Sun Break Wines: Whole Cluster or De-stemmed? Taste the difference; 20% discounts + free shipping

Have you wondered about the difference between wines from whole cluster fermentations vs. destemmed? Here’s an opportunity to try out the full spectrum of wine making styles and test your assumptions. Will you enjoy all three, or have a strong preference for one style?

One Vineyard, 5 clones, 3 styles or "terroirs:" To fully explore the terroir of the Cortell-Rose Vineyard, our wines are produced in three wine-making styles that create three delicious flavor profiles or expressions of this site: Colette is made from 100% destemmed fermentations; Ariane is made from 100% whole cluster fermentations; and Marie-Paule is a 50/50 blend of the best barrels from the two fermentation styles. All three feature rich, black cherry and currant fruit flavors with varying textures and levels of secondary savory and spice notes.

Learn more about the wines and use the “StayHome” discount code for 20% discounts and free shipping (3 bottle minimum, please) at: https://sunbreakwinecider.com/

As I learned winemaking in the past 5 years, I have worked with 3 vintners that exclusively used destemmed grapes, one that exclusively used whole cluster, and one who used 33% whole cluster (she called it a “layer cake”). I must admit that I was firmly in the destemmed camp a few years ago and still really enjoy this style of winemaking, but after progressively trying more whole cluster wines from Mylan, Goodfellow, White Rose and Cristom here locally in Oregon I have a growing appreciation for the increased complexity and depth and brightness of these wines. And of course, Domaine Romanee-Conti and DuJac wines in Burgundy are among the most praised Pinot Noirs in the world and they are mostly produced from whole cluster fermentations (I sure to wish I could try them : ) They must be doing something right!

Try all three of our wines and decide for yourself! I like all but here’s another question for you all: should I focus the winery’s effort on one style, or continue all three?

Cheers,

David Patte
Sun Break Wine and Cider
Owner, Wine and Cider Maker
Corvallis, (541) 745-3016 (mobile)
dpatte62@gmail.com

I just received my order. I got two of each Pinot, and also two of each cider. I’m really looking forward to trying everything! [cheers.gif]

Enjoy and thanks for the support! We’ll keep the “stayhome” discount code open as long as the weather allows us to ship. In other news, I interviewed with Lettie Teague, wine writer for the Wall Street Journal, and the story publishes Thursday (April 15)! Also, the Garagiste was interested in sampling the wines, so fingers crossed for this alternative (in lieu of classic distribution).

David

No shipping to CA? I’m getting a “contact producer” when trying to ship to CA. Was hoping to buy one of each and have a few friends do the same so we could do an online tasting.

Thanks for your note-- great idea. So, this has been frustrating: my shipper (Vinoshipper based in California) has temporarily closed its warehouse center (and they didn’t notify us). I have several California clients who contacted me last week and I’m going through the CA ABC to obtain a direct shipping permit. Hopefully, I’ll have that soon and will let you know!

Quick questions…

• Any offers on your ciders?
  • How do your ciders compare to traditional brut Cidres from Normandy? I fell in love with these in France last fall, but they are impossible to find near me?
  • How do your ciders compare to Angry Orchard crisp apple, which is the only domestic cider I regularly drink?

Great, thanks! looking forward to an update on that!

-Yes, if you order wine using the “StayHome” discount code, you can add cider and the free shipping will apply to the entire order (the wines will be discounted 20%). There’s just not enough margin on $8/$8.50 bottles of cider to allow for free shipping : ) (Minimum three bottles of wine please, to cover the cider shipping)
-Brut cidres from Normandy are my stylistic goal! All three are in this wheelhouse, with the Idyll Acres Perfection being the closest to that goal at 100% heritage fruit including 2 Normandy varietals; but the Gravenstein Gold includes 3 Normandy varietals and the Liberty Red has two.
-I actually have not tried the Angry Orchard Crisp, but looking at the web description, it does appear have some residual sugar. Ours are completely dry, no sugar, not pasteurized… dry ciders pair better with food…

Thanks!

This is great news, and thank you for taking the time to reply. Angry Orchard Crisp is pleasant but a bit one note. Yours sound very nice, as I am looking for more flavor complexity without the sweetness on the back end.

Last question, can you suggest a “best by” drinking range?

You are welcome. These ciders are great right now-- we bottling the 2019 vintage first week of March-- but they age really well due to the high tannins/phenolics and the high acidity. The flavor profile becomes softer and rounder with aging, lifting the aromatics and fruit. I’m a winemaker by training and background so yes, I approach cidermaking like sparkling wine and the goal is fresh, crisp, mouthwatering brightness, with a complex bouquet of aromatic and flavor notes. I have learned that blends of 6+ “heritage” varietals is the secret (these apples are from small local orchards-- and expensive-- this why we have to add a certain amount of “base” desert apples which are much cheaper to obtain).

Our little local wine club just did a limited zoom virtual tasting with David. Thank you so much for joining us for this David. It was very informative and fun. These wines are very good and I highly recommend them. They are definitely worth the investment.

Thanks Leonard. Great people! That was fun!

Direct sales have really taken off. But also FYI, the WSJ plug also brought interest from two commercial wine club managers-- one a 600-member group and the other is really huge (samples were mailed to both). I have a call with one these guys on Wednesday, so fingers crossed! This is a great alternative to traditional distribution channels which continue to be frozen obviously until restaurants, resorts, etc., can reopened. Before I sell too much through these channels I will double check to see if folks want to reserve anything. I was thinking it would be interesting to also offer a 55F cellar storage service for a small fee. For example, we can hold wines and ship as needed. Something like $5 per case per year for cellaring services should cover our costs.

Cheers, David

Hey David, I sent you a PM but it may not have gone through. Will give you a call and/or send a regular mail.

Thanks, Patrick. I love doing Zoom tasting events. They have been fun— I love interacting with wine and cider lovers. (Miss the in-person events.)