NEWBIE INTRO: Scherrer Winery - at last!

Those of you that know me know I don’t rush into anything, especially when it comes to wine. So… I guess after hearing of 10 successful BD offerings, it’s time that we join the festivities of Berserker Day 11. Can’t rush into these things you know… :wink: And those of you that I haven’t yet had the pleasure of meeting, please keep reading.

About Us
Scherrer Winery was born from my fondness for alcohol back when I was a teenager. Making a little Zinfandel from the old vines my Grandfather planted in 1912 made me a rock star in High School (the only reason). I knew then what I was going to do with the rest of my life.

I received my degree in Fermentation Sciences at U.C. Davis and then back to the “real world” of wine making to learn where, when, how, and importantly if to apply science to the art of winemaking. This included some early days making wine in Alexander Valley and in Mendocino County. I returned to Sonoma County in 1988, making wine at Dehlinger for 10 years. During this time, I continued to refine my long-time notion that “winemaking revolves around the vineyard”.

With my father’s support [Ed Scherrer of Scherrer Vineyard], and the encouragement of Tom Dehlinger, I began making Zinfandel from my families’ vineyard in 1991. The first vintage consisted of 600 cases. Over the next 5 years, I was able to slowly expand production of Zinfandel as I continued my ‘day job’ as winemaker at Dehlinger. In late 1997, I was at the point that I was able to make the winery a full-time occupation moving into its current location in an insulated metal building just north of Sebastopol. Once in my own place, I was able to include Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Syrah and Grenache to the line. I do all of the cellar work myself. I’ve been able to impose on a handful of friends and customers here and there to help during harvest or bottling. We are the only winery in the building which allows me to explore very time-inefficient winemaking. Our annual production is about 5000 cases, about half of that Pinot Noir. Judi, my wife, has handled all the administrative and compliance for the winery since 2002, keeping me out of trouble with bureaucrats and freeing me do what I love to do most.

Berserker Threads

And don’t just take my word for it…

2014 Old & Mature Vines Zinfandel

2012 Old & Mature Vines Zinfandel

2012 Hallberg Vineyard Pinot Noir

2007 Platt Vineyard Pinot Noir

2013 Old & Mature Vines Zinfandel

2008 Platt Vineyard Pinot Noir

1996 Old & Mature Vines Zinfandel

2004 Fort Ross ‘High Slopes’ Pinot Noir

2015 Shale Terrace Zinfandel

Bam!!!

‘At last’ is correct! Glad I nagged Fred to join us!

For the amount of Dehlinger your household drinks he should personally deliver it.

Fred is a great guy and wines just might be even better. Buy with tremendous confidence newbies.

01 Ft Ross PN as good as any domestic PN I have ever tasted.

I’ll just chime in to say that Judi is also a pleasure to deal with, on the customer service side of things.

[dance-clap.gif]

Have been drinking Fred’s wines for almost 20 years - he is a genius and has a deft touch with a multitude of grapes. Buy with confidence…

i’m new to your wines, but after hearing/reading all the ultra positive feedback, am looking forward to meeting some of your bottles!

3 times I have brought the O & M zins to blind tastings and 3 times voted best bottle of the night. Great stuff!

[dance-clap.gif]

This is like landing a 5 star recruit. I cannot wait for the offer. Love visiting with Fred and letting him pick out a mixed case for me after.

Oh man! This is one to look forward to!!

Thank you for hopping on board Fred!

can anyone describe the style of the pinots or liken them to other producers?

I’ve only had the Zins, but I’d look no further than ‘10 years at Dellinger’, I hope others will chime in. I’m stoked about this one-thanks to Brig and Toddly.

Joe - I would describe Fred’s pinot winemaking style as a cross between Dehlinger ( where he worked previously) and Arcadian. His wines age extremely well and are beautifully constructed, like Arcadian, but are a touch bigger and riper, more like Dehlinger. He also makes super age worthy Sonoma chards, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel ( a pinot lover’s Zin) and Syrah. Hope that helps and Fred can correct me if he feels I am off base!

Great, thank you for the perspective.

Exciting addition to BD!

Looks like my austerity plan for this year’s BD is under attack

Oh boy, mine’s the first thread on the Berserker ‘reviews’, and if you search my posts for mentions of Scherrer, you’ve got a smorgasbord of love right there. If you haven’t tried these wines, I may have to ban you, but you have one more shot right here to make good…THEN I ban you.