Thank you! Goodfellow Berserker Day XII packages

If you didn’t get a chance to participate yesterday, we’re happy to honor BD XII pricing through Friday night. Thanks again everyone for making this a tremendous Berserker Day for Goodfellow Family Cellars.

Hello! And welcome to the best wine event of the year! 2020 was a very strange and challenging year and I would like to thank everyone who has supported our wines, whether for many years or just today. This forum, and your support, is a difference maker for many of us.
champagne.gif

We’re excited to be offering wines from the extraordinary 2018 vintage, for Berserker Day XII. We’ll feature a range of packages this year that do a superlative job of expressing the unique terroirs we work with as seen through the lens of 2018, and a few wines from 2017 and 2019 as well.

For anyone unfamiliar with Goodfellow Family Cellars, we are located in the North Willamette Valley. Currently we produce just over 4000 cases annually, from Whistling Ridge, Durant, Temperance Hill, Fir Crest, and Lewman Vineyards. Each of these sites is a wonderful storyteller. My partner, Megan Joy, and I translate those stories every year and our work centers around preserving the story of the vineyard. It’s a great job.

We’ll try to keep the verbiage short as you have lots of ground to cover today, but here is a link to information on the wines, vineyards, and people that make Goodfellow Family Cellars wines possible: https://goodfellowfamilycellars.com/bdxii

For orders or questions, please email me at marcus@goodfellowfamilycellars.com or call my partner Megan Joy at (503) 347-6366. You can also just post in the thread below. Shipping to the continental United States is $30/box flat rate shipping (unless otherwise noted) and we are able to ship to most states.

Without further ado, the Goodfellow Family Cellars Berserker Day 12 packages:

Package #1: “The Brian Stotter" Round up the usual suspects

6-pack(1 bottle each) regularly: $220 Berserker Day: $180
12-pack(2 bottles each) regularly: $440 Berserker Day: $345

If you’re new to Goodfellow wines, and want to get a good introduction to our wines, this is the way to go. A mixed 6-pack focused on the outstanding 2017 and 2018 vintages, these wines are all beautiful expressions of the vineyards for a modest price. For more information on the wines, please see the link above.

2018 Dundee Hills Chardonnay-abv 13.0%
2018 Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay-abv 12.3%
2017 Temperance Hill Vineyard Pinot Noir-abv 13.4%
2017 Whistling Ridge Vineyard Pinot Noir-13.0%
2018 Durant Vineyard Pinot Noir-abv 13.6%
2018 Lewman Vineyard Pinot Noir-abv 13.0%

Package #2: “The Philip Good” Single Vineyard Chardonnays

2018 Chardonnays: 3 bottles Whistling Ridge Vineyard + 3 bottles Durant Vineyard

6-pack Retail: $240 Berserker Day XII: $192

It seems these two vineyards deliver stand out wines year after year. The 2018 Chardonnays are characterized by elegance, nervy fruit, a developing stoniness, bright acidity, and low alcohol(12.1-13.0%). Cellaring is recommended, but there is little penalty for checking in early. Now to 2030.

Package #3: “The James Lyon” A Whistling Ridge Deep Dive
2 bottles each of 2018 House Block, 2018 Long Acre, and 2018 Beloved Acre from Whistling Ridge

Retail: $300 Berserker Day XII: $240

There are five individual blocks of Pinot Noir planted at Whistling Ridge, and I can throw a frisbee between any of them. Each produces wines, familial in nature, but with very different personalities. The changeable nature of Pinot Noir is perhaps my favorite thing about the grape, and exploring the ways that small changes can affect these grapes is my life’s work. The small roll to the West in the House Block. The Beloved Acre cresting the ridge so that 70% of it is gentle southeast slope, while the remaining 30% rolls to the North. The collection of uplifts in the Long Acres that give it an almost dizzying array of exposures. All of these small differences are written in the wines, and as years passed we realized that we needed to have a record of them. With time in the cellar, these wines should provide a deep dive into the terroir of a remarkable vineyard. Cellared wines from Whistling Ridge are a combination of elegance, nuance, density without weight, and compelling autumnal and forest floor aromatics. And all three of these wines have the components to be very, very special in 8-15 years, and should be a fantastic investment.

Pro-tip: If you purchased the 2018 Berserker Cuvee Pinot Noir last year, you have a fourth block bottling from the vineyard. The 2018 BC is from a single puncheon of fruit from the original Wadensville planting when the vineyard was established in 1990.

Package #4: “The Mike Evans”

A 6-pack of our premiere wines. Retail: $420 Berserker Day XII: $336 shipping included!

2x 2018 Pumphouse Block, Temperance Hill Pinot Noir (94+ Wine Advocate)
2x 2018 Heritage No. 11, Durant Vineyard Pinot Noir (95 Vinous, 95 Wine Advocate)
2x 2018 Heritage No. 12, Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir (94 Vinous, 94 Wine Advocate)

From among the plethora of riches in the 2018 vintage, this trio of wines gives a perfect insight into the quality we have been able to achieve over the past few years. Limited quantities this year, so please don’t wait if these are wines you would like.

[b[/b]…and last but not least, the 2019 Berserker Cuvee Chardonnay SOLD OUT

Retail: $40 Berserker Day XII 6-pack: $198 Berserker Day XII 12-pack: $333
This wine is in puncheon still, and bottles 3/29/21, and will ship as soon as weather permits after that.

Last years Berserker Chardonnay did not last beyond the first 20 minutes of BD, and Megan and I truly appreciate the support and enthusiasm for this wine! With each Berserker Cuvee, we’ve tried to make sure that we had a singular, and special, wine to bottle. In 2019 we added 1.5 acres of Chardonnay from Temperance Hill planted in 1998. One of Oregon’s iconic vineyards, the vines are planted in shallow volcanic soils and the Chardonnay block faces the Van Duzer corridor and its daily winds. Dry farmed, and certified organic, the fruit is intensely flavored with plenty of power and structure. 2019 was a moderate growing season, cooler than most, but hang time was not a problem. Alcohols are low, the Berserker Cuvee is 12.6%, flavors are well developed, and acids are bright and energetic. From a recent tasting; “the nose is fresh pears, subtle smoke, almond flowers, green tea, a hint of struck match. Jumps in the mouth, excellent tension, but still with some silk. Low alcohol, but ripe flavors, orchard fruit, hint of nectarine, sea water and shells with just a hint of astringency keeping things savory and bright acids to refresh.”

Pro-tip: Our Chardonnays drink well early on, but it’s well worth while to hold them. In the cellar it’s worth holding onto them for 6-12 years.

Thank you again for all of the support, have a GREAT Berserker Day, and good luck in 2021!

6 Likes

In for a six of the Berserker Day XIII

killing me marcus

1 Like

To be clear, that’s the BD Chard.

In for a six of the Berserker Cuvee Chardonnay.

Down for a case of Berserker Chardonnay and a 6 pack of pinot/cab franc

In for six of the BD XII Chard!

1 Like

+1 - had a nice chat with Megan

PS - Its XII, one Adam!! [highfive.gif]

Marcus/Megan,

I’d like a Package #2 The Philip Good as well as a 6 pack of the Cuvee Chard. Any way to take advantage of the free ship offer with only $390?

Regards,
Colleen

1 Like

In for six of the BD XII Chard.

1 Like

XIII! That is a serious futures request [wow.gif]

Honored!

1 Like

I’ll take a Scott Tallman and a case of the 2019 Berserker Cuvee Chardonnay for starters. Thanks for the shout out.

1 Like

You might as well put me down for a sixer of that as well!

Looking forward to trying the Mike Evans pack. First time order :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like six pack of the BD Chard, Scott Tallman & Bill Mauger Magnum Fiesta (for starters)!

1 Like

Awesome!

The Cab Franc story is such a random occurrence, and one of these days I’ll get it posted. But the 2018 wine has turned out incredibly well. It’s pretty funny/fun to ferment such a small amount of fruit, and when I spend and hour prepping the destemmer and an hour and a half cleaning it, to use it for about 3-4 minutes I definitely wonder what the hell I am thinking.

2 Likes

I’ll take a “James Lyon” pinot pack.

1 Like

In for a Mike Evans and a Brian Stotter Six pack.

1 Like

Count me in for a 6 of Berserker Cuvee Chardonnay (pick up plz)

1 Like