PSA: Raleigh-Durham, NC Alto Piedmont Wine Dinner Wednesday February 5, 2020

The restaurant that I am a part owner* of is hosting an Alto Piedmont wine dinner next week. The restaurant is Rue Cler and it is in downtown Durham, NC. There will be 5 wines and 5 courses. The wines from the dinner are also available for sale at discounted prices if you find something you like.

Alto Piemonte Wine Dinner
Wednesday February 5th @ 7:00 pm
$79 per person

I’m a huge fan of the wines from the Alto Piemonte and visited last year with my wife for (part of) our anniversary. I think this is the most dynamic and exciting region for red wine right now.

\

• Hence, the ITB-ish in my signature. I am not part of the day-to-day operations.

As our quaint Triangle area here in the provinces gets so little traffic in the offline section, I thought I’d tag along on Nathan’s thread - if 6 or 8 folks would like to put together an epic tasting sometime, I think Nathan’s restaurant on a weeknight with the three-course menu might work quite well.

Sorry I’ll miss this Nathan. Always like to learn and eat at Rue Cler.

I was just looking at Raleigh restaurants for tomorrow night and decided to check WB. I wish I could make it to Durham for the dinner.

Any recommendations for somewhere in Raleigh?

What part of town Paul? If you’re staying downtown it makes sense to eat there. Although we live in Raleigh, when we eat out it’s usually in Durham.

Stan, I am staying at the Doubletree Brownstone by the university. I do not mind driving a little, but not to Durham. I have eaten at Vidrio and really like it.

There was a thread on this a year or two ago. Although I am not a huge fan, if you haven’t been to Ashley Christensen’s places downtown, they are worth a try (Death and Taxes, Poole’s); she gets a lot of favorable press outside of the area. Brewery Bhavana is worth a visit for upscale dim sum and interesting beer. For casual and quick with variety the Transfer Co. food hall (not the Morgan Street one) has a few decent vendors, have been wanting to try Alimentari at Left Bank there…multiple places I should check out have opened downtown within the last 6 months.

I was looking at Death & Taxes last night, looks good. My last trip we went to Oak, the trip before that O’Sullivans. Vidrio was before that. I have been to a number of lunch places downtown, nothing inspiring.

How is Seasons? I know it is part of a major chain but a colleague is interested. I may try for D&T tonight and will have to checkout some of the ones you mentioned on future trips.

I live on the Durham side of Orange County so I almost never go to Raleigh. When I do, I really like the Stanbury, J. Betski and Oakwood Pizza Box. Oakwood has a killer selection of Champagne (Anthony is an enthusiast) at what are sometimes retail prices in addition to other cool wines.

I like Death and Taxes a lot more than Ashley’s other spots.

I need to re-try it again at some point.
Love Poole’s, Chuck’s & Beasley’s but Death and Taxes was more like Death by Salt when I was there. Same complaint with Stanbury.

Stanbury was really good for a few years. The folks involved with it started working on new ventures and I felt like it wasn’t as good then, and I haven’t been back since…maybe worth trying again. Nathan I agree with you on the AC places, but for some reason Poole’s gets a lot of attention.

We had some similar “just fine” experiences but just started going back to Stanbury recently with excellent effect. FWIW, our friend Gabe Barker recommended it as his favorite spot in Raleigh.

We are heading to Stanbury. It is only nine minutes from the hotel so it is convenient. Thanks for the input.

Sorry to hikack your thread, Nathan.