Chianti Terroir Sampler - VDLT - Gregory Dal Piaz

As some of you might know I recently began a collaboration with VDLT Community (aka Voix de la Terre wines - www.vdltwine.com). I’ve spent so much time traveling throughout Italy and have discovered so many wines that I wanted to buy here in the states, but couldn’t, until I discovered the guys at VDLT. They’re wine lovers who bring in wines for exactly the right reasons: to be able to share our hard to find favorites. While they have historically focused on fine French wines, particularly from Burgundy, Champagne, Rhone, and the Loire, last year they introduced Italy and I’m proud to be able to source some Italian wines to add to their portfolio.

As you know, Italy has been the hardest hit country outside of China during this Coronavirus pandemic. Let’s give them a show of support and drink a few bottles of their, and our favorite wines.

The Chianti Terroir Sampler six pack is priced at $181 with free shipping. You can order it here: https://vdltwine.com/collections/subregion-tuscany-italy/products/christophe-pichon-6-pack-expected-fall-2018. Until June 15th, VDLT is waiving its $200 membership fee to join their Community. So, you can access all their wines at member prices.

The Chianti Terroir sampler includes the following wines:
2011 Caparsa Caparsino Chianti Classico Riserva - Radda - From a north facing vineyard, this is a powerful, deep, muscular example of Chianti Classico, mature but perhaps not quite at peak, there’s so much going on here with a deep imprint of soil driven terroir. and vibrant fruit. (A VDLT selection prior to our collaboration that I knew and admired as well).

2012 Fietri Chianti Classico Riserva - Gaiole - From one the highest, and most unspoiled vineyards in Chianti Classico, this is fully mature, delicate and elegant exhibiting the perfumes of the vineyard, great terroir and a very unique expression of Chianti Classico

2016 Villa Pomona Chianti Classico Riserva -Castellina — Just terrific, from a mix of marine and sedimentary soils, great complexity, terrific benchmark style of Chianti Classico that blends some modern fruit with classic leather and herb complexity.

2016 Montefioralle Chianti Classico Riserva - Greve - Grown on an east facing slope at altitude, pure limestone soil, this has such beautiful limestone tannins, is precise and sleek in sort of the Monsanto way but with more depth and structure

2016 Marchesi Gondi Pian dei Sorbi Chianti Rufina Riserva- Traditional production but vineyards in a warm spot in Ruffina with great soil that produces wines that have a ton of fruit, feels kind of modern in its youth, alcohol kept in check around 13.5%, made terrific strides over the past 5 vintages to clean up things and the wines show really well, a crowd pleaser!

2013 Marchesi Gondi Villa Bossi Chianti Rufina Riserva- Not what I would expect to like, it’s got a dollop of Cabernet in the blend and is aged in some barrique, but boy is this good, if in a slightly Super Tuscan kind of way. A joy to drink with stunning balance and depth to the fruit. There’s no way I thought I’d be recommending this, but it is that good!

I love these wines but you should also check out what the following respected Berserkers have to say about these wines:

John Fodera: Intro: Fattoria Pomona - John Fodera's Tuscan Vines

Loren Sonkin: http://bit.ly/3d58wsg

Bob Hughes: The return of Friday night Pizza TNs (VDLT sampler) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Brina Tuite: TNs: A couple Chiantis from the VDLT Sampler - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Keith Levenberg: Tasting Notes from 'Keith Levenberg' - CellarTracker

We sincerely hope you’ll share our enjoyment of these wines. The sampler set is a great way to get to know Chianti better, discover some terrific new producers and show some support for all of our Italian friends who are going through such hard times.

Grazie e un abbraccio dal cuore. (Thank you and a heartfelt hug!)

Looking forward to trying these wines! [cheers.gif]

Welcome to the VDLT Community Peter. We look forward to your impressions of the Chiantis.

Thanks for trying them Peter.

If you have any question about the wines please feel free to reach me here on the board or via email.

Just signed up for VDLT and picked up the Chianti deal. We don’t drink enough of it in the home and can’t wait to pick it up again. It’ll get me out of my Cali Pinot rut!

Thanks David - and everyone who ordered this Chianti Sampler. A limited number remain.

Just purchased - looking forward to these!

Thanks Virgil. Please enjoy.

As a Hobart alumnus, extra pleased with your order.

In!

I’ve now tried three of these and been quite impressed:

2012 Fietri Chianti Classico Riserva - Gaiole, from tonight, the clear favorite of the three and ready to drink. This is not at all overt, but shows typicity and great balance. I’d reload on this wine, but I must try them all first.
2016 Villa Pomona Chianti Classico Riserva -Castellina, tad more modern but also showing very nice spice, earthiness and structure.
2013 Marchesi Gondi Villa Bossi Chianti Rufina Riserva, even more modern but subsides to something that is Chianti with earth and mushroom as well as good structure.

Btw these all showed best in Grassl Cru. Tried GGG and Grassl 1855, the former reduced the palate feel and the latter the aromas. Saw that Greg recommends Liberté, but I don’t have those.

Peter, I share most of your impressions, the one exception is I wouldn’t call Pomona modern-leaning. It is fuller bodied than many Chianti (the other Greg says that’s typical for this Castellina vineyard). It Certainly is riper than The Fietri (tho that says more about the latter than the former) but less so than the Montefioralle you have.

Pleased to have you as a member of the VDLT Community. I look forward to your thoughts on the wines from your latest order.

We have them, if you need :wink:. Seriously, it didn’t occur to me to try Sangiovese in the Cru. I will try next time. Agreed the 1855 is not the best for it.

Just purchased this sampler- thank you for sharing! Cheers!

Greg, I’m not a purist who thinks that modern winemaking is bad or that fruit is an undesirable flavor in wines. [cheers.gif]
Had the 2011 Caparsa Caparsino last night which definitely has lots of concentrated flavors and also a lot of supporting acids, loved the aromas in this wine as well. I’ve been very pleased with all four that we’ve had so far and I’m looking forward to exploring more of your wines.

Thanks Gianna.

Peter, interesting how terms like “modern” and “ripe” can span such a spectrum of impressions/reactions. An open mind is often best!

Glad you enjoyed the Caparsino.

My sampler was just delivered. Thanks, and I’m looking forward to them, but tonight - Musar!

[cheers.gif]

I’m really looking forward to trying these wines. I love Italian wines!

Enjoy Dave!

Welcome Sheila!

Continued thanks to all.

Hi everyone. I didn’t expect such a response for this offer! I want to thank you all for looking, sharing, and purchasing.

I hope everyone finds something to like from among these selections, and I can’t wait to share our future selections with you!

How does VDLT handle aggregation of multiple orders for shipping? Are all/most offers made with free shipping like this one was, in which case it doesn’t matter? If not, can we buy two bottles of this and then three bottles of that a month later, etc. and aggregate to ship full cases during the Spring and Fall weather windows?

Dave

VDLT offers free shipping on all orders of $150 or more. Certainly, you can aggregate - or hold orders until shipping season. We also set up storage accounts for some of our clients with storage challenges or any other reason.

VDLT Direct orders (see Champagne offer in Quarantine Relief) are handled and ship separately (since they come directly from Europe).