3 New Patricia Green Cellars C-19 Quarantine Offerings

Patricia Green Cellars
3 New Offers during the Covid-19 Lockdown

Y’all have been killing it on the Muscat. Glad we found a home for this wine. We are down to our last 10 or so cases of the 2017, in fact. So, seeing as others have offered you up a little diversity, we thought we would bust some stuff out to break up the (mostly) singular focus. We have 3 new offers. They are all on the website: Patricia Green Cellars
Once you have placed your orders in the cart and are checking out, there will be a “Coupon Code” field on the right above your order totals. Input “BerserkerShip” and that will activate the complimentary ground shipping on these specific packages. If you live in a state where the temperature is too hot to ship right now and would like to receive your wines before the fall, please call the winery to discuss your options 503-554-0821.
Thanks, and I hope everyone is safe, sound, whole and getting through this without too much loss of any kind.

Offer #1: The New White
2019 Willamette Valley Sauvignon Blanc:
This just got bottled on Thursday the 23rd, and while it is straight off the bottling line it tends to be pretty bottle-shock resistant. The bright wine acid-freaks will like this wine. TA of over 8.0 and a pH hovering around 3.10. Still, lots of ripe fruit and a good enough amount of wine weight without it being the least bit heavy. No RS at all. I know from the ‘Top 10 Beverages People Hate’ thread that not everyone out there is an SB fan. This wine could cut both ways. It is not grapefruit-y at all. More tropical fruits with a bunch of lime juice squeezed on top. There is certainly a bit of the typical character of the variety but I think in a pleasant and good sort of manner. If you’re looking for New Zealand you won’t find it here, if you’re looking for Sancerre you should check out the Estate Vineyard bottling. This is fresh, easy and tasty and has more complexity than you would think. Good juice.
This normally goes for $24/bottle. We will do (shipping included) a six-pack at $115 and a full case at $210.

Offer #2: The One-Off
2018 Hyland Vineyard Pinot Noir, Barrel #9:
I mentioned this a week or so ago. You can go back into the original offer thread and look at posts #74 and #75 for some context. We started getting fruit from Hyland Vineyard in 2017. In fact, we are one of three wineries that received fruit from the 1989 planting of Coury Clone (our block is adjacent to the fruit that Kelley Fox uses for her bottling). We had 12 barrels of it in 2018 however we only used 11 for the Hyland Vineyard bottling. The barrel of Hyland we left out, all of a sudden last summer turned bitter. Like burnt walnut sort of bitter. You literally couldn’t drink it. No explanation. It was in a once-filled barrel that hadn’t been empty for some time. The wine had been just as good as the other 11 barrels up until it finished ML. I asked other winemakers to taste it and no one had any idea what it was. Ran an extensive lab test on it. Zip. Perfectly normal numbers. So, we put it in a topping tank and nailed it with SO2. It has been there for 7 months now and, of course, it’s fine.
It is quite better than fine. It is supple, rugged, intense, deep, tannic and lively. It shows none of whatever afflicted it last year. I think I still would have considered pulling it from the Hyland bottling as there is a pretty fine distinction between this barrel and the other 11.
Nonetheless, we are where we are at. You might be taking some infinitesimal chance that this wine reverts back, but I would say it is entirely improbable that will happen (read post 74). This is one of our top bottlings from a great and historic site in Oregon. This bottling will punch well over the dollar weight we are offering it, HOWEVER that means it will also act like that. It will be tannic and unwieldy at first and not drink super-well right out of the box.
There is one other thing… We are offering it up here because we trust you good people to keep it on the Downlow! We don’t have a 2018 Hyland Vineyard Coury Clone, Barrel #9 label. Buying a one-off, one-barrel label would have been insanely expensive, so instead we had an open-ended deal with a place to bottle a proprietary wine for them from the 2018 vintage. After the labels were printed, they decided to pass this year, but we still had the label. I would ask that folks don’t post pictures of this, don’t mention it in tasting notes and if you’re posting in Cellar Tracker, please call it what we are selling it as here: “2018 Hyland Vineyard Coury Clone, Barrel #9”. When you get the bottles you will (most likely) understand because the name on the label may be a place you know.
We are offering this at (shipping included) $180/6-pack and $350/case.

Offer #3: The Sample Pack
2018 Patricia Green Cellars Tour of the Cellar:
I have been asked by a couple people now who tried the Muscat and the Pinot Noir pack to offer up something that gives an even more broad sense of the Patricia Green Cellars experience. That’s hard to do when you bottle 30 different Pinot Noirs. I always appreciate folks who are new or newer to us coming to me and asking for something like this. I had to go to the powers that be to see what we still have on hand and what, in theory, we will need when we hopefully start selling wine vaguely normally at some point this year. This is what I was able to come up with (1 bottle each):
Estate Vineyard, Old Vine $42
Estate Vineyard, Wadensvil Block $55
Olenik Vineyard, Anklebreaker Block $60
Balcombe Vineyard $42
Weber Vineyard $50
Hyland, Coury Clone Vineyard $75
Freedom Hill Vineyard, Dijon 115 Clone $48
Freedom Hill Vineyard, Wadensvil Clone $48
Marine Sedimentary (All sourced from Chehalem Mountains or Ribbon Ridge AVA sites) $42
Volcanic (All sourced from old vine Dundee Hill sites) $42
Reserve (Our general Willamette Valley blend) $29
Notorious (Blend of the best 4-8 barrels in the cellar) $85
This gives you a look at our 2 “Soil Series” Pinot Noirs, 8 individual vineyard bottlings with some block or clonal variations thrown in, and two of our Willamette Valley blended Pinots (one being a good overall ‘drinking’ wine and the other the ultimate expression of our identity as winemakers). There are certainly different ways to cut up the PGC experience, but this seemed pretty decent given inventory limitations.
The cost for this mixed case is $460 (shipping included)

Again, in order to get shipping included on these offers you will need to input the Coupon Code “BerserkerShip”. As always, if you have issues please call the winery at 503-554-0821.

Could I maybe add a three pack of the #9 to an existing order? If I ask really nicely? :smiley:

That’s no problem. I would say for any add-ons or combo situations please email abigail@patriciagreencellars.com.

We didn’t want to overload this post with “what to do in every possible scenario” so if you want to be creative just let us know what you want to do directly and we will figure out a way to fit it into your life.

Jim, i’m loving the muscat, but i have a little order “issue” that i emailed about a couple of days. Is orders@patrica…etc. the best way to reach you guys?

I would use abigail@patriciagreencellars.com and she will take care of you. You can also call.

In for some Hyland. I still have amazing memories of barrel tasting the 17… For the label you could have slapped on some of those “Hi! My name is…” stickers and penned in #9.

Jim, When do you generally like to drink PGC SV wines? I know this board has gone round and round about when to drink OR PN with many people favoring the ten year mark. We opened a 2015 Estate Old Vines last night, decanted for an hour and drank over three. Despite being warmer vintage, It seemed like it still wanted to stay sheltered in place for five more years. Thanks.

I think, mostly, the SVD Pinots should hang out for 7-10. That’s my thoughts though but I taste the wines SO MUCH that I can tire of their youthful natures and only find interest in them with some age.

Earlier this year we had a Burgundy tasting with some pretty impressive bottles and in the mix were PGC wines from 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2012. All showed nicely and the 2009 was in a great place and held it’s own in maybe the stiffest flight.

this is a great set of offers Jim! Abigail got me all set up!

Thanks!

Jim - just received the Muscat earlier in the week and paired with mediterranean take out, it was fantastic - cannot wait to pair it with some Thai! Thanks for a great wine at a steal of a price! I think this may become the “its 3PM and no more meetings today” wine!

Thanks for the new selections - will take a look!

The Muscat does well with spicy foods. Low enough alcohol that is doesn’t burn back at the food and the acidity is moderate enough that it doesn’t get drawn into the food’s heat. We’ve sold out of the ‘17 now (well, we’ve brought the last few cases from the warehouse back to the winery) so it will be on to the 2018 (exactly like the 2017) in the near future.

more awesome offers. In for the #9 and the sampler!

That muscat is just addictive. Glad I stocked up. Polished off another today. I am easily going to get through all of what I ordered by end of summer.

Jim what’s the ABV of Sauvignon Blanc?

Pretty sure it’s 12.9

ok awesome, putting in an order for that one too.

Had another Muscat today. Really glad it found its place here on the forum. You have to love it when one of your pet projects turns into being a cult classic.

Just talked to Abi last night and placed my order.

Jim,

Besides the AVA, how would you describe the structure and flavor profile of the Hyland Coury compared to the Freedom Hill Coury bottling? I’ve been a fan of the Freedom Hill Coury since it’s inception. Also what is abv of the 2018 Hyland Coury Barrel #9?

Thanks for making this wine available! I received my order today.

Freedom Hill is marine soil and the Hyland is volcanic. Both are pretty dark and structured for sure but the Hyland strikes me as sweeter in fruit with a broader sensation to it and fine tannins. The FH shows more minerality, tea and a greater range of non-fruit based flavors with some stiffer tannins. Not necessarily the opposite side of the same coin.

I believe the alcohol on the barrel offered here is 13.8. That is not necessarily what the label will say however it is still within the realm of being correct for governmental purposes. Remember this label is only being used as a desperation measure.

In for a 6 back of Barrel #9.
Quick question- Do you know when you are going to start selling the 2018 dry Muscat?
Looking forward to both!

While we haven’t officially rolled over to the 2018 we are likely about to be into it. If this were Pinot it would be a thing. Honestly there is basically no variation in the Muscat vintage to vintage. If you liked the 2017 you will like the 2018. One, IMO, is not appreciably better than the other. Dating back to our first rumblings with this grape in 2011 I have found that to be the case.

Ditto! So last night, I went in for a case of Lichen bubbles with a friend. I put the purchase on my Visa, and she will pay me for her half.

Soooooo, from my way of thinking, this purchase for me was free!

Amiright??!! [snort.gif]

I like the way you think. A friend reimbursed me for some wine purchases and I used the money to buy some wines from Berserker Quarantine Relief! flirtysmile