Offline Curmudgeoning should not be contained to only NYC!

Let the berserkering commence! There’s obviously was a lot of bottled-up (excuse the pun) animosity about New York offlining. So much so that the thread was locked and a suggestion made by your favorite Berserker Bobby that a new thread be started, so here it is! I don’t wish to confine this to merely NYC curmudgeoning as that seems a might bit exclusive. How about we find out if there’s any curmudgeoning to be done anywhere else?

Funny thing, the NYC gang might nearly have a corner on the market so this may be the shortest agony column ever posted.

To be fair, that other thread was pretty much one NYC group that seems to have some issues. There are plenty of other NYC peeps that get together all the time with little or no trouble.

I just wanna drink wine.

Come on Ian. Why bring this up again? Let’s not rehash contentious points again.

Are you joshing? Jorge, about a third of the posts here are contentious rehashing over sillier things than this like grammar and other rubbish. If a member in good standing like Jay can start a thread, so can any other bloke. There might be some pent-up issues that need to be brought to light in other sectors, so consider this the “airing of the grievances” portion of Festivus. If you don’t want to participate, feel free to skive off.

A long time ago, I posted on the Squires board with a headline on the lines of “ why I will not do any more off lines.”

It was after a particularly difficult Volnay night with a set menu and a guaranteed number of diners, and we all ended up shelling extra for the no shows. So I sympathize with Jonathan’s original position, although unfortunately, what could have been an interesting discussion ended up getting sidetracked by personal attacks and name calling. We have another chance on this thread; can we try and keep it civil with some practical ideas as to how to run an offline, share the burden, prepay for dinners etc.

Jorge is a mod. So he’s free to lock this thread at any time. So no skiving off for him.

what’s the point of this ? let it go and move on.

Back in the day I did quite a few off-lines in New York. Haven’t done any in a while since I no longer work in New York. I can say that organizing a off-line can be very challenging. As soon as you think everything is covered some issues always seem to appear, and most appear closer to the day of the event. Whether it be a food issue with the restaurant, people not able to attend, issue with the original wine theme or some other issue. Sort of like “whack a mole” . Even with all of these challenges through the years I can say it was all worth it. None of it was insurmountable. Maybe an inconvenience. But all of the people I’ve met at any of these dinners Have helped me learn and grow in my wine knowledge and I’ve gained many friendships through the years. I wouldn’t change a thing

This ^. [cheers.gif]

Would prepaying for dinner help people not back out of offlines?

The set menu thing would be frustrating if ppl had to pay more, otherwise who cares if a few ppl don’t show up?

Mark has it - here’s another chance to toss any issues onto the table and discuss them. Yes, the title was cheeky, but this is still a serious subject. Must be if it drew such ire in the other thread.

Sorry mate! Didn’t take note of his title of Berserker Bobby. Guess he can’t ignore this nor any other discourse. One question though: are you the Lieutenant or is he? [wink.gif]

And for the record, skiving off is not derogatory in nature.

I have also arranged offlines, and met many people who I am still friendly with to this day. Things happen, plans change, it goes with the territory, in the end, it is up to us as individuals to decide if we want to attend or not.

Can we all just drop this already?
Whoever keeps on instigating this subject should be banned.

I really said my peace and ignored the thread until I stumbled back in after being called out for not attending an offline I did not even remember. I have gone through all of my posts on the subject and it is very clear that all I said in one isolated post that my schedule had changed and that I might be able to attend if I could figure out a way to get back from Yupitz, Connecticut without violating DUI rules. I couldn’t, so I never signed up in the first place. But if a bunch of you whiny little children want to keep arguing about this, go right ahead. Over the last 14 years I have hosted 6 offlines at my house (maybe more, I’m getting old and forgetful), another dozen at football games, and probably 20 or 30 at various restaurants in the NYC metro area, with a couple more in foreign locations like one in Memphis, one in Naples Florida and a few other random locations. So, to paraphrase the saying, actions talk and bullshit walks. Just make sure that you at least manage to open a bottle of big red wine between January 3-10 to force me to donate money to buy clothing for poor children. Virtual Tasting Series Compendium 2019 - WB Charity ***README*** - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Personally my native pride is offended by the notion that anyone from outside the NYC metro area could possibly be as big a curmudgeon as someone local.

But for me it boils down to

1. It can be a lot of work but generally worth it if you have the time and energy.
  2. Either hold it somewhere that won’t be a problem with no shows or require prepayment. I always opt for the former.
  3. Be sure to tip well so they’re happy to have you back.

The Charleston Offlineorama (mostly CellarTracker crowd but some Berserker crossover) is a 4 day event. We prepay the meals and rental facilities. Once I order ingredients (like the cooler of Flannery Steaks last year), people are responsible for paying so I don’t get stuck with the check. Since I plan the event a year in advance, the guest list is pretty fluid until several months before ‘go time.’

For people who have never planned a major event like this, or have never had last minute cancellations, it is difficult for me to express the level of stress that creates for the host.

We do lots of other events which are less regimented; I love those events also.

Through offlining I have met many people I hope to keep as lifelong friends.
When we retire (2-3 years), I’m going to organize a ‘Summertime in Midwinter’ blowout in South Florida.
[cheers.gif]

I remember that dinner!

So where’s my invitation to the Charleston Offlinorama? My wife love Charleston and the last time I was there, I had a professional courtesy meeting - - - scuba diving with a shark off the coast.