Visiting Boston - Impromptu Offline? Jan. 13th or 14th

I will be in the area visiting my son, who is attending Northeastern. I’d be available either that Monday night or Tuesday night, whichever might be best for folks, and would be flexible with themes (though I’m always drawn to Rhones). I’ll be staying in downtown and that would be ideal but I am flexible about that as well.

Please post who might be able to attend, which night, and suggestions for places as well . . .

Cheers!

Larry - so sorry I will be out of town. Hopes one of the Boston berserkers will step up to the task. Larry is good people!

Larry you are quite bold to visit the cold miserable New England region where we don’t even get much snow anymore just ice and wind and freezing rain ! Why do you think I am off to Aruba next Weds ?

Anyway a few thoughts from A Ct boy who knows Boston a little but and has attended a few of their events and vice versa. Firstly corkage policies in the city are some of the worst in the country. Very few restaurants “officially” allow it and those that do have it must comply with strict limitations, I think they must have less than 35 tables and no liquor license, IIRC. HOWEVER if you travel a little outside the city to some of the outlying areas you will find an easier time.

As your arrival is quite soon and it would be nice to gather a small crowd, I would recommend you contact my friend and fellow board member Kevin Foley as he knows and has contact info of a few dozen active Beantown offliners. It is best to email him. I would recommend you mention that I referred you to him. I have quite an active offline calendar between an upcoming Burg event In W Htfd and a few NY dinners, but MIGHT be able to join in Boston The date has not been finalized for our groups Chambolle themed Burg event If you wish to make a side trip to Ct for Monday for our gig then arrange a Boston event for Tuesday you could have a great time. My friend Dennis is bringing 4 or 5 Burgs so contributions of wine are not requires. Let me know if you might be willing to take the train over and I would pick you up at station.

Here is Kevin’s contact info. https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=368

Thanks for the kind words, Jud . . . next time!

Cheers

Jonathon,

I agree - not ideal timing but it does not appear that things will be too cold there. And thanks for the invite to the Burg offline. I will take a look at what I already have planned and get back in touch with you directly regarding that.

Thanks the the heads up on offlines in the area as well, especially the BYO situation. I’ll reach out to Kevin directly and start a discussion with him.

If we can’t get anything rolling this time, no worries - I’ll be back hopefully a couple times a year to visit my son.

Cheers!

Hi Larry,

On Monday Jan 13th, we have a Burgundy wine dinner (not byob) at La Voile in Boston (one of our better French restaurants) featuring wines from Ansonia, a tiny local wine importer and wine shop. I’m not sure if it is sold out, but I will check with Steve C who is helping organize the event. It should be fun and educational. Ansonia was recently written up in Forbes:

Alternatively, I can let people on my email list know that you are in town and we might be able to hook you up. If worst comes to worst, the best wine list in town is at Troquet on South, and owner Chris Campbell is a big wine lover and will treat you well.

Will shoot you an email too…

Looks like the 14th will be the better evening as my son has some commitments at school that night. Let’s see if we can come up with something, if even just a few folks . . .

Cheers

I’ll send an email out tonight, but if anyone is interested in Tuesday 1/14 somewhere around downtown, post here or PM me…

If you are interested in joining us downtown (probably the usual place, but I’ll have to confirm) or in a near neighborhood, let me know. Larry suggested Rhone wines as a theme, but we won’t get bent out of shape if you’d like to bring something else, Champagne or a sticky.

Will try to keep this small, 6-8 at most, first come, first served.

Hi Kevin
Glad I referred Larry to you, as I don’t know of anyone more hooked in with the Boston offline crew than yourself. I am interested in attending the event on the 14th as long as a small request can be accommodated. I would be able to join as long as we do start time of 6pm {or slightly earlier maybe 5:45 ?} This request might seem odd but it is quite logical. The last train leaves South street station at 9:30 and I cannot imagine staying less than 3 hours at an offline and it takes a few minutes to hail a lift and get to station.

I also am probably interested in Steve’s event the night before, if there is availability, and I would likely stay the night between, at the Westin Harborside where they treat me very well.

This dinner is full, with a wait list started… Larry is a poopular guy.

Really enjoyed meeting Larry, hearing about his winemaking vision and trying his wines!
4.jpg

So glad this worked out - Larry hope to see you next time you are in town!

You were in Boston and did not stop in the real city, New York?

I gather Larry did spend today in the best city in the Eastern US (after Boston): Philly

neener