Bar in New Haven (across the street from Louis’ Lunch, the inventors of the hamburger, which is also a must visit…although don’t try to sneak any ketchup in), and thought it was great!

We have a couple of Pepe’s in the Boston area now, which do a pretty good job. I’ve been to the original and it is an excellent pie, although not in my top 10 list. But it it is a great place to stop for lunch on the way back from Philly (particularly after the July 4th weekend, when you can avoid the lines). Sally’s is always closed, so I’ve never been there.

I appreciate everyone input but trying to get Berserkers to attend my events that my regular gang absolutely love is about as easy as winning Powerball. Going to stop posting here and instead go on Cellartracker where I do find much greater turnout.

Maybe if you showed up to your own events, things would go better, Jonathan? Just saying…

[berserker.gif]

Are you saying that after all the whinging about no shows he didn’t show up to his own? [scratch.gif]

Wow Josh pretty vicious to be so judgmental of someone you never met who graciously welcomed you into our friendly genuine group who are some of the nicest folks in a city known for its preponderance of miserable folks.

Before I say anything stupid or risk getting banned again, please let me ask you just one simple question. Did you find that anyone in our group was anything but kind gracious and passionate about sharing their best possible wine with the group. I saw the lineup helped folks make their choices arranged the planning of the event with a little help from Tom and decided upon the locale.

I hope you enjoyed the excellent {but not expensive} food, the great company, and some wonderful mostly fully mature Grand Cru Burgs. I am assuming there was no lack of good conversation, or an undersupply of wine. So I would hope that myself being absent was merely a minor distraction or a funny joke to the gang, which is fine as I certainly can take it. I have been in sales all my life and now do sales training part time. I have a thick skin, but also will not take crap from anyone as you can see from the brawl in the three ring circus that the offline curmudgeon thread evolved into.

Now that I have defended my self mildly I will provide what happened that sadly caused me to miss an event that I had been wanting to arrange for quite a while.

My Christmas season has been full of joy for future plans I have for a business that sounds quite lucraitve as well as my photogrphy business that is starting off beautifully and my pursuit of buying a gorgeous home on the river in Mt Pleasant South Carolina, and amazing place.

So that is the good, the bad is I have been having a very tough time here is Ct this year with all sorts of miserable angry drunk and often violent people around me when going about my usual routine at my regular hang out spots. The drivers around here literally were daily trying to run me off the road they were driving so agressively. This is no walk in the park but I have lived in this state all my life so i begrudingly accept it for now, but once I move down south the whole scene is different . Most folks down there are happy and friendly even to total strangers. I know I travel down south to Myrtle Beach Savannah Atlanta and Charleston alot.

In spite of a typical rough year the banning put me in a foul mood, and ruined some plans to sell a few cases of wine, and the ability to communicate with friends on the board.

Although there were plenty of reasons that I would have liked to have stayed home I DO NOT LET LIFE BRING ME DOWN. So I was planning on going anyway as I knew seeing good friends and drinking some Grand Cru Burgs would cheer me up.

However that afternoon a huge Monkey Wrench was thrown at me. I noticed while completing a car purchase on a new Honda CRV that the parking lot at the car dealer in a decent sized busy area was a sheet of ice, and this freezing rain was continuing for hours. My town would have been far worse as i live in a tiny country hick town with hilly curvy roads and about 4000 people. There are no doubt more horses cows pigs and chickens combined than people, and no doubt way more deer than humans. Considering all that there is almost no chance that I would have gotten home without either getting stuck or sliding off the road. Even for a DRC vertical free of charge would i take a serious risk to total one of my precious cars that i spend too much on.

In summation I would imagine a great time was had by all. Personally i was home alone and sad for having had mother nature ruin what I am sure was a great evening. Sorry to have missed it and let down the group, I was especially looking forward to your extremely generous wine contribution. Was looking forward to meeting. Too bad I missed some wonderful Burgs I have never tried. Oh well there will always be other events and as very few folks i know drink much burgundy I think I will have to arrange another one in 5 or 6 months. Perhaps our paths will cross in the future and if not I wish you a happy New year and the best of luck in all your endeavors !

Well as this offline post has spawned only comments about the quality or lack thereof of New Haven pizza. or my offline issue this time. I am going to very soon cancel or delete this thread and take this theme to my local Ct group of whom half will probably attend. I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING ATTENDANCE anywhere except from wineberserkers crowd lately. In spite of that I have assembled a gang of 8 pretty regular NY attendees and a gang 6 in Ct. Your mileage may vary…

Jonathan,
I don’t want to get into a big thing with you. Briefly, I never said anything negative about the other people who attended; quite the opposite, I enjoyed meeting them and drinking wine with them, as my notes on some of the wines in Wine Talk section make clear.
If you don’t think it’s odd to organize an offline, commit to bringing wine, and then not communicate to anyone you are not coming–whatever the conditions of the roads might be–well, ok, we have a difference of perspective. None of it is finally that big a deal as far as I am concerned.
Nuff said!
Josh