*CLOSED* Sabelli-Frisch BD12 insane offer - all the new 2019's!

The small 500ml Cuban-style Tortuga bottle I’m using for the Angelica.

Game on! So excited to be here for my 2nd BD participation! And boy do I have some interesting stuff for you guys and gals this time around! Let’s jump right into it:

I SHIP TO:
CA, NY, OR, WA, CO, NV, AZ, TX, DC, FL, IL, PA, NC, MI, VA, OK, NH, MN. AK also possible, but I have to charge you for the shipping as it’s considerably more.

WHEN WILL IT SHIP?:
End of Feb, beginning of March unless weather in your state dictates I hold on to it a bit longer.

ARE BOTTLES READY TO ENJOY WHEN THEY ARRIVE?
Kind of. They’re bottled beginning of Feb, so would probably all benefit from resting a little and getting over their ordeal, i.e. they have not seen any bottle aging to speak of before they get to you. That said, the more pop-and-pour reds and the whites are probably ready to enjoy shortly thereafter.

HOW WILL IT SHIP?
FedEx mostly, within California it might be GSO. In greater Los Angeles area, I will deliver most purchases myself in A/C’d car to guarantee cool transport (if my wife lets me borrow the family car).

WHAT’S THE SHIPPING COST?
Zero! It’s included in price of the offer for BD12!

SALES TAXES?
Yes, unfortunately I do have to collect taxes for almost all states on their behalf. It’s very annoying.

**HOW MANY OFFERS? **
This year there will be 4 offers.

ANY LIMITS ON HOW MUCH?
Nope! Buy as much as you want, but I have to tell you that I made only 1 barrel, or 25 cases of the Syrah, so that will likely sell out fast. I’ve allocated 250 bottles in total of the Syrah to the various packages:

120 bottles to each Package 1: BD Sampler Case package
80 to the Package 2: BD Sampler 9-Pack
50 to the Package 3: BD Red Only Sampler 4-pack.

Once they’re gone, they’re gone and the package is sold out! Also, due to logistics (it just being me and my wife packaging it all), I can’t really do substitutions and the packages are pretty set. If you absolutely have to make a request or substitution, email me and I’ll see what I can do, but try to be mindful that it’s hard to keep track across multiple platforms and easy to screw up (as I don’t have dedicated software to keep track).

HANG ON - HOW COME THE FULL CASE HAS LESS DISCOUNT PERCENTAGE?
Because it contains the 500ml Angelica, a high value item only made in about 70 cases.

OFFER 1: BD SAMPLER CASE:
This is the full 12 case offer that includes:

1x 2018 “El Aliso" Angelica, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red dessert wine. Regular price: $49/bottle.
2x 2019 “La Malinche” Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2019 “Hernan” Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $35/bottle.
1x 2019 “Harris” Syrah, Knowles Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $40/bottle.
1x 2018 “Luciades” Tinta Caõ, Tamayo Vineyard, Contra Costa County. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2019 “Milk Fed 2” Petit Manseng, Saureel Vineyard, El Dorado AVA, CA. White wine. Limited edition wine that will only be available for 2019 vintage (variety changes each year) in 1200 bottles. Regular price: $40/bottle.
1x 2019 “Obie" Riesling, Curtis Vineyard, Santa Ynez AVA, CA. White wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
2x 2019 “Lanterna” Flame Tokay, Chandler Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA, CA. Rosé. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2018 “La Malinche” Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2018 “Gordon W.” Alicante Bouschet, San Joaquin County, CA. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.

REGULAR PRICE: $404 + shipping.
YOUR PRICE: $299 incl. shipping! 26% price reduction before shipping, so with shipping closer to 40%!

LINK TO BUY THIS OFFER:

No longer available.

OFFER 2: BD SAMPLER 9-PACK:
This is a 9 bottle sampler that includes:

1x 2019 “La Malinche” Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2019 “Hernan” Mission, Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $35/bottle.
1x 2019 “Harris” Syrah, Knowles Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $40/bottle.
1x 2018 “Luciades” Tinta Caõ, Tamayo Vineyard, Contra Costa County. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2019 “Milk Fed 2” Petit Manseng, Saureel Vineyard, El Dorado AVA, CA. White wine. Limited edition wine that will only be available for 2019 vintage (variety changes each year) in 1200 bottles. Regular price: $40/bottle.
1x 2019 “Obie" Riesling, Curtis Vineyard, Santa Ynez AVA, CA. White wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2019 “Lanterna” Flame Tokay, Chandler Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA, CA. Rosé. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2018 “Gordon W.” Alicante Bouschet, San Joaquin County, CA. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2018 “La Malinche” Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.

REGULAR PRICE: $295 + shipping.
YOUR PRICE: $199 incl. shipping! 33% price reduction before shipping, so with shipping closer to 50%!

LINK TO BUY THIS OFFER:

https://www.sabelli-frisch.com/wines/bd9

OFFER 3: BD RED ONLY SAMPLER 4-PACK:
This is a 4 bottle sampler that includes:

1x 2019 “La Malinche” Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $30/bottle.
1x 2019 “Hernan” Mission, Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA. Red wine. Regular price: $35/bottle.

REGULAR PRICE: $135 + shipping.
YOUR PRICE: $99 incl. shipping! 27% price reduction before shipping, so with shipping closer to 40%!

LINK TO BUY THIS OFFER:

https://www.sabelli-frisch.com/wines/bd4

OFFER 4: BD PATRICK TAYLOR SPECIAL ROSÉ ONLY 3-PACK:
This is a 3 bottle sampler that includes:

3x 2019 “Lanterna” Flame Tokay, Chandler Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA, CA. Rosé. Regular price: $30/bottle.

REGULAR PRICE: $90 + shipping.
YOUR PRICE: $69 incl. shipping! 23% price reduction before shipping, so with shipping closer to 40%!

LINK TO BUY THIS OFFER:

https://www.sabelli-frisch.com/wines/bd3

THE WINES:

2019 “La Malinche”: Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA, CA.

ABV: 12.5%

Tasting notes: Fruity strawberry notes, peppery, soft but developed tannins, smooth mouthfeel. Feminine, as one taster referred to it.

Style: A little lighter both in color and mouthfeel than the 2018, with a little more acidity, but still with those classic Mission tannins and markers.

Aging: Pop and pour, but could probably take a few years too.

Vineyard: Somers Vineyard might have some of the oldest Mission vines in the US. Nobody knows exactly how old they are - opinions differ. But for sure at least 50 years old, probably more. They grow right next to the river in the Mokelumne River AVA and are dry farmed, roots running deep into the sandy soils to get to water table.

Cases made: 600

2019 “Hernan”: Mission, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA, CA.

ABV: 12.9%

Tasting notes: A saline nose, then the strawberry and red fruit notes, maybe some honeydew melon, some white pepper, soft but velvety tannins, smooth mouthfeel. Very elegant.

Style: A new style for this year. I wanted to experiment with a “bigger” Mission in a hypothetical style along the lines of “what if Napa made Mission?”. Now, it’s still a light wine, don’t get me wrong, but tipping the hat in that direction. The grapes were harvested later into the season, then spent 4 months in amphora on the skins to really get some tannin integration. Aged on about 40% new oak, to really add elegance and mouthfeel. A rounder, more elegant Mission. Love it, and will probably go even further down this line in 2020 vintage. Mission takes very well to oak toasts.

Aging: Pop and pour, but could probably take a few years too.

Vineyard: See notes under “La Malinche”.

Cases made: 75

2019 “Harris”: Syrah, Knowles Vineyard, Mokelumne River AVA, CA.

ABV: 13.3%

Tasting notes: A pretty fresh and light Syrah, with all the fruit intact. Perhaps stylistically a little unusual in that it has some mild oak profiling (around 40%), despite being in the lighter category.

Style: Cautious not to make an over-ripe Syrah and where fruit is obscured, I still wanted the polish of some mild oak profiling to complement. Perhaps not a common combo - lightness, acid and oak, but here it is. I think it’s very compelling.

Aging: Despite its freshness, this is one that should probably lay down a little to integrate and bottle age. It has great acidity, so can handle the time.

Vineyard: Knowles Vineyard, used to be owned by the well known (in wine circuits) Mettler family. And sometime in the late 60’s someone in the family smuggled in clippings from Australian “Shiraz” plantings and planted them here in the sandy soils of the Mokelumne River as an experiment. This makes it one of the oldest, if not the oldest, Syrah planting in the Lodi region. At some point this tiny parcel of a vineyard got sold off and these Syrah grapes bounced around a few smaller producers (who produced some award winning wines from them), but because it produces less than a ton a year, it’s often not enough fruit to make it worth it. I was offered the fruit for a few years, but didn’t think Syrah fit my winery profile (despite it being one of my favorite varieties). But in the end, as it was so little fruit, I thought, why not give it a try? I’m glad I did. Now I’m gonna hold on to them, but it also unfortunately means I’ll never be able to make much of it.

Cases made: 25

2019 “Milk Fed 2”: Petit Manseng, Saureel Vineyard, El Dorado, CA. Limited Edition (only about 1200 bottles made).

ABV: 13.9%

Tasting notes: Tamarind, orange peel, pineapple, but much less oxidative than last year’s Marsanne. A creamy barrel profile. Elegant and silky.

Style: Having grown a little tired of the seriousness of some skin-contact whites, this one only had contact with skins during primary fermentation and was then pressed into amphora to add some of those mineral notes and help it micro oxygenate. In the summer of 2020 we added some light oak profiling to the wine. The new oak was a last minute idea, and it gave it a great, creamy quality that polished those tannins into something elevated. I’m not a huge fan of oak on whites, but here the tannins get tempered by the sweetness of the oak and balances it extremely nicely. Love this wine, it’s one of my favorites in the lineup.

Aging: Built to age, for sure, but is equally accessible now. It’s one of those wines that can stay open in fridge for 5 days and taste even better at the end.

Vineyard: Saureel vineyard in El Dorado County is a higher elevation, cooler site. This is from very young vines and in fact this was only the second year they produced fruit. A very rare grape in CA.

Cases made: 100

2018 “El Aliso”: Angelica, Somers Vineyard, Mokelumne River, CA.

ABV: 18%

Tasting notes: Butterscotch and nutty flavors in this historic sweet Angelica wine. Very close to a tawny port, but perhaps just a touch less sweet. A brick-ish red hue in color and a mouth-covering endless finish that warms the soul.

Style: I can not take credit for this historic wine. This was the last barrel and-a-half made by the great winemaker Bryan Harrington, before he decided to retire as a winemaker. He contacted me this fall, knowing my affection for the Mission grape, and asked me if I was interested in taking over his Angelica. To which I of course said yes! It had always been in the back of my mind to one day do an Angelica, but as a newer winemaker I didn’t want to jump right into it (as it requires a different set of skills and winemaking practices). So I’m extra glad I could get a jump start by taking over Bryans wine that was already aged to perfection and ready to bottle! It has inspired me so much that I’m now scrambling to get my ducks in a row so I can produce my own Angelica for the 2021 vintage. I inherited Bryan’s recipe for his Angelica, so should be able to produce something in the vein of his great effort.

Aging: This will age forever.

Vineyard: See La Malinche.

Cases made: 70

2018 “Luciades”: Tinta Caõ, Tamayo Vineyard, Contra Costa, CA.

ABV: 14.6%

Tasting notes: Cassis, violets and pith. More on the rustic side due to prevalent tannins. A long end and a wine with a nice mouthfeel, but robust.

Style: This wine was supposed to be released last year, but it was almost too overpowering in tannins. It needed those 2 extra years to calm down and find it’s way. I know some members here have not been impressed by single varietal Tinta Caõ’s in the past, but I do think this one is different. Yes, it’s a big homely hound of a wine, made for winter stews and open fires, but still on the nuanced side. It is rustic, but not monolithic. This is the wine that surprised me the most on how much it changed - the duckling literally turned into a swan in the last year of aging.

Aging: This will age for a long time, it has the tannins to see it through.

Vineyard: Jeff Tamayo farms impeccably outside the commune of Brentwood in Contra Costa County. He’s surrounded by new developments and urban sprawl encroaching on his vineyard, so hopefully he can hold on into the future.

Cases made: 200

2019 “Obie”: Riesling, Curtis Vineyard, Santa Ynez AVA, CA.

ABV: 13.1%

Tasting notes: On the nose, very much Riesling, but on the palate it veers into more Chard notes like pineapple and cream, with just a hint of green apples. For those who have endured my rants - this is completely bone dry, of course. Very polished and elegant, not at all austere.

Style: Due to shortage of tanks towards end of harvest in 2019, this was barrel fermented in neutral oak. The plan was to initially do it in steel or amphora, but logistics decided otherwise. And what a great forcing of the hand that was - the wine has a very creamy, elegant feel to it due to this, having gone through ML. I’m over the moon with how well this turned out.

Aging: I’m pretty confident it will age well like most R, but it’s equally good to go now.

Vineyard: Curtis Vineyard sits atop a hill in the Santa Ynez AVA by the small town of Los Olivos. On old sea-bed soils, this is one of the few places on the pacific side where the coastline runs east to west. This allows cool sea air direct access into the valleys and makes this area a cool climate growing region for all intents and purposes. Perfect for Riesling.

Cases made: 50

2019 “Lanterna”: Flame Tokay, Mokelumne River AVA, CA.

ABV: 12%

Tasting notes: Because of its slightly shorter skin-contact this year, it’s a little more accessible and less tannic and oxidative than last year. The brambly apple notes and olive tapenade that I got last year are still there, but slightly dialed back. Bizarrely, darker in color, tough, which has mystified us. Wonderful summer delight.

Style: This super-rare variety has a pink skin which makes it possible to make a rosé by skin-contact. The wine’s color is solely imparted by the 3 weeks of skin contact it had during fermentation. This creates a rosé with some aged qualities, yet brimming with fruit. I like to call it an amber rosé. Aged in neutral oak for 15 months.

Vineyard: Mainly from the Chandler Vineyard’s 120 year old vines. But this year I scoured the land for some more Flame Tokay, and found about an extra half ton in the Lauchland Vineyard on the other side of Lodi (Jahant AVA). This allowed me to make a little bit more than I did the year before. An amazing treat to be able to work with such historic and largely forgotten vines and perhaps breathe a little new purpose into them.

Cases made: 120

Library wines:
2018 “Gordon W.”: Alicante Bouschet, San Joaquin County, CA.
2018 “La Malinche.”: Mission, Mokelumne River, CA.

See last year’s descriptions.

Thank you for this opportunity to share my wines and for the opportunity to participate again! And please use your Grand Reserve Master Card to get points on this purchase, if you have it!

Flame Tokay grapes from 2020 harvest.

2 Likes

I’m so happy to have found WB and so happy to participate in BD12 and was so excited to make my first WB BD12 purchase to Sabelli Frisch.
Truly, Michael

“case order in” :slight_smile: (9 bottle offer actually & paypal and shipping fee credited thank you!)
Excited!

1 Like

Adam, I’m trying to buy the 9-bottle sampler and it’s charging me shipping. Also Paypal seems to be the only payment option. Is that correct?

1 Like

Adam, The case offer is also charging $20 shipping. Should I order anyway and you can credit the shipping later?

1 Like

Done! But yes, early on it says shipping included, then the price per offer says plus shipping, and yes Paypal added shipping.

Love the Mission!

1 Like

Would love a 4 pack…but I refuse to use PayPal. Any other options?

1 Like

Paul-
Went to buy a 9 pack but it’s charging shipping. Will you credit later??

1 Like

Adam -

I am likewise trying to buy the 9 pack and it shows $20 shipping ? And California?

1 Like

same. It’s wanting to add on shipping. I’ll keep the cart open just let us know if I need to put in a code or something else. Thanks.

1 Like

Adam’s wines are not to be missed. Excited to be able to try the flame tokay this time around

1 Like

Fixed the shipping now, sorry, I’ll refund those that have bought already. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

In all my excitement to grab these I didn’t even notice the shipping was added

1 Like

In for a 9-pack. The flame tokay is not to be missed. It was my DOTY and rose WOTY for 2020.

1 Like

Order placed! Adam’s wines were at the top of my list for today and they should be on yours, too.

1 Like

Thanks Adam. Order in.

1 Like

Wow! Already got the shipping credited.

1 Like

In for the 9 bottle sampler!

1 Like

Me and the wife don’t drink much wine from the US, but the interesting grapes and old world approach caught our attention last year and we absolutely loved every wine. Can’t wait to get our hands on these. Hoping shipping opens up to MA sometime in the future, it’s going to be extra hard waiting to pick these up from out of state family this year.

1 Like

Just placed my order for the 9 bottle offer. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

In for the 4 pack!

1 Like