Chicago OL (Memorial Day Weekend)

Anyone interested in getting together the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend (May 29)? I have been talking with Mike Lindauer (a part time resident of Chicago) about getting a group together. He lives across from the Bean and we will be in the Gold Coast area. If there is enough interest, we can figure out a theme and place. Let us know. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m available.

Leslie and I have it on our calendar. Time and place yet to be determined.

Mike and Loren, I would like to attend.

I was counting on you!

Great. So far:

Mike Lindauer
Loren Sonkin
Scott McDonald
Steve Nellessen

• spouses/significant others!

OK, so it looks like about 8 or ten of us. I like all kinds of wines. Do you guys want to have a theme or a free for all?

I’d like to attend as well. Sounds like a good time!

I vote for West Coast Wine (.net)…CA, OR, WA.

I was thinking Italian, but certainly flexible. Loren?

Can manage 10 in our condo, but any more than that and we’ll have to find a venue.

Bummer, I’m out of town for the weekend.

Responding to monitor this thread. We are unsure of what our plans will look like, so unfortunately, cannot commit at this time.

interested if space

1 Like

Yes we have room! Was hoping for a few more people actually.
If everyone brings a spouse or significant other, we are at 12-14 people.
Now considering using the party room at our condo (The Legacy).

Sounds good, fwiw it’ll just be me for the OL.

Enjoy everyone–Mike, glad to see you’re still posting here! Hope you’ve been well

Mike

Good to hear from you Mike. Let us know if/when you are coming to Chicago. Maybe we can plan a Fall OL.

It sounds like we have a great group. We should have about 12 based on this thread. It will be a nice chance to catch up and also meet new friends. As far as location, Loren and I have been talking. Due to the rise in Covid cases recently, it might be better to have a more private setting. I live at the Legacy, 60 E. Monroe St., Chicago, 60603 which is across the street from the Bean. We can rent the 42 floor party room for our private event. It’s spacious, with great views and can easily accommodate a group of our size. It will allow us to converse and move around a bit, so we can visit with everyone. Advantages are no extraneous noise and no corkage fees. We can split the cost of the room ($250.00 for 6 hours). If we meet at around 5:00 with dinner at 6:00 and out by 11 pm, it should work well.

As for food, The plan is to order from https://www.acantochicago.com/ , an excellent Italian restaurant that’s part of the Gage Hospitality group. It’s literally around the corner. Since at least two people are vegetarians and at least one is gluten free, my thoughts on the food menu are:

4 x MIXED OLIVES garlic, rosemary, orange (v/gf) • 8
6 x SICILIAN ARANCINI roasted pomodoro, parmigiano, olive oil (v) • 13

6 x APPLE SALAD chicories, radish, walnut, parmigiano, honey-cider
vinaigrette (v/gf) • 14

3 x CAVATELLI pistachio and arugula pesto, preserved lemon, grana padana (v) • 26
3 x CHICKEN PICCATA romanesco, capers, piccata sauce • 26
3 x BLACK PEPPER RIGATONI catalpa grove lamb ragout, caciocavalo, breadcrumbs • 28
3 x SHORT RIB bramata polenta, braised vegetables, mushrooms, fresh horseradish (gf) • 32

3 x BREAD SELECTION seeded cracker, rosemary and garlic focaccia • 6
4 x POLENTA AI FUNGHI parmigiano, roasted mushrooms (v/gf) • 10
3 x HEIRLOOM BABY ZUCCHINI roasted garlic, anchovy, parsley (gf) • 10
4 x HERBED POTATOES olive oil, garlic, herbs, parmigiano (v/gf) • 10

We can order and serve family style. I should have enough dishes and silverware, but you might want to bring your own stems. We should have some extra if that is an issue. We will split the cost amongst us. The total for the room and food should be in the neighborhood of $100 per person including tax and tip. I am skipping dessert although if someone wants to bring something, that is fine as well. It should be plenty of food regardless.
If anyone has any additional thoughts or concerns, let me know and we can make adjustments. We may also get a few stragglers, though I would like to finalize numbers by Wednesday if possible.

Now onto the wines! What are you thinking about bringing? it would be great to have some Sparklers, some whites and of course, various reds. We can try to set up some flights of like wines. No need to bring Italian though that is what I am thinking given the food. If there is a wine that one of you has wanted to try, go ahead and ask. You never know what may show up.

For Leslie and I, maybe a NV Pol Roger Champagne as a palette cleanser, perhaps a 2010 Val di Suga (Angelini) Brunello di Montalcino Vigna Spuntali, or 2010 Paitin di Pasquero-Elia Barbaresco Sorì Paitin and/or a 1997 Paolo Conterno Barolo Ginestra.

I will need to confirm total number of guests and have everybody’s name at the front desk, so they will allow access to the elevators when you arrive.

This should be fun and a great way to kick off the summer!

Jane and I are very much looking forward to this.

As for our wines, still figuring it out but:
2005 Gravner Breg Anfora
2009 Pio Cesare Barolo (Magnum)
2001 Feudi di San Gregorio Irpinia Serpico (Aglianico)

Of course, we reserve the right to adjust based on others that might make a better flight. And maybe something funky, just for fun.

1 Like