Championship Bottle: A First Vintage of Willamette Whites in the Time of Coronavirus

Greetings fellow Berserkers!

I want to introduce you to a brand new, mostly-very AFWE, teeny-tiny winery of Oregon: Championship Bottle. Launching a new winery label in the time of the Coronavirus is practically farcical, but I didn’t see this coming, either. We’re a very small (250 case) bootstrapped operation who originally planned to use our savings and sales to grow slowly into a viable full-time operation (I’m ITB in other capacities/have been since 2008). Needless to say, growth seems like a luxury now, so I’m reaching out to the WB community that I’ve enjoyed for so long–in large part because I think many of you will really like the wines.

Simply put, my goal has been to make some of the best white wines in the Willamette Valley, at prices that those in the wine business can afford to buy. We’re loosely inspired by the wines of Friuli (especially the Collio/Colli Orientali), which we think shares a vinous link with our little corner of Oregon. Our first proper vintage was 2018 and our mailing list offering for the core of those wines just went out a week or so ago.

The lineup in this release represents both the winery’s core focus (mineral, energetic white wines) and is a realized vision of what we want white wine from the Willamette Valley to be and we’re thrilled to share these with you today.

We’re releasing three different wines, all from the 2018 vintage. Unlike many young wineries, we don’t see white wine as a shortcut to cashflow—we’ve taken time to give them an extended upbringing in barrel and tank. We think this shows in the complexity and nuance they’ve developed, but it doesn’t detract from their sheer deliciousness. They have a verve and zest, unusual in West Coast whites, that we find compulsively drinkable.

I’ll get into the wines in a second, but to order, just DM or email me (saul[at]championshipbottle.com) with what you’d like. (Full ordering details after the wine descriptions.)

The first wine is called Silicone on Sapphire, a dub version of a Friuli-style blend. This might be the singular wine that embodies what we hope to accomplish—proof that the native tongue of the Willamette Valley has a Furlan accent. Our wine is composed of four grapes common to Friuli: Ribolla Gialla, Tocai Friulano, Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay. This wine is delicious, but with an aristocratic bearing; it feels formal, somehow. The texture is beguiling, with mineral drenched flavors that linger on the palate. There’s no shortage of energy and drive, so it’s versatile at the table, but will only improve with age, putting on a bit of weight as it goes. Full retail price is $27, but it’s available for $22 through WB Quarantine Relief.

Our second wine, Lost Verses, is 100% Sauvignon Blanc from the Durant Vineyard in the Dundee Hills. It’s a different expression of a grape that’s unfortunately often pedestrian. Ours is rich, with tropical fruit and little of the grassy/underripe grapefruit flavors commonly seen in mass-market SB. Sauvignon might be the great underplanted grape variety in the Willamette Valley, able to hold its brightness even as its flavors become more exotic. We fermented and aged this in fourth-fill barrels to give this wine more texture and the resulting wine is powerful, rich and captivating. This is far and away the least subtle thing we’ve made and we love it for its bombastic personality and immediate charm. Like the previous wine, full retail is $27 but our Berserkers price is $22. (If you really dig Sauvignon Blanc, note that we were unable to secure these grapes in 2020, so the wine will be taking a hiatus next year.)

Finally, we have an electric Pinot Blanc called Hard Promises. Pinot Blanc is a grape that can be made into wines that range from big and fat to lithe and mineral, and this very much falls into the latter camp. Comparisons to Chablis and cool-climate European whites are normally undeserved in American wine, but this wine has the bright acidity and zesty drive to fool you into think that it came from the other side of the Atlantic. This will be brilliant with shellfish and muggy summer nights on a porch. Retail will be $22 and it’s just $18 for you right now.

If you’re curious to know more, there’s plenty of information about each wine on our website (More Prose About Vineyards and Wine — Championship Bottle) or shoot me an email with any questions.

To order wine, just DM or email (saul[at]championshipbottle.com) with how many of each wine you’d like. I’ll send you an invoice through Square and you can pay with a credit card. Shipping is $25 per box (up to 12 bottles) and wines will ship ground. If you’d like to upgrade to faster shipping let me know. Also, if you’re in Portland, I’m happy to work out delivery for any order of three or more bottles.

The fact that you’re still reading means a lot to me. Thank you for your interest and curiosity to make it this far. It’s a crowded marketplace and I really appreciate that you’re willing to slog through my prose to hear a little more about an idiosyncratic vision for a winery.

-Saul

I haven’t had the first two wines, but the Pinot Blanc is a dynamite wine. Aromatics centered around citrus, yuzu and lemon tones with some subtle lees notes. Palate is textured but refreshing, more lemon and yuzu, very good length and great acidity. Pinot Blanc likes to get fat in a hurry and this wine shows the richness of the varietal but stays very bright and refreshing.

Along with Kelley Fox’s PB, this is my other favorite for WV Pinot Blanc. That said, I am a long way from having tasted all the WV Pinot Blanc’s in the Valley, so YMMV.

Thank you Marcus for the kind words and thank you to all who have ordered so far. It’s humbling to get this much support from a community I’ve valued for so long!

A second here. I make my wine alongside Saul and he’s truly doing good and interesting work. I highly recommend these wines and am excited to see what’s coming next. Saul describes the wines well I think, buy accordingly.

Nicely done Saul!!! Congratulations!

Thanks Todd! And another thanks to everyone who’s ordered so far. I know it’s a gamble to buy wines untasted from a new winery and I’m floored by all the support!

As this thing is winding down, I wanted to thank everyone who’s purchased so far. I know times are tough, but these direct purchases make a big difference for me (and for everyone else posting in the forum). I really appreciate your support!

Tried one of the Hard Promises. It really was a dead ringer for a bottle from Fruili. Recommended if you like that kind of thing – didn’t know you could get there with Willamette fruit.

Good to see you on the board Saul. Hope you are doing well .

Whites in a northern Italian white style are on of the better kept secrets about the Willamette Valley.

Love these wines, Saul! I’ll contact you about an order

Thanks all for the kind words and I hope y’all are doing well.

Also, for anyone on the fence: shipping windows are closing soon.

Thanks again to everyone who’s bought wine so far! These kinds of purchases really help small wineries, especially right now as distribution and restaurant sales aren’t an option.